• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to re-black a leather holster

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Gents and droids...

I'm looking for a way to re-blacken a leather holster for my CZ-75. I wear this holster quite often (OWB) and the outside black is coming off the surface. I tried black shoe polish and that was a no-go. The leather itself is fairly smooth and with shoe polish being a wax, it doesn't stay on very well.

Any ideas???

you may need to remove the outer layer of wax first.
I was thinking the same thing...maybe lightly "rough" up the leather with very fine crocus cloth by wet sanding with saddle soap and water? 5-8 thousand grit. Thinking aloud here.

Buy a new one? Honestly if your at the point of re-blacking i would worry about the retention of the holster. Leather wears out and that would worry me with an nd
It still holds the CZ fine (lots of adjustment left in the retention screws) and it wasn't a cheap holster. I think if I can re-black the leather, it should give me plenty of more years of use. If not, I'll just use it as is. It usually isn't showing when I wear it.

i brought a holster to a shoe guy for work once. i thought he was going into cardiac arrest when i put it on his counter. he actually told me if i didn't pick it up and get out he was calling the police. very true, several years ago this happened at a cobbler shop on montvale ave, woburn across from the bowling alley and in that block next to peterson's. he has since moved on.

Tried that already...Kiwi is a wax (at least the stuff I used is). Rubs right off.
Maybe try some Boot Black. It’s a liquid dye w/sponge applicator we used to have to use on the outside edge of our soles to keep them blackened.

The Fiebings you ordered should do the trick handily. After application, let it dry, buff the heck out of it with a scrap of old t-shirt and finish with a thin coat of sealant to prevent dye transfer to other items. Oddly enough, white glue thinned to the look and consistency of non-fat milk works as a sealant and provides a mellow shine.

Don't saddle soap it, it can soften the leather. Use a mild solvent to remove the wax and oils. You can use hot water and dish soap. Put the firearm in a plastic bag and put in the holster until dry. Then apply the leather dye. Use gloves, that dye does not like to wash off your hands. Again, let dry.
I believe Tandy leather has some DIY videos.

I know nothing about dying leather, but I was thinking I wonder if you can just do it with whatever they use to dye leather in the first place. Probably just apply whatever that is. I bet I'm missing something though. That is probably too easy of a solution. No?

As others have said, black dye. It will never look 'right' again, but it will look 'good enough'. My dress uniform stuff was leather, even with limited use, I had to dye parts of it.

Don't saddle soap it, it can soften the leather. Use a mild solvent to remove the wax and oils. You can use hot water and dish soap. Put the firearm in a plastic bag and put in the holster until dry. Then apply the leather dye. Use gloves, that dye does not like to wash off your hands. Again, let dry.
I believe Tandy leather has some DIY videos.
Thanks...I thought of the saddle soap issue later...I knew that too...I get a little thick in the brain the older I get.

I know nothing about dying leather, but I was thinking I wonder if you can just do it with whatever they use to dye leather in the first place. Probably just apply whatever that is. I bet I'm missing something though. That is probably too easy of a solution. No?
Much, if not all, of today's leather is dyed outside of the US, most likely Mexico. The leather that places like Schott uses is drum dyed in an aniline dye bath solution...not really good for human consumption...in fact, pretty darned nasty.

Much, if not all, of today's leather is dyed outside of the US, most likely Mexico. The leather that places like Schott uses is drum dyed in an aniline dye bath solution...not really good for human consumption...in fact, pretty darned nasty.

That makes sense. The general crackdown on the production of said item in the US has lead to that item mostly needing to be brought in from somewhere else with lower standards. I feel like this is a recurring theme.

Back
Top Bottom