• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting question

Newb with a hunting question. Can you hunt with a rifle in MA? I've yet to get my hunting license (taking the course in a couple months), but a guy I know said you can only hunt bow, shotgun and blackpowder in MA... is this correct? If so, why the hell not!?

From the MassWildlife website:

Hunting with Rifles

It is lawful to hunt birds and mammals in Massachusetts with a rifle of any caliber and with a magazine capacity of any size, EXCEPT:

1. The hunting of deer with a rifle is PROHIBITED except for the use of shotguns and primitive firearms (muzzleloaders) with a rifled bore.

2. The hunting of wild turkey with a rifle is PROHIBITED.

3. The hunting of migratory game birds with a rifle is PROHIBITED.

4. The hunting of gray squirrel with a rifle is PROHIBITED in wildlife management zones 10 through 14.

5. The only rifles lawful for hunting black bear are those chambered .23 caliber and larger; or muzzle-loading rifles .44 to .775 caliber, fired from the shoulder, using a single projectile.

6. On Wildlife Management Areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail seasons, rifles of any caliber are PROHIBITED, except for the use of rifles chambered not larger than .22 long rifle ammunition for the hunting of raccoon and opossum between the hours of 9:00 P.M. to 3:00 A.M.

7. During the period from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, the use or possession of any rifle chambered to take larger than .22 long rifle ammunition is PROHIBITED.

8. Refer to the summary of the requirements relative to primitive ("muzzle-loading") firearms for more information relative to hunting with those implements.

9. NOTE: some cities or towns (e.g. Amherst) may have ordinances or bylaws prohibiting the discharge of rifles (but allowing the discharge of shotguns).

10. Check the firearms statutes pursuant to M.G.L. c. 140 and c. 269 for laws affecting the possession, carrying, and use of "large capacity" rifles and feeding devices.

This is not the complete law and is subject to change. Refer to provisions of M.G.L. c. 131, §§ 4, 67 and 70, and to several provision of the Code of Massachusetts Regulations, 321 CMR.

Regulations as of 10-05-07.

Link here: Hunting with Rifles

ETA: I've found the "plain language summaries" to be quite helpful personally, quite the contrast to most other laws/regulations in this state.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies. one other question, if I get my MA hunting license and I have a Class A LTC, can I hunt in NH with that? Or do I have to get the same for that state? Sorry for the ignorance, but I've just started shooting so I'm still learning.

No need to apologize at all. I am too. I always follow these hunting threads rather than posting questions myself...so thank you.

thanks for the replies. one other question, if I get my MA hunting license and I have a Class A LTC, can I hunt in NH with that? Or do I have to get the same for that state? Sorry for the ignorance, but I've just started shooting so I'm still learning.

You need to get a hunting lic. in THAT state you are going to hunt in. They want proof that you have taken a Hunter Safety Course or a hunting lic. from any other sate (all states require the HSC so if you got a licence in another state it is assumed you took to HSC) So if you want to hunt in NH, you need a NON-Residents hunting license. If you go to VT or ME, you need a separate lic. in each state.

As far as rifles go, MA. is shot gun only because of the population, too many people and homes around to use a high powered rifle. Southern NH, same thing. You have to get above Concord NH to use rifle. Maine, still a rifle state!

As stated above. This is not true. I can hunt coyote and woodchuck in Shrewsbury with a 30-06 if I want to.

Really? Is that because it more "west" of the more populated areas? I mean around here, metro boston and north as well as south shore, there is less than a mile between homes in any direction. As far as I know a 22 would be all you could use for those varmets. I guess I will have to check up more on that..

Living out here in the hills of Western Ma**h***ville, shotgun only deer hunting sucks the big.......ask Barny he knows. I can drive down to Ct. and hunt private land 10+ ac. with the .308 & they will give me 2 tags.

Great complete answer Ochmude!

I confused deer (bow,shotgun,muzzleloader only) with all the other critters for 2 years.

I plan to try my AR-15 on coyotes in Zone 10 in October! You can bait and use electronic calls on them too, unlike deer in MA.

Back
Top Bottom