How to prepare for and easily pass your Amateur (ham) radio exam(s)

Where there once was a man in the mountain
First, keep in mind that you no longer have to pass a Morse code exam to get any amateur (ham) radio license. They did away with the Morse requirement a few years ago! So now you only have to get 26 questions correct out of a multiple choice 35 question exam to earn your entry level (Technician class) license.

There are three different license levels availalble today:
  • LEVEL 1: Technician Class License

EXAM REQUIREMENT: 35-question (26 correct to pass) Technician Written Exam (Element 2); No Morse Code Exam
    PRIVILEGES: All VHF/UHF amateur bands (frequencies above 30 MHz). Limited operations in certain HF bands.

• LEVEL 2: General Class License (upgrade from Technician)

EXAM REQUIREMENTS: 35-question (26 correct to pass) General Written Exam (Element 3); No Morse Code Exam
    PRIVILEGES: All VHF/UHF amateur bands and most HF privileges (10 through 160 meters).

• LEVEL 3: Extra Class License (upgrade from General)

EXAM REQUIREMENT: 50-question (37 correct to pass) Extra Written Exam (Element 4); No Morse Code Exam.
    PRIVILEGES: All amateur privileges.
Each of these license classes 'build' on each other. In other words, if you want to obtain the General class license, you will have to pass both the Technician and General license exams. If are currently a General class and you want the Extra class license, you only have to pass the Extra class exam (since you already took and passed the Technician and General exam at some time).

One of (if not the) best ways to study for and pass the exam quickly and with a minimum of fuss or head strain is to:

1. Get a copy of the question pool for the exam that you want to take (they are all publically available here: http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html)

2. Print out a copy of it.

3. Take black marker and completely block out all the wrong answers (alternately, download the MS-WORD version and delete the incorrect answers, then print out the question pool).

As an example here is one question from the Technician exam pool:

T2A07 (C) [97.113(a)(4)]
    Which of the following are specifically prohibited in the Amateur Radio Service?
    A. Discussion of politics
    B. Discussion of programs on broadcast stations
    C. Indecent and obscene language
    D. Morse code practice​

As shown in the exam pool header, (C) is the correct answer. So you should delete (or black out) the incorrect answers so you will only read the following:

Which of the following are specifically prohibited in the Amateur Radio Service?
    Indecent and obscene language

Don't try memorize the letter of the correct answer (in this case C), but read and become familliar with the text of the correct answer.

It's not so hard, is it? You're now one question closer to passing your exam!

4. Then use this as your study material. Simply read each question and only the correct answer. Do this several times.
Take this study guide with you whereever you go. Whenever you get a few minutes, read some questions and answers.

By the time you have read through this 10 or more times, you will be able to pass the exam because only the correct answers will look familliar to you.

During other times, feel free to read other study books, rules & regs, backround information, etc.

The important thing to remember is to not spend too much time looking at a practice exam. You're better off reading this question pool and only the correct answers. Until you are sure of all the material, you want to minimize the amount of times you read any of the 'distractors' (Thats what they call the incorrect answers). So try some of the online practice exams to judge if you are ready, but don't try them too often until you are familliar with all the correct answers.

Note that this method can allow you to pass the exams without any understanding or knowledge of the material. It can work for anyone that thinks that ham radio is 'over their head'.

This is a proven system that works well.

On exam day, if you want, you can take all three exams at the same test session for the same test fee (currently $15). Feel free to try, as it does not cost you anymore. When taking the Technician exam, I always suggest that people try the General exam, even if you have not prepared for it at all. Note that if you fail your Technician (or any other) exam, you can try again if you would like to for another $15 fee.

People have been known to pass all three exams in one sitting. But that is a lofty goal and unless you have a great memory, I wouldn't suggest it for the average person.

Please remember to take the time to read and understand the rules and regulations and operating procedures after you pass your exam(s) and before you start operating. You can also take the time to study and understand radio theory and operations without the pressure of trying to pass an exam.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I must be weird or something... can you recommend a good book (or URL) that I can read to actually y'know... understand the theory needed? Just reading answers don't seem to work for me; I want to understand it all.

I must be weird or something... can you recommend a good book (or URL) that I can read to actually know... understand the theory needed? Just reading answers don't seem to work for me; I want to understand it all.

It's ok to learn HAM radio backwards. I memorized the test, got licenses, started talking and listening to the radio, then really started learning about it. Specifically there are many hams that only talk technical on the air, listening to them is like a lesson. The use of a modern radio does not require the level of knowledge that it once did. But get on the air and you will meet many great operators that can answer all your questions and help you learn.

Yes there are books, I just cant learn from books, I learn from doing.

It's ok to learn HAM radio backwards. I memorized the test, got licenses, started talking and listening to the radio, then really started learning about it. Specifically there are many hams that only talk technical on the air, listening to them is like a lesson. The use of a modern radio does not require the level of knowledge that it once did. But get on the air and you will meet many great operators that can answer all your questions and help you learn.

Yes there are books, I just cant learn from books, I learn from doing.

Exactly. That's something I have an issue with regarding ham licensing. You can't legally get any practical experience prior to becoming licensed unless you are friends with someone who is licensed and is kind enough to let you transmit under their license. It's like requiring someone to get their private pilot license before letting them fly an aircraft solo. It's backwards. You should be permitted to get hands-on, practical experience, not just theory and book knowledge, before you take the exam.

I must be weird or something... can you recommend a good book (or URL) that I can read to actually y'know... understand the theory needed? Just reading answers don't seem to work for me; I want to understand it all.

There's nothing strange or weird about wanting to learn! That's the best method. But after you've done all your reading and learning, do you want to prepare for the exam in the most efficient way possible? If so, use this method as an efficient way to pass the exam(s).

As to what to study? It depends on what your most interested in. Ham radio has so many different facets to it, you could spend a lifetime exploring them all.

To start, read the FCC rules as you will need to understand all of these:
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/

Here's some info about ham radio in general:
http://wedothatradio.wordpress.com/
http://www.hello-radio.org/
http://www.eham.net/newham/
http://www.hamuniverse.com/

If you want to read books, the ARRL has a lot of them (ARRL = Amateur Radio Relay League, basicallly the ARRL is to ham radio what the NRA is to gun owners).

If you're in the general Boston area, I'd suggest a ride to HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) in Salem, NH (www.hamradio.com). HRO is located not far from Exit 1 or 2 off Route 93 in NH. This is a ham radio store, they have a lot of ham radio books available, and you can also see a lot of new radio gear for sale.

Not weird at all..... I'm using the ARRL License manuals to study and I have to say they are excellent, particularly for a noob like me.... The nicest thing is that they have all the questions in the back keyed to specific sections that explain the associated details..... Very nice and handy if I have a question or need to know why a specific answer was correct.....

I was able to get both the ARRL General Book and the Q&A Book from them for about 28 bucks shipped to my house with a special they were running.

I copied the questions for the same reason as others. I need interaction. I read the Tech Manual twice and was having a hard time grasping some of the infomation. I took a Tech class two nights a week over four weeks...by the end I was only missing one question on the practice exams. Before I was only passing them by one or two questions.

I'm going to still read my General Book, but I think having the questions to go over with the answers only will help reinforce the correct answers for when I take the test. And, like I have with the Tech, when I actually start getting equipment, readning manuals, putting up antennas, talking...I have a MUCH better understanding of what was in the books.

Just ordered the ARRL book from Borders (where I got $5 off and used a gift card - total expenditure? $0.36 that the gift card didn't cover).

Y'know... I remember that my dad and I started to study code back in about 1975. Never did take our tests, either. Maybe this time I'll get it done.

Thanks for the links I printed these out and am starting to go through them. A lot of the Tech questions and General questions seem to overlap.

Not to sound too lazy but is there a source you can recommend that provides the answers? I have a copy of Now You're Talking on order and plan to use that for study purposes. But it sounds like a great idea to use the "correct answer only" method to get the test out of the way.

Not to sound too lazy but is there a source you can recommend that provides the answers? I have a copy of Now You're Talking on order and plan to use that for study purposes. But it sounds like a great idea to use the "correct answer only" method to get the test out of the way.

Here's one of the more popular free practice test sites: http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

As for books, the ARRL's License Manual is sort of a text but also has all the test questions with correct answers. For added speed & ease I recomment the ARRL's Q&A book. It iis smaller, has only the test questions, with answers, but it also gives an explanation of each correct answer. Both books available from Amazon.

You could pass the test just by spending enough time doing the online tests, but I recommend also reading the license manual.

BTW, it can't be that hard. My 11 year old son passed the Technician test on the first try and 3 weeks later passed the General test. All we used was the above 2 books and the online practice tests.

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html

Yes, see my above with links to the question pools. That's all you need to pass the exam(s)!

We should probably sticky this thread.

Last edited:
OK, so I went through the Tech Level Word Document posted at http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html and deleted all of the choices except the correct answers. If anyone wants a copy of this, send me a PM. Also, if anyone happens to have done this for the General Level pool, I'd really appreciate a copy.

I'm taking my exam the second week in March. I might have a go at the General at the same time.

LOL! That's great! There's a link somewhere that I'll have to dig up that's the MP3's from the USN's training tapes from that time. The interesting thing about them is that the speeds are sandbagged as all hell -- I could barely keep pace with the 25 WPM exercises, and the consensus of the hams that listened to it was that it was nearly twice that speed.

Back
Top Bottom