Hunter Safety Class?

The Edge Lab

Dealer
NES Member
I searched and could find anything...

Can someone suggest a good hunter safety class I Massachusetts?

Also are there other hunting classes or seminars available to learn about hunting in general? I know CCGW had a class but I couldn’t make that.

I searched and could find anything...

Can someone suggest a good hunter safety class I Massachusetts?

Also are there other hunting classes or seminars available to learn about hunting in general? I know CCGW had a class but I couldn’t make that.

Here is a link to the Mass Hunter Ed offerings.

Basic Hunter Education course offerings

Best way to learn is to team up with someone that hunts what you want to hunt. What kind of hunting are you looking to do?

Bob

Here is a link to the Mass Hunter Ed offerings.

Basic Hunter Education course offerings

Best way to learn is to team up with someone that hunts what you want to hunt. What kind of hunting are you looking to do?

Bob
Thanks...

I saw those but wasn’t sure if anyone here had specific recommendations. Mostly looking to hunt deer with shotgun or muzzle loader next year.

Last edited:
What method of deer hunting? archery, shotgun, muzzle loader.

This season or next season? It’s very difficult to get into a Hunter Ed class this time of year but there is an Online option.

This is a great series of videos from the Maine Department of Fisheries and Wildlife. It is a great primer to get started hunting and processing your deer at home.

Bob

Hunting is an outdoor sport many enjoy while learning new skills, receiving fitness benefits and bringing healthy food options to their table. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Wildlife & Sport Fish Restoration Program, reported 36,825 licences for 2017 as hunting continues to be a recognized and respected sport.
Purdue Extension-Forestry and Natural Resources has recently increased their resources for handling harvested game. This new video series shares step by step instructions starting with field dressing and continuing all the way through to packaging.

Video Series:
Handling Harvested Game: Episode 1, Field Dressing
Handling Harvested Game: Episode 2, Hanging & Skinning
Handling Harvested Game: Episode 3, Deboning
Handling Harvested Game: Episode 4, Cutting, Grinding & Packaging

Other resources:
How to Score Your White-tailed Deer, video, The Education Store, Purdue Extension Resource Center
White-Tailed Deer Post Harvest Collection, video, The Education Store
Age Determination in White-tailed Deer, video, The Education Store,
How to Build a Plastic Mesh Deer Exclusion Fence, The Education Store,
Bovine Tuberculosis in Wild White-tailed Deer, The Education Store,

More resources with Indiana Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and Purdue Extension:
Indiana Deer Hunting, Biology and Management

Food Safety & Handling Take-Home Tips (80kb pdf)
Deer Tips 1: Scouting
Deer Tips 2: Practice
Deer Tips 3: Clothing
Deer Tips 4: Hunting Private Lands
Deer Tips 5: Location, Location
Deer Tips 6: Etiquette
Deer Tips 7: Tracking
Deer Tips 8: After the Harvest
Deer Tips 9: Final Thoughts
Deer Processing 1: Skinning

Thanks...

I saw those but wasn’t sure if anyone here had specific recommendations. Mostly looking to hunt deer with shotgun or muzzle loader
You don't have to take the mass hunter Ed to get a hunting license. Any hunter Ed from any state will qualify you for a hunting license.

Texas.....completely online see below. Once completed......purchase your hunting license in mass online. The site will ask you to "certify under penalty of purgery that you ha e completed hunter Ed course". Click yes......purchase....print.

Texas Online Hunter Safety Course | Hunter-ed.com™

You don't have to take the mass hunter Ed to get a hunting license. Any hunter Ed from any state will qualify you for a hunting license.

Texas.....completely online see below. Once completed......purchase your hunting license in mass online. The site will ask you to "certify under penalty of purgery that you ha e completed hunter Ed course". Click yes......purchase....print.

Fantastic thanks!

What method of deer hunting? archery, shotgun, muzzle loader.

This season or next season? It’s very difficult to get into a Hunter Ed class this time of year but there is an Online option.

This is a great series of videos from the Maine Department of Fisheries and Wildlife. It is a great primer to get started hunting and processing your deer at home.

Bob

Hunting is an outdoor sport many enjoy while learning new skills, receiving fitness benefits and bringing healthy food options to their table. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Wildlife & Sport Fish Restoration Program, reported 36,825 licences for 2017 as hunting continues to be a recognized and respected sport.
Purdue Extension-Forestry and Natural Resources has recently increased their resources for handling harvested game. This new video series shares step by step instructions starting with field dressing and continuing all the way through to packaging.

Video Series:
Handling Harvested Game: Episode 1, Field Dressing
Handling Harvested Game: Episode 2, Hanging & Skinning
Handling Harvested Game: Episode 3, Deboning
Handling Harvested Game: Episode 4, Cutting, Grinding & Packaging

Other resources:
How to Score Your White-tailed Deer, video, The Education Store, Purdue Extension Resource Center
White-Tailed Deer Post Harvest Collection, video, The Education Store
Age Determination in White-tailed Deer, video, The Education Store,
How to Build a Plastic Mesh Deer Exclusion Fence, The Education Store,
Bovine Tuberculosis in Wild White-tailed Deer, The Education Store,

More resources with Indiana Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and Purdue Extension:
Indiana Deer Hunting, Biology and Management

Food Safety & Handling Take-Home Tips (80kb pdf)
Deer Tips 1: Scouting
Deer Tips 2: Practice
Deer Tips 3: Clothing
Deer Tips 4: Hunting Private Lands
Deer Tips 5: Location, Location
Deer Tips 6: Etiquette
Deer Tips 7: Tracking
Deer Tips 8: After the Harvest
Deer Tips 9: Final Thoughts
Deer Processing 1: Skinning
He doesn't need to wait. Texas online hunter Ed......couple of evenings, good wifi, a laptop and a couple beers while taking the class. Done

Absolutely true and the only way you are going to get a Hunter Ed cert to hunt this season.

Mass Hunter Ed is free but there is a small fee for the Texas class. The major downside to not taking the Mass course is the Mass law review for a new hunter.

OP, where are you located?

Bob

Fantastic thanks!
I'm under the assumption of course that you already have an fid or ltc for fire arms.

If that's the case then the Texas online will get you your hunting license in mass. On line classes from other states don't count as the safety class for fid card in mass......that has to be a mass course if you are using it for an fid application.

Absolutely true and the only way you are going to get a Hunter Ed cert to hunt this season.

Mass Hunter Ed is free but there is a small fee for the Texas class. The major downside to not taking the Mass course is the Mass law review for a new hunter.

Bob
Im located in Milford,MA.

I’m in no rush. I’d actually like to take the class with my kids. They are mature 12 and 14 year olds who have a passion for firearms and the outdoors. The older is really interested in turkey hunting. Watches all the turkey hunt shows on the outdoor channel.

Bob
That is true about mass specific regs. However.....if the op is up to snuff hell read the abstract well and should be good to go.

Fwiw I took my class in NH many moons ago because the mass classes were full. Took the course up there in early April and was turkey hunting that season......bagged a doe that fall with my army buddies. I've been blessed with good army friends and access to good land to hunt.

I’m in no rush. I’d actually like to take the class with my kids. They are mature 12 and 14 year olds who have a passion for firearms and the outdoors. The older is really interested in turkey hunting. Watches all the turkey hunt shows on the outdoor channel.

You could take the Texas class and hunt this year and take the Mass Hunter Ed class in the spring with your kids when there isn’t so much demand.

Massachusetts Hunter Ed has a bunch of great courses and they are free. I highly recommend the Map, Compass, and Survival course.

Bob

awsome. Get em out there we need more hunters! I got into it when my son begged me to take him when he was 12. I'm glad he did. He bagged his first deer at 15 years old and as a family we've had venison in the freezer 5 straight years now. I take him small game hunting every chance we get now......wife even got into it and got a buck a few years back now. We hunt snowshoe hare in Maine a couple times a year now too.......it's become quite a way if life for us and I'm greatful that my son asked me to start.

You could take the Texas class and hunt this year and take the Mass Hunter Ed class in the spring with your kids when there isn’t so much demand.

Massachusetts Hunter Ed has a bunch of great courses and they are free. I highly recommend the Map, Compass, and Survival course.

Bob
I saw that class... I signed up for all the notifications. I’ll have a busy winter.

awsome. Get em out there we need more hunters! I got into it when my son begged me to take him when he was 12. I'm glad he did. He bagged his first deer at 15 years old and as a family we've had venison in the freezer 5 straight years now. I take him small game hunting every chance we get now......wife even got into it and got a buck a few years back now. We hunt snowshoe hare in Maine a couple times a year now too.......it's become quite a way if life for us and I'm greatful that my son asked me to start.
That’s awesome... want to do the same.

Bob
I sent my son to the youth camp out in Western mass.....the week long one when he was 15. Great program run by mass epo.

I saw that class... I signed up for all the notifications. I’ll have a busy winter.

They are all great classes. I have taken several. One of the members here is an instructor and I am sure that he will post when he sees this thread. I’m sure he will have some good ideas.

Ticks are a major issue with all of the tick borne diseases there are today. Make sure that you have a plan to deal with them. I have been using permethrin for many years and it works great for me.

Bob

Most of the volunteer Hunter Safety instructors will be in the woods until January.... the courses will be on the website up there....

{lots in Central Mass Jan-Sept}

Back
Top Bottom