• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting Boots

Boghog1

NES Member
The LL Bean thread got me thinking. I currently have my maine hunting boots but previously had used Lacrosse Burly boots and I was wondering what is out there for knee height rubber boots. I saw some a while back that were lite weight and only about 2 1/2lbs per pair. any off brand pairs you might suggest? I hate spending $150 on a pair of boots just because of a name

Depends on what you are looking for. I have a pair of "Field and Stream" from Dicks that were about $80. They are the warmest boots I ever owned, but havey and a bit like walking in ski boots.

I also have some Mucks that I love. Not quite as warm as the F&S, but much lighter and much more comfortable.

I'm still wearing a pair of LL Bean Pack boots for hunting. In fact I have them on right now after clearing the slow. They are a bit heavy but it's like going barefoot in the woods. You can feel every rock and stick before you put your weight down.

I've had the bottoms changed out once and have no idea what I'd replace them with if Bean won't replace the bottoms next time.

Depends on what you are looking for. I have a pair of "Field and Stream" from Dicks that were about $80. They are the warmest boots I ever owned, but havey and a bit like walking in ski boots.

I also have some Mucks that I love. Not quite as warm as the F&S, but much lighter and much more comfortable.

+1 Here. I have the F&S 1000gr boots. They are amazing. Warmest boots I've owned yet.

One thing I like about LLBean is there warranty. I had boots that I used for two seasons and the tread on them would get caked up mud and then freeze. I returned them for a different set of boots. They definitely had some wear on them but I was able to exchange them with no problem.

You have to remember that there are no one good "hunting boots"

Boots that are good for October pheasant hunts suck for November duck hunts in a marsh. And boots that work for each of those suck on a late December deer stand when wind chills are below zero. And vice versa.

I like LL Bean for upland, Muck for waterfowl, and the F&S for late deer because of the warmth. They're all good when used for the right application.

Back
Top Bottom