• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to tell what FA-10's were filed?

Prepper

NES Member
I'm trying to organize my filing mess, and one folder I have is for my gun purchase information. I haven't been able to find my copy of an FA-10 for a long gun that I bought in Maine. Is there a way that I can query a database to find out if that FA-10 ever got filed properly? I'm pretty sure the Maine dealer was the one that was mailing in the FA-10 form, but I bought it a long time ago so the details are fuzzy.

OUT-of-state Dealers are NOT supposed to be filing FA-10s. Look at the form and you'll see it calls for the MA DEALER's number (or LTC #) NOT the FFL number!

He probably filled it out and then threw it out.

Go to CHSB's website, they have a form which you can submit with payment ($25 IIRC) to get a list of what CHSB has on file for you. From a friend, he found that they did NOT have everything that he'd bought listed and FA-10s that he had in hand apparently weren't scanned into the system. I'm sure that there is a finite error factor on what's in the system.

So this brings up another question I've wondered about

OUT-of-state Dealers are NOT supposed to be filing FA-10s. Look at the form and you'll see it calls for the MA DEALER's number (or LTC #) NOT the FFL number!

He probably filled it out and then threw it out.

Go to CHSB's website, they have a form which you can submit with payment ($25 IIRC) to get a list of what CHSB has on file for you. From a friend, he found that they did NOT have everything that he'd bought listed and FA-10s that he had in hand apparently weren't scanned into the system. I'm sure that there is a finite error factor on what's in the system.

It is the seller's responsibility in MA to send in the FA-10. Suppose he doesn't?
Is my signed copy enough to stay out of trouble if they ever come banging on the door?

It is the seller's responsibility in MA to send in the FA-10. Suppose he doesn't?
Is my signed copy enough to stay out of trouble if they ever come banging on the door?

Should be . . . like anything else it's subject to a PO, DA, judge and jury interpretation!

Personally I can sleep at night knowing that every one (or damn close) of my FA-10s are secured in a safe. Mostly just because, but now that would allow the sale of guns I've owned for 30 years (at a MA premium [wink] ) if I ever felt the need.

I never thought of putting them in the safe

Should be . . . like anything else it's subject to a PO, DA, judge and jury interpretation!

Personally I can sleep at night knowing that every one (or damn close) of my FA-10s are secured in a safe. Mostly just because, but now that would allow the sale of guns I've owned for 30 years (at a MA premium [wink] ) if I ever felt the need.

But it's not a bad idea to make copies and put them in the safe. I just keep mine in a folder in the bookshelf. I figure that's about the last thing a burglar would even look at and the safe would be the first. In any event, it makes sense to have copies somewhere

What do I do if I can't find this FA-10? Is it too late to try to file it again? If not, if I sell it so that someone else has an FA-10 filed for it, does that solve the problem? I never use this particular gun anyway so I don't mind selling it... I have something else in mind I'd rather have.

I have a small fireproof safe dedicated to just important papers.

I do as well. I also scanned my important papers, including my FA-10's and burned them to a CD-R that I keep on a shelf near the front door. Not the kind of this burglars would even notice, but easy for me to grab 200 or so documents on a run if we had to leave in a hurry. CD's are cheap these days, so I just update the disk as needed.

Oh, did I mention that the disk is heavily encrypted?

Backup isn't really reliable as long as it's in the same location as the original. The simple solution is to use the buddy system: You store your backups at their place, and they store theirs at yours. That way, there's essentially zero probability of losing both copies (unless maybe you're next door or in the same building). These days it's easy to use somebody who's hundreds or thousands of miles away from you if you want to be extra safe.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom