How many guys here are on the eligible list for LEO?

Boston is saying if Coupe Deval cuts local aid, then they are going to lay off 200 cops.

Why I don't know between all the dirty cops that they have canned in the last 18 months or so there should have been at least 200 openings just to keep level staffing, forget about increasing it.

But seriously guys, when this next round of state cuts comes through, along with Federal grants going bye bye, and local funding being a mess, I would expect to see layoffs from local departments. When that happens, two things occur.

Anyone who is laid off goes to the top of the list, ahead of you, and towns like grabbing those guys since they are already academy grads, and it saves them a ton of money in training costs.

I have seen this happen before, when the economy tanks, and it takes a long time to get back to previous staffing levels, some guys never make it back on a department.

I work with a guy at my day gig who was a DMR cop, then went to Medford, then was laid off, never to return.

I was very lucky. I too scored a 9 on the test, but I got my EMT Basic as well. Since I had no military or LE experience, I figured I needed as much on my resume as I could so I took the EMT class and got my license. The list was just about to expire and I got 2 postcards, one from Brockton and one from Dedham. I chose Dedham and went through the background investigation. They called me for an interview a few weeks later.

One week after the interview, the Chief's secretary called me and told me to come down and sign the list....I got the position. One month later I took the physical ability test. Right now I am just waiting for a position to open up so they can put me through the academy.

It took me a long time to get in. I went through alot of interviews. If it is something you really want to do, don't give up!

Back
Top Bottom