• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to check if lower is registered

i just woke up from a nap...did i hear lowers? pre-ban lowers? registered pre-ban lowers? whats registered? whats a lower? (yawn) gonna do a cocktail and go back to the nap.

I kinda agree with this but it’s pretty clear the OP’s motivation is to leave the ones he can in MA when he could just as easily take them with him. Given most of attitude here I’d say f*** it, I’ll just take them with me.

It’s great that OP wants to keep them in MA, but the prices in the ads could be more friendly

I had nothing to go by except what people told me they saw them priced at and I went under that. I've already talked to a couple people about a lower price

I don't have receipts anymore .I could probably chase em down but I have to much going on in life to do so. I was just hoping to keep the pre Healy ar15s in Mass. I'll just stick to selling the ones I know are on the books and take the other with me out of state .
On the day you are leaving mass for good fa10 them to a good friend or someone deserving of a good deal and transfer them.

As stated above, there is NO reason that it can't be sold in MA even if not registered prior to 7/20/16. All you need is the receipt for the original purchase/transfer by a FFL to you as proof (if you are so inclined) of possession prior to the AG's rant.
My position is the state can try to prove my lowers were not possessed in the state if they are so inclined.;)

Yikes!
As someone who is trying to source their first AR, the BS and price tags associated with it all, is truly discouraging. This thread has done nothing more than further confuse me and make me feel poor. Doesn't take much to do either of those things though.
Somone ought to get the ACLU involved. All Maura's "law" has done is put an unfair burden on the less wealthy. Isn't that what their always whining about?
Christ on a bike, now I'm whining. Coffee time...

Have fun in NH OP!

Yikes!
As someone who is trying to source their first AR, the BS and price tags associated with it all, is truly discouraging. This thread has done nothing more than further confuse me and make me feel poor. Doesn't take much to do either of those things though.
Somone ought to get the ACLU involved. All Maura's "law" has done is put an unfair burden on the less wealthy. Isn't that what their always whining about?
Christ on a bike, now I'm whining. Coffee time...

Have fun in NH OP!

PM me your budget. Let's see if I can get you one of my lowers before I leave mass.

This is driving me crazy.

1. Where on NES can I start a NEW POSTING? as I have a question that many of you are not answering.

2. I’m trying understand all aspects of the LAW in the heavily LIBERAL SNOWFLAKE POPULATED STATE OF MASSACHUSETTES. So let’s be professional answer directly - don’t fall off track with conversation no one cares about when I ask the follow (and please don’t send me to another thread - as i have been chasing this answer for a while)

3. What are the PENALTIES of registering a firearm PAST THE 7 DAY WINDOW - has anyone else done this? If so, how long ago? I’m talking Efa10

4. Say Buy A LOWER out of STATE have transfered to FFL then filled 4473 (pre healey) Then 6 months later YOU BUILD AN upper and you are unsure if the firearm function correctly - you wait 3 weeks to go to the range and test the firearm TO MAKE SURE IT ACTUALLY WORKS. After said firearms shoots IS IT TOO LATE TO REGISTER? WILL THE OWNER BE SLAMMED WITH A FINE?

5. In the MGL, it states that violations of any provisions is subject to fine and/or jail time, but what if you are trying to do the RIGHT thing at the WRONG time.

6. Just TRY to answer the question with NEW INFORMATION, rather than sourcing old threads and starting different conversations.

7. It doesn’t matter AR HANDGUN, a build is a build.

Thanks
XVII

Last edited:
I doubt that the AG would take an individual to trial because her definition of "lower==firearm" is in direct conflict with MGL and she will not want this tested in a court where evidence may be introduced and all the protections of a criminal trial are in place.

Civil court is a different matter. For example, in the MA Glock case (Draper v AG), the court denied a trial and issued a summary judgment that basically consisted of "all claims by AG accepted as fact, all claims by plaintiff rejected". The court concluded that the Glock loaded chamber is ineffective by having a judge with no firearm expertise read the Glock manual. We were prepared to introduce solid evidence and testimony demonstrating the effectiveness of such an indicator but were denied a trial.

That being said, in the long term, it depends on how the upcoming ruling against our side in Worman is worded. The court may very well state the AGs action of expanding the definition of firearm under MGL was not only legal but highly commendable.

Last edited:
This is driving me crazy.

1. Where on NES can I start a NEW POSTING? as I have a question that many of you are not answering.
Not quite sure, but I'd try "Post New Thread" and see what it does. Preferably in the MA Laws subforum.
upload_2019-1-11_9-50-19.png

4. Say you buy A LOWER out of STATE
You can't, legally.
5. In the MGL, it states that violations of any provisions is subject to fine and/or jail time, but what if you are trying to do the RIGHT thing at the WRONG time.
LOL! That's a good one!

You cannot according to the AGs untested interpretation of the law. This is different in theory, but probably not practice.
I was under the impression AR lowers needed to be transferred by your home state since it could be built into a pistol (if I recall). Is that incorrect (quite possibly)?

1. Maybe because i’m using mobile version. Sorry will look on desktop, becuase i dont see that button anywhere.

2. perhaps i worded incorrectly.
Say you TRANSFERED A LOWER VIA FFL USING 4473 PRE HEALEY

So what if someone bought lowers before 2016 and haven't built them up yet and hasn't done anything as far as efa10, registering or whatever. Can they build it now? Do they have to efa10 it now?

1. Maybe because i’m using mobile version. Sorry will look on desktop, becuase i dont see that button anywhere.

2. perhaps i worded incorrectly.
Say you TRANSFERED A LOWER VIA FFL USING 4473 PRE HEALEY
Out of state and pre-Healey are presumably incompatible since her dictum mentions the lower being "registered in state" (or similar text) pre 7/20. That aside, a "pre-Healey" lower is, one would expect in my opinion, not subject to her BS "at this time."

That assumes of course you could find a dealer that would do the transfer.
So what if someone bought lowers before 2016 and haven't built them up yet and hasn't done anything as far as efa10, registering or whatever. Can they build it now? Do they have to efa10 it now?
Why not? It's pre-Healey. Whether or not you FA-10 after you build it is up to you. Legally you are supposed to within seven days of it being capable of firing. I wouldn't suggest breaking the law but I would imagine that many people do not FA-10 in this case out of fear of not seeking unwanted attention.

As always IANAL and remember "at this time" in her words. She can announce tomorrow that any post-94 AR is now no bueno. It's only her benevolence and generosity that she is giving a reserved and conditional pardon to you felons in waiting.

No I just want to check if it's registered so it stays registered in Mass. If it's not registered I will bring it to NH with me

I would sell them all in MA registered or not. Then rebuy in new hampshire and enjoy the tidy profit.

I paid $60.00 for lowers a few years back and sold them for $300.00 last spring even that markup made me feel awkward.

Yeah...feel as awkward as you want. Healy created the demand. And if you sold them for what you paid for them some Ahole would have snapped them up and sold them at 300 or more.

My whole debate is 7days vs 3 months.

Why would the state care, you finally got around to registering it. AMEN

How can time, a man made concept, be attached to a device that knows NO TIME?

My whole debate is 7days vs 3 months.

Why would the state care, you finally got around to registering it. AMEN

How can time, a man made concept, be attached to a device that knows NO TIME?
Don't talk to police. Why would one admit a crime by divulging they built a gun more than 7 days ago without registering it. And don't talk to police.

Thanks everyone, i’m a big time advocate. I really want to be a source of information for those in my community.

Trying to read up on everything - everything made sense to me but this 7 day thing. When i registered my firearm it doesnt ask for date of purchase ONLY DATE OF REGISTER.

So for those of you who are afraid, don’t be. You are following the law, not father time.

FORM 4473 then EFA10 time shouldnt matter. Invoke the 5th or just say nothing.

Cheers,
XVII

I was under the impression AR lowers needed to be transferred by your home state since it could be built into a pistol (if I recall). Is that incorrect (quite possibly)?
Some years ago now the ATF ruled that all frame transfers had to be done "in state" of the new owner, that the FFL is to enter them as "other" and transfer rules are the same as they are for handguns.

Yes and Yes. To the 1st question AGO stated as much, part of a MA-equivalent FOIA release and posted in my sub-forum for all to read if they care to.

As always IANAL and remember "at this time" in her words. She can announce tomorrow that any post-94 AR is now no bueno. It's only her benevolence and generosity that she is giving a reserved and conditional pardon to you felons in waiting.
She can announce anything she likes. She doesn't arrest, file charges or prosecute individuals in MA, that's up to the DA and local police and I've never seen anything to indicate that they are "on board" with her press conference/memo. Likewise she can't grant pardons either, only Faker can do that . . . and AFAIK only after a conviction.

If you have a legally purchased lower and the 4473 was done. Then build it and FA10 it and shoot it
^^^^^^ This

I love when a member asks a good question, gets the same answer from two or three of THE most knowledgeable people in the state, and then shrugs and disregards those answers.

Makes me wonder what the OP was hoping to hear. You want to sell in MA? Cool. Everyone’s telling you to go ahead and do so.

So you decide not to. I guess there’s no pleasing some people.

The average Massachusetts gun buyer is afraid of their own shadow. Half of the people saying just sell the f***ing lower would be the first to ask for proof it was in state.

Back
Top Bottom