How to aquire a SBR

Yes, NC requires that the paperwork (or a copy of) be with the NFA item when it is outside of the storage site. It's always a good idea to make a few copies of your paperwork and keep the original in a fire proof safe or safety deposit box. If the original is lost a hassle usually ensues.

This depends on the state. Some states (FL I believe) state that "NFA is legal if it's registered" and that would enable a LEO to legitimately ask to see your federal paperwork. NC may be the same way.

-Mike

I'm not an attorney. But there is a legal precident that basicly says that if the law does not explicitly require you to do or have something then it is assumed that you do not have to do or have that thing.

Even in your case, the law may say it is legal if its registered, but if the law does not say that you need to carry your documentation, then you don't.

I'm not saying not to carry the docs. I usually carry mine. But if I forget them, I don't sweat it. I'm just saying that you should know the law and if asked to produce them, let the LEO know that you are doing it as a courtesy to him and not because the law requires it.

Don

...I'm just saying that you should know the law and if asked to produce them, let the LEO know that you are doing it as a courtesy to him and not because the law requires it...

I'll (sorta) "disagree" with that, in that you are NOT doing so as a courtesy to the LEO, you are doing it as a courtesy to yourself. Do you want to "argue" for an extended period of time with the LEO over the legalities of your firearms and the "semanitics" of not showing him your "tax documents" OR do you want a quick 5 minute interaction by saying/showing "see I'm legal here are documents from ATF"...

Remember the LEO is getting paid to have that argument with you, whats your time worth??? And you mention "they" can just call in the serial #, sure Mon-Fri 9am-5pm when the NFA branch is open...

Personally I'd rather continue about my day after a quick show of form 4's and/or 5320.20 rather than inconvience myself by proving some sort of point to [STRIKE]the LEO[/STRIKE] myself[rolleyes] YMMV

I believe Riley's in Manchester is a class 3 dealer. They had a few SBR's and a remington 870 with a really short barrel(10" maybe) and just a flip down pistol grip for a forearm. They also have good prices and some great guys working there. Nice selection of EBR's and some Saiga semi auto shotguns. I love that place. Tons of really cool stuff. Good luck with your SBR, hope it all works out.

I have one question though. If I saw you at the range and you had your SBR with you, could I shoot it with you present? Would that be legal, or do I have to have the necessary permits as well?

I have one question though. If I saw you at the range and you had your SBR with you, could I shoot it with you present? Would that be legal, or do I have to have the necessary permits as well?

There are no "permits", provided you are otherwise Ok to handle firearms you would be fine.

How long does it take to get a form 4 approved, and is there any issue with buying NFA stuff from an out of state dealer, assuming you're honest on the paperwork and the item is legal in both states?

I believe Riley's in Manchester is a class 3 dealer. They had a few SBR's and a remington 870 with a really short barrel(10" maybe) and just a flip down pistol grip for a forearm. They also have good prices and some great guys working there. Nice selection of EBR's and some Saiga semi auto shotguns. I love that place. Tons of really cool stuff. Good luck with your SBR, hope it all works out.

How long does it take to get a form 4 approved, and is there any issue with buying NFA stuff from an out of state dealer, assuming you're honest on the paperwork and the item is legal in both states?

Form 4's run about 3 month minimum to close to a year in some cases, most rightnow between 4-6 months.

you can "buy" from whoever you want (as is pay $$$ to), however it will need to be transfered to you via a dealer in your state(s) of residence (IE similar situation to handguns)

As long as the registered owner is present you can fire to your heart's content. The only thing you can't do is borrow it. There are ranges that rent NFA items and they have to follow the same law as us "common" people do. They are the owners of the rented items but they can't be removed from the premises unless the person on the tax form is physically present. That's my understanding. As far as carrying your paperwork, I know that a LEO can verify ownership but I would rather not have to go through the process and just show that I paid the tax and I am the registered owner. I haven't been challanged yet so I can't give any experience of being challanged.

I know its not a permit, but you need that tax stamp or whatever to own one. I just wondered if I needed the same thing to fire one owned by someone else. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom