• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How Long Will Canned Goods Last?

S&WMan

NES Member
I was wondering how long will canned goods last. I'm talking soups, vegetables, fruits, meats etc. that are bought at the local grocery. Is it once they reach the expiration date they need to be consumed or will they last longer than the expiration date. It would seem to me that they would last beyond the expiration date, but how much longer. At what point are they considered unsafe to consume. Is it worth stocking up with these.

How long? - certainly longer than the expiration date. Exactly how long depends upon item, storage conditions, etc. I'm still working through assorted stuff dated 2010 - not dead yet [wink]

When are they unsafe? In general, your nose knows. If in doubt, feed it to someone else first [rofl] Or maybe toss it.

Stock up on stuff you'll eat anyway. Eat it regularly and restock as needed, and it won't go bad.

The only thing I've come across that I tossed was some beans dated from 2004 or so. Opened up and took a look, and just said no way I'm eatin that! (didn't smell bad - just looked funky).

Last edited:
Ate a can of soup recently that was 4 years past expiration and still alive. Didn't see the date until after I was done.

There used to be entire stores near my house in PA that only sold expired food canning lasts much longer than the date will let you think.

Unless the can had been compromised, canned good are pretty much indefinite.

"The steamboat Bertrand, carrying cargo up the Missouri River to Virginia City, Montana Territory, sank on April 1, 1865, after hitting a snag in the river north of Omaha, Nebraska. Half of its cargo was recovered 100 years later.........In 1974, samples of canned food from the wreck, including brandied peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetable, were tested by the National Food Processors Association. Although their appearance, smell and vitamin content had deteriorated, there was no trace of microbial growth and the food was determined to be still safe to eat."

Nothing says dinner like 100 year old canned oysters....lol.

Last edited:
I try to only stock things I eat regularly enough that normal meals rotate me through everything regularly enough that nothing ever sits more than two years from time of purchase or of home canning. May be good longer, but I find taste starts going by then.

How long? - certainly longer than the expiration date. Exactly how long depends upon item, storage conditions, etc. I'm still working through assorted stuff dated 2010 - not dead yet [wink]

When are they unsafe? In general, your nose knows. If in doubt, feed it to someone else first [rofl] Or maybe toss it.

Stock up on stuff you'll eat anyway. Eat it regularly and restock as needed, and it won't go bad.

The only thing I've come across that I tossed was some beans dated from 2004 or so. Opened up and took a look, and just said no way I'm eatin that! (didn't smell bad - just looked funky).

Nailed it. I regularly eat stuff that's 2-4 years beyond the arbitrary date on the can. Soups, tuna, peanut butter, beans, fruit, etc. Take a sniff and if it smells decent, scarf it down.

They are supposed to be good just about forever. (Hormel says as much on their website) I have opened some old cans of beefaroni that were like 2 years expired and they tasted like metal. Real nasty, though probably still safe to eat.

The use by/expired date has more to do with nutrition and flavor. Although it is possible for the preservatives found in some to degrade. Best bet is to never jostle or dent any cans.. Rough handling is a recipe for spoilage.

I recently found 3 cans of fruit cocktail hidden behind some other canned goods . The expiration date was 3 years ago and the cans were not bulged or otherwise damaged . The contents did not smell bad but the taste was a little off so I pitched the other 2 cans . Also had some Guldin's mustard that was 3 years past date . It had a strong vinegar taste but still edible .

I tried a can of roast beef over the summer that was expired 6 years . I opened the can and me and the dog gave it the sniff test . I let gunner wolf half the can and waited to see if he barfed but no he came back for more . I tried it and it tasted as good as canned beef can. It was Hormel.

They are supposed to be good just about forever. (Hormel says as much on their website) I have opened some old cans of beefaroni that were like 2 years expired and they tasted like metal. Real nasty, though probably still safe to eat.

The use by/expired date has more to do with nutrition and flavor. Although it is possible for the preservatives found in some to degrade. Best bet is to never jostle or dent any cans.. Rough handling is a recipe for spoilage.

I recently found 3 cans of fruit cocktail hidden behind some other canned goods . The expiration date was 3 years ago and the cans were not bulged or otherwise damaged . The contents did not smell bad but the taste was a little off so I pitched the other 2 cans . Also had some Guldin's mustard that was 3 years past date . It had a strong vinegar taste but still edible .

I tried a can of roast beef over the summer that was expired 6 years . I opened the can and me and the dog gave it the sniff test . I let gunner wolf half the can and waited to see if he barfed but no he came back for more . I tried it and it tasted as good as canned beef can. It was Hormel.

other than the obvious of bacteria (which is usually indicated by bulging etc) the only problem is taste and nutritional value. but how much nutritional value do you get in mass produced canned food? while the taste may be 'off' or 'tinny' if it looks fine and smells normal its likely safe to eat.

Back
Top Bottom