How many guns do you need?

I really think I'll be good after 3-4 more.

I just need the Spikes lower to finish my second AR.
A pump shotgun maybe a Mossberg 590A1 or a Remington 870 Express Tactical A-Tacs camo.
A Glock 17 to compliment my Kel Tec Sub2000.
Then possibly an AK or variant in the .223 caliber so I wont have to stock pile a bunch of different types of ammo.

With what I have now I'm pretty sure I would be good for a bit.

Charles.

Charles, you seem to be right in line with my way of thinking, right down to buying a handgun to compliment your Sub2000! I have the Beretta 92FS version myself, and feel like I need to pick up the handgun now that I have a bunch of mags for it.[wink] My first choice was the G17 model, but after being on the waiting list for a couple of months, I jumped on the Beretta model since I could get pre-ban mags for that one as well (plus I was sicking of waiting, and just wanted one[smile]).

I thought I'd be good for a bit last month.

Then I ran across a S&W 1911 E, and a good deal on a Mosin Nagant, and ...

Don't buy into gun grabber terminology/talking points... there is no such thing as "need".

I (we), own guns because I (we), have a right to, and I (we), can.
No further explanation is necessary.

I disagree here. Yes, we do need guns. In a SHTF situation no gun no voice. A gun in that situation will be your only way to survive. With no means to protect yourself and family you wont be around long.

Speaking of GAS, this has really faded for me. Here's why:

1. Limited/expensive options for handguns in MA. I feel like there's not much else I want that I can easily purchase in this state. Sure I can pay a premium for a particular Glock or H&K I might want, but I'm getting tired of that BS. My collection isn't huge by NES standards, but of the MA selection, I've purchased the stuff I like and sold what I didn't like.

2. High-capacity restrictions. I refuse to buy a handgun that does not have pre-ban magazine options. 10rds are fine for the range, but dammit, if a gun was designed to hold 12 or 15 or 18, then I want a mag that holds that.

3. I like to shoot everything I own. I have only one handgun that's kind of a safe queen, and I still shoot it a couple of times a year. So collecting show pieces just hasn't sparked my interest.

So GAS has faded, and I'm less motivated to go into gun shops in MA these days. Ammo is too expensive, the handgun selection is limited, and in some stores, the guns are overpriced.

Maybe this will all change someday when I have more money & time to shoot or when I finally end up in a free state again. For now, I think working on technique and helping others get licensed in MA is a better use of time.

Of course I say that, and then something new will come along...

ETA: The best thing that happened for me on NES was the creation of the Classifieds section instead of using the forum. I never look there anymore. I've saved a ton of money since that was put in place! w00t!

Last edited:
Personally, I have no interest in a revolver or a larger caliber bolt action. I think my next significant purchase will be a reloading setup, but I would like to get a .22 LR semi auto handgun for cheap fun all day long versus 9mm. If I had unlimited funds, I wouldn't stop shopping.

x-all-the-things-meme-generator-yes-all-the-things-1f7c5b.jpg

IMO you have to define the need. for combat, a combat rifle and sidearm should do the trick. for target, a target rifle or pistol should do the trick. for trap, a trap gun should do the trick. for hunting, a hunting guns should do the trick (be it shotgun or rifle or whatever)....

you see where im going with this. there are different needs, which is why we get different guns. well, thats what i tell my wife at least...

I enjoy shooting many types of firearms and I do have a small collection of S&W pistols and revolvers purchased primarily from a collector standpoint.

I would also say, "beware of the man with one gun" simply because he probably knows how to really use it.

For personal protection type usage, I considerably narrow the field down to several depending on my clothing, and the season.

If we are talking about a basic battery of guns, this would be my choice:

1. a good .22 rifle a Marlin or a Ruger 10/22
2. a center fire bolt action rifle ranging in caliber from .223 Rem up to .338 Winchester Mag (absolute tops). Anything from .270 Win through 30-06 would be the best range with .308 topping the list. Ruger, Winchester, Remington or Savage would be my brand preferences.
3. A good quality pump 12 ga shotgun, either a Remington 870 or something in the Mossberg 500 line, with multiple chokes and barrels.
4. A four inch .357 revolver as it provides the greatest versatility. Probably a S&W or a Ruger.

With these four guns, I could use them for a variety of situations, from casual target shooting, to hunting to personal defense.

YMMV

IMO you have to define the need. for combat, a combat rifle and sidearm should do the trick. for target, a target rifle or pistol should do the trick. for trap, a trap gun should do the trick. for hunting, a hunting guns should do the trick (be it shotgun or rifle or whatever)....

you see where im going with this. there are different needs, which is why we get different guns. well, thats what i tell my wife at least...

there is one weapon system that can handle all of that
m-45g_quad_50_2_of_4.jpg

I was going to say "Im going to order another one on my C&R right now, because I dont have enough" but then realized I wont be home to sign for it, or able to get to UPS to pick it up (and it CANT be sent to work) for another week. [sad]

"In a week I will order another gun with my C&R because I don't have enough" and by then I'll have an A$$ load of overtime so maybe I'll make up for it and get 2.[devil2]

I'm not sure how I would define "need", but I will say that the pride of ownership factor is higher with guns that I purchased to fulfill a specific purpose and that I actually use and fire alot. Some of my impulse.."that's really cool" purchases turned out not to be so cool a month or two later.

I'm not sure how I would define "need", but I will say that the pride of ownership factor is higher with guns that I purchased to fulfill a specific purpose and that I actually use and fire alot. Some of my impulse.."that's really cool" purchases turned out not to be so cool a month or two later.

Yeah i would agree with that i bought a sigma because it was 100 dollars less than a 92FS and regretted it shortly there after

if i find one i like, i'll buy it... it just so happens that that's a lot... i figure I'm making up for all the purchasing i wont be doing when i'm married w/ kids

Same here. Getting them while I can.

Beat me to it. First thing I thought when I saw the thread title [laugh]

Truth be told, I have...11? I'd be happy with about 15, I think.

About 15 - 1000...somewhere in there, right?[wink]

All of you saying 'it's not a question of need' are missing the guy's point. The point he's trying to make is that once you have the bases covered, buying more guns probably isn't the wisest way to spend your money. If it's what floats your boat, more power to you, but if you really examine it, you might change your mind. My favorite manifestation of this is the guy who has a different pistol at the range every week, but can't shoot for shit. Or the one who owns 20 carry guns, but all of his holsters are uncle mikes garbage. I'd actually respect someone who honestly said, 'learning to shoot well is hard work, and I just want to convert money to noise because shooting stuff is fun'. It's the people like this who make excuses or are intellectually dishonest that annoy me.

All of you saying 'it's not a question of need' are missing the guy's point. The point he's trying to make is that once you have the bases covered, buying more guns probably isn't the wisest way to spend your money. If it's what floats your boat, more power to you, but if you really examine it, you might change your mind. My favorite manifestation of this is the guy who has a different pistol at the range every week, but can't shoot for shit. Or the one who owns 20 carry guns, but all of his holsters are uncle mikes garbage. I'd actually respect someone who honestly said, 'learning to shoot well is hard work, and I just want to convert money to noise because shooting stuff is fun'. It's the people like this who make excuses or are intellectually dishonest that annoy me.

It's their money...so how does it bother you ? I can shoot my old bear compound bow fine and im accurate with it, it gets the job done. But I still want a newer faster lighter bow. It doesn't matter how much I might piss away if it makes me happy then ill do it.

I also like to turn money into noise I find it fun, that's why I have a .22 and hopefully a mosin soon.

I am not a "gun nut" mainly because I can't afford to be. Years ago when I first was able to buy a gun, I got a full size .45 and that was all I had for a few years. Figured it was good for HD and CC. After carrying it for a couple years, I got sick of it because it was too big, so I didn't carry for a while.

Then I wound up getting a snub .38 and I started carrying again. Now I have a shotgun, a .22 and and a couple other rifles for zombie duty. I still only have a couple handguns because I feel it's all I need and although I would like to have a few more, I just can't justify the money when I have other things that I really do need.

I feel that if a guy can afford it and likes guns, buy one of each typre ever made.

I have a few in my safe, and believe me, I can always use another one[grin]. Different caliber, size, or it is just a nice gun to have. If you do not have the funds, do not go nuts. If you have the funds, have fun. Some people collect marbles, toy cars, dolls, I like guns. Be happy...buy a gun [smile]

And then build a small cabin on squatted land next to a beautiful Waldon Pond and write a manifesto about how other things need to only be owned or used in moderation.

I wholly disagree with this way of thinking. If go time ever comes and we're all riding in dune buggies and wearing tattered leathers then guns and ammo would be more valuable than anything but perhaps the services of a pretty woman or clean water.

Go forth and stockpile. Guns are more comforting than a 401k for piece of mind.

Back
Top Bottom