How do you store your ammo?...

I always get a chuckle when I read/hear about people in PRM having to lock up their ammo. Or store it in another safe, separate from their guns. More stupid laws that only serve to make you LESS safe. I store mine wherever the fork I want. [smile]

Before the PRM inmates start to rant and rave, I feel bad for you guys too. Just so very glad I got out when I did. Just wish I had done it many years earlier.

Well, those of us with an Ammo/Powder permit do NOT have to lock our ammo up (unless we have kids or "unlicensed people" residing in the house)! Thus, I can leave the ammo anywhere I want to and even sprinkle some around the house if I want.

Well, those of us with an Ammo/Powder permit do NOT have to lock our ammo up (unless we have kids or "unlicensed people" residing in the house)! Thus, I can leave the ammo anywhere I want to and even sprinkle some around the house if I want.

So you need to get ANOTHER permission slip from Nanny MA in order to not be subject to the moronic laws... Yeah, that makes sense. [hmmm]

So you need to get ANOTHER permission slip from Nanny MA in order to not be subject to the moronic laws... Yeah, that makes sense. [hmmm]

Yes but it is even simpler than getting a NH RESIDENT LTC!

I stopped in to see my Fire Chief on Monday about something else and to wish him a Merry Christmas/Happy New Year (he's a good guy) and as I walked by the Deputy's office I asked him to check if my permit expires 12/31 this year or next. I went home and looked at my permit, yup this year so I sent an Email to my Chief and asked him to let me know when I could pick it up via Email sometime next week. A few hours later the Deputy Emails me my new permit as a PDF and asks me to drop off a $5.00 check (for 5 years) whenever I get a chance!! How's that for service??

Do I wish it was totally unregulated? Yes, but since it is it is the most painless thing I have to deal with . . . I can deal with that!

I stopped in to see my Fire Chief on Monday about something else and to wish him a Merry Christmas/Happy New Year (he's a good guy) and as I walked by the Deputy's office I asked him to check if my permit expires 12/31 this year or next. I went home and looked at my permit, yup this year so I sent an Email to my Chief and asked him to let me know when I could pick it up via Email sometime next week. A few hours later the Deputy Emails me my new permit as a PDF and asks me to drop off a $5.00 check (for 5 years) whenever I get a chance!! How's that for service??

Do I wish it was totally unregulated? Yes, but since it is it is the most painless thing I have to deal with . . . I can deal with that!

I'm sure there are plenty of towns, in MA, where it's far more difficult to get that that. I see it as yet another pointless regulation that only does normal, law abiding, citizens/people harm. It's yet another 'tax' for gun owners to pay.

I always get a chuckle when I read/hear about people in PRM having to lock up their ammo. Or store it in another safe, separate from their guns. More stupid laws that only serve to make you LESS safe. I store mine wherever the fork I want. [smile]

Before the PRM inmates start to rant and rave, I feel bad for you guys too. Just so very glad I got out when I did. Just wish I had done it many years earlier.

I am so glad that you moved somewhere that has no crime. No house breaks. No one trying to steal your ammo/guns. I suppose you can leave the keys in your ignition too. I learned to lock stuff up long before someone required me to. Our wonderful storage permit is for primers mostly. We can have 25,000 rounds of ammo without it and 16 pounds of powder. The primers though are limited to 1000. Permit allows 10,000 with 5,000 in the house.
Merry Christmas.

[banana]
White Feather

Lucky you. My towns chief charged $25 for a 3 year permit.
The cost or duration of permit is not standardized. Even fire chiefs are given discretion to screw us.

If and when I do go to Free Hampshire, I'd still lock up my firearms and ammo. Why? So that if and when someone breaks in, they can't steal my pride and joy. At 30 cents a round for 9, 40 cents a round for 223/556 and 65 cents a round for surplus 30-06, I don't even want to think how much money I have tied up in ammo. Do you guys just leave $3000 in cash sitting on a shelf? I doubt it, why do the same for your ammo.

In any event, my ammo is stored away in multiple, locked pelican cases. Small enough that you can 'grab and go' (albeit heavy) but large enough to hold a good amount. Also I've got some stored in the top part of my 10-gun stackon cabinet.

If and when I do go to Free Hampshire, I'd still lock up my firearms and ammo. Why? So that if and when someone breaks in, they can't steal my pride and joy. At 30 cents a round for 9, 40 cents a round for 223/556 and 65 cents a round for surplus 30-06, I don't even want to think how much money I have tied up in ammo. Do you guys just leave $3000 in cash sitting on a shelf? I doubt it, why do the same for your ammo.

In any event, my ammo is stored away in multiple, locked pelican cases. Small enough that you can 'grab and go' (albeit heavy) but large enough to hold a good amount. Also I've got some stored in the top part of my 10-gun stackon cabinet.
Exactly my thought, I am actually getting another small safe as my other 2 are full. I am fortunate as I have a relative that has a bunch of small safes from a proir business so I can get one for free. They are the smaller ones that will slide under a bench. They don't hold as much but are very easy to conceal and are much stronger than the Sentry, Mellink, Stackon or other cheapo style safes the stores sell. These would actually take some work to get open. I don't live in a bad area but house breaks happen everywhere and I try not to leave anything valuable that I don't use daily unsecured.

I lost all my ammo in a freak boating accident.

I am so glad that you moved somewhere that has no crime. No house breaks. No one trying to steal your ammo/guns. I suppose you can leave the keys in your ignition too. I learned to lock stuff up long before someone required me to. Our wonderful storage permit is for primers mostly. We can have 25,000 rounds of ammo without it and 16 pounds of powder. The primers though are limited to 1000. Permit allows 10,000 with 5,000 in the house.
Merry Christmas.

[banana]
White Feather

What dose a high or low crime area have to do with the state ordering you to lock your shit up? As you say yourself in your post, you learned on your own to lock stuff up. As it should be. There should be no need for the state to tell you how to keep your ammo secure, except in the eyes of the statists who overran MA long ago.

I need to get some thing to store my ammo running out of space in my safe. Err mass laws suck.
I put it in a 5 drawer file cabinet with a lock. I got it off Craigslist a couple of years ago. Very happy with the purchase! 50cal boxes fit perfectly across in each drawer, so no wasted space.

My goal is to have so much stored ammo that if someone broke in and stole some I would never notice [laugh]

That said, if they're in your house undetected already they can get the safe open unless you actually own a very high end safe.

Back
Top Bottom