How Turkey gets to the supermarket

One of the guys that I went to college with was from Israel. He found it amusing that we traditionally celebrate Thanksgiving Day with a turkey dinner shared with family. He told me that Israel is the second-largest per capita consumer of turkey, after the United States. Their kosher standards for preparation are most likely different from the norm here.

I don't really care how it gets to the supermarket. I care about how it gets to my PLATE...

Of course, I'm smoking a whole breast section (about 7-3/4#) on my BGE today. :)

I think those Turkey's names are Nancy P and Chuck C.

I don't know but maybe we should use that machine on politicians when they lie cheat and steal money from tue American people then maybe they would stop lying cheating and stealing.

Last edited:
40 + years back my wife was in a month long training class for analysts in Austin.....and got friendly with this woman from the Deep South named Georgia....who had worked summers through college......in her words...”cutting the a**h*** out of turkeys on the line at the factory”!! She was VERY happy to have secured the analyst gig!!

fresh poultry trucks are some of the grossest trucks to receive at the food warehouse , eggs are up next , pork before it became cryopacked

fresh poultry trucks are some of the grossest trucks to receive at the food warehouse , eggs are up next , pork before it became cryopacked
Seriously though, I know for some who’ve seen these things firsthand they’ve changed their dietary ways permanently.

40 + years back my wife was in a month long training class for analysts in Austin.....and got friendly with this woman from the Deep South named Georgia....who had worked summers through college......in her words...”cutting the a**h*** out of turkeys on the line at the factory”!! She was VERY happy to have secured the analyst gig!!

Years ago I did business with a very large particle board mill in LA (lower Alabama). Strong union shop, which was unusual for that area. Over the course of a couple years labor costs escalated and the relationship between management and labor soured. I heard several supervisors and operators say that they'd be perfectly happy to run the plant into the ground just to spite the company and management. They got their wish. The punchline and tie to this thread was that the only other employer in the county was a massive poultry processing plant. I'll bet the pay stunk as much as the work.

I've been in some of those plants.
It's not a smell that would make you want to eat poultry again.
Birds are far nastier smelling inside than mammals .
That's a fact. My family was always trying their hand at raising critters. One year it was two dozen turkeys. When it was slaughter time I couldn't get the stink out of my mouth. I became a vegetarian for a month or so. Dipping them in hot water to make the plucking easier didn't exactly smell like apple pie either. Hot, wet, shiit and blood covered feathers smells exactly like it sounds.

I've been in some of those plants.
It's not a smell that would make you want to eat poultry again.
Birds are far nastier smelling inside than mammals .

AOC does not like any smells. In the future only certain brands of perfumes will be allowed to pollute our pristine environment. Please, contact AOC's Green New Team and report your findings to these brilliant young minds. Birds need to be included into Smelly Animals We Need to Terminate Forever category.

I was pretty sure "how" involved Mr. Carlson and a helicopter. As God as my witness I thought that.

How Cranberry sauce gets to the turkey.

View: https://youtu.be/NtAboa4k968

Yeahno. In 15 min, you can make home-made non-slice-able cranberry sauce on your stove top.

"Isn't that pretty." No. It's f'ing NOT, Janet!

And DAMN! People make how-to videos on EVERYTHING on Youtube. How to get cranberry sauce out of a can??? Honestly?? What are her other selections? How to wipe your own ass? Breathing in 2 Easy Steps?? Ugh! LOL

Don't like the smell from butchering your own birds? Hunt pheasant, partridge, or duck and instead of a full cleaning just filet the breasts right off the bird then take the thighs and legs. No need to spill guts and crap all over the place and you are not missing much meat. Only reason to clean the whole bird is if you really want to roast or smoke the whole thing.

Don't like the smell from butchering your own birds? Hunt pheasant, partridge, or duck and instead of a full cleaning just filet the breasts right off the bird then take the thighs and legs. No need to spill guts and crap all over the place and you are not missing much meat. Only reason to clean the whole bird is if you really want to roast or smoke the whole thing.

I do the same with geese and ducks.
Soak the breasts in baking soda and water overnight, cut into small pieces , fry with olive oil and garlic and right into the spaghetti sauce for either over pasta or make lasagna .
Partridge is easy , step on the wings , pull on the legs and done.

it is the shmoo trust me you wear rubber boots & apron pulling pallets off the truck

Seriously though, I know for some who’ve seen these things firsthand they’ve changed their dietary ways permanently.

I got stuck behind a chicken truck once.
That was one time too many.
Feathers and stench.
I do still love me some chicken though.
Had it for supper today, as a matter of fact.

Barry

Back
Top Bottom