Hunter's Education Class

Hey everyone,
New to the forum, my name is James. Before my question I addmitt I have researched but couldnt find the answer i was looking for.

I need to take the hunter's safety course for Massachusetts because this is going to be the first that I apply for a Hunter's License. I went to the mass wildlife website and they have the list up to date, but unfortunately none of the offered classes through there fit anywhere near my schedule. Is it possible to take a private class somewhere else? Are there other classes at other places I can take?

Thank you in advance everyone
- James

EDIT: Literally I searched for 30 minutes yesterday and didnt find an alternative option. Today I found that they offer a distance learning class over the computer. I didnt see that before this post. I would still see if any of the locals have other information, but if a mod/admin sees it necessary they can delete this post. thank you again

Last edited:
Thank You both for your quick input
I'am aware of the classes that were offered through Mass WildLife, the problem with me is none of those classes are offered remotely near me, or at a date Im available. The reason I asked is because I didnt know if there was a private class offered, or additional dates to that list from the MWL site.
Thanks again
- James

I have been in the same boat. I would love to take the class, but have limmited time. I think the key is to get to it early in the season when there are classes availible and suck up the schedueling thing somehow.

You can take the class in any state. It doesn’t have to be in Massachusetts. Take the NH online course and try to get to one of thier field days. After completion of the Basic hunter ed course you also qualify to hunt in any state as well as Canada.

Private classes are not an option in Mass. The scheduling is set by the volunteer instructors, mass wildlife and the safety and training bureau of the mass epo.
Like the others have posted in you can take any hunters ed course in any state and it will be honored by all other states. If your on vacation in washington state you could take the course there and buy a mass hunting license upon returning home.

I took my first class in the Hunter Education series last evening and it went pretty well.

The instructor seems decent...a guy with 20 yrs in the Army and 20+ with state law enforcement. Lots of years experience in firearms training.

Six nights over three weeks is a big commitment, but at least I'm optimistic based on the first course.

The big bonus...less than ten miles from my house!

ETA: Well the course finished last Thursday...everyone passed. About 25 students...a good mix of adults and teenagers. The course definitely could have been done in less time, but hey, it got me out of the house a few evenings. The instructor was pretty good...lots of anecdotes and I was pleasantly surprised how strong he pitched gun rights, 2A, and his political views.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom