How to? Pick the winner of a Karma giveaway?

I have some odds and ends that some folks might find useful and figured I'd Karma them. Just wondering how to pick the winners(s). Count up the entries and pull a random number? What is used to pull the number? Is there a forum tool?

Short answer:

Use random.org

Long answer:

post your Karma thread. Your post will be post #1 in the thread.

When the karma closes at xxxx date/time, then you'd go to random.org which has a supposedly true random number generator, and enter a range of numbers from (min) #2 to (max) the highest post # in the thread (don't include #1 because that's YOU).

Edit - Gidge is correct in that it's really up to YOU as to how you select the winner of your own karma, but most folks seem to use random.org.

Last edited:
I have personally shot at a piece of paper with all the numbers on it until the arrow went through a number, I've used random.org, and I've seen methods used such as "put slips of paper on the ground with numbers on them, first number the kid grabs wins" and "write the numbers on dog treats, last one standing wins". The way you pick your winner is limited only by your creativity or laziness.

Loki had a crappy week and ran one in which the winner was whomever made him laugh the hardest with their post.

Excellent suggestions everyone!

I think I am going with random.org for now. Don't want to be accused of rigging the game....

Back
Top Bottom