How to save money at the range with your AR!

Ouch. I did the same only with ammo. Completely forgot to bring any ammo...for anything. I had to drive back to the house.

Did that on the way to the first shoot Ray hosted at Sippican. I was halfway down RT 195 when I realized my ammo can was still on the kitchen floor. Had to turn back to get it, still was a great shoot though.

Someone I know left a backpack full of ammo sitting in his driveway and drove to the range. Lucky for him, it was there when he got back.

I went to the range one day with my XD-40 and 200 rounds of 9mm.

Fortunately I did manage to bring my 22/45 and ammo for it so the day wasn't a total waste.

I spent over an hour and a half packing up a bunch of firearms and ammo for a range day over the summer. Was excited because I hadn't been there in a while. Spent the half hour driving to the range, took out all my stuff at the range and got ready to start shooting. It was going to be a great day as I was the only one at the range. That was until I realized that I forgot my eye and ear protection. Tried using my sunglasses and stuffing pieces of a towel I ripped up as my hearing protection. After a few shots my ears were ringing and I packed everything back up and left. What a waste of a day.

Every time I go to the range, it is pretty much a given that I am going to forget exactly one item. That one item varies every time though, so the severity of the situation varies from minor to severe.

The worst was of course when I forgot a key, and I had driven all the way up to Manchester (I didn't belong to something local back then). Recently, I forgot my Uplula which sucked because I had just got a new pistol-caliber gun that I wanted to put plenty of rounds through. Binocs or spotting scope are also common ones for me to forget. One time I forgot a rifle bolt (because I locked the gun by removing the bolt and running a cable lock through it).

Oh and for some reason I never bring my staple gun if shooting paper. It's even a permanent resident of my range bag but somehow finds its way out between range visits.

Went to the range once and left immediately in a panic. I FORGOT if I closed and locked the cover to my firearm storgage box. (I did close and lock it, but I just could not remember doing it.) I HAULED ass back home, about 4 miles from my range. What a relief to find it secured. (I have kids.) Now when I close it I say out loud "Box is locked and secure" and put something on the lid just to jog my memory that it is really closed.

Chris

Not nearly as fatal, but I think I've only once ever remembered to bring a clip with me when I brought my Garand to the range.

Buy your ammo in clips and bandoleers from the CMP and you won't have this problem. I bought a few cans like this and now I have plenty of clips and bandoleers that I refill with boxed ammo.

I forgot my bolt once! Good thing my friend let me borrow his while he was shooting is 10/22.

I've gone without ear protection once, put about 5 rounds through my Mossy on the skeet range and called it a day, hah.

That's a good tip about saying out loud that something is locked, off, closed etc. I use it for door locks or I go insane checking and rechecking.

Back
Top Bottom