How do you prep newbies before range visits?

Before going to the range:

Four Rules of Safe Firearms Handling
Basic Handling and operation of each firearm we will be using at the range, including some hands-on (have them install a magazine, remove a magazine, activate and deactivate a safety, point in a safe direction and dry fire)
Personal Protection (Hearing and Eye protection)
Any Questions?
Four Rules of Safe Firearms Handling

I typically allow them to handle a few of the weapons so I can observe how well they follow proper handling.

On the way to the Range

Any Questions?
Walk through planned firearms order
Four Rules for Safe Firearms Handling

At the Range:
Start with a single shot bolt action .22LR youth rifle

Increase in Rifle Calibers
Shotguns

Start Handguns with a .22 Revolver or .22 Pistol
typically move to 9mm / 40S&W pistol
then .38 Special revolver
10mm pistol
.32 / .380 Auto pocket pistols (small frame can make them harder to control)

Finally, if they're interested, allow them to squeeze off a few rounds of the .500 S&W Magnum. For new shooters, I always load the cylendar with empty chambers between live chambers to prevent accidently double-taps due to recoil.

Pick up spent casings, give new shooter their target and a few casings, then head out.

We've been through this several times recently so I'll relate my experiences: (Shout out and thank you to Kmaurer for all the tips he taught in his instructor's class!)

1. Take them to a place NOT on the range where they don't need ear/eye protection. It will get in the way of teaching the basics. At your home, or if your club has a clubhouse/free indoor range this is a good place to do it.
2. Go over the BASIC parts of the gun; Barrel, trigger, muzzle...save the rest for another time.
3. Go over safety rules. Now that they know what a muzzle IS, they will understand what you mean by muzzle down-range. I specifically use the phrase "booger-hook off the bang-switch" in my speil. It's funny and more importantly, something people remember.
4. Have them do a load/unload with dummy rounds
5. Go over safety again and as someone else pointed out, have them tell YOU what the rules are. Rinse, wash, repeat as necessary.
5. Explain the range rules and go out to the range.

I always start new shooters with a .22. They can choose pistol or rifle, we have both. I also always have new shooters start out form a sitting position. It lets them concentrate on other things than holding the gun steady and will give them satisfactory results their first time out.
Finally, use the back of a paper target or a paper plate so they can work on grouping instead of focusing on a bulls-eye.

We always make sure to have a "fun" gun with us, usually a EBR so when they inevitably start smiling they can move from the .22 to something more powerful if they want to. NEVER force anything on them.

It's worked well for us so far and we've got a lot of very positive feedback on the process.

Best of luck,

Bill

I really want to thank everyone who has contributed so thoughtfully to this thread.

I've got a lot of great input to meld into a process of my own.

I'm really glad I reached out for help from those who've already done this.

I usually start out by just shooting them right in the thigh with my 45 and yelling, "that is what happens if you don't follow safety rules!"

If they can man-up and continue shooting, I'll invite them back a second time. If they get all whiney and go into shock, I won't bring them again.

But seriously, this thread is full of great ideas. Keep it simple, keep it fun, keep it safe.
I usually go with a 22 rifle because its easy and cheap to shoot and yields instant gratification.

i really like that idea, never would have thought about that.

I agree...I guess that is pretty much in line with the GOAL Basic Pistol course. We did most of our shooting (after the first handful of shots) at steel targets at varying distances. I like the paper bag idea. If you have a range that allows "Plinking," a milk jug might provide a bit more of a tactile response (would bounce more when struck)

For the first few minutes, just let them acclimate their senses to being at the range, and get used to the idea that there are guns going off all around them. Let them watch you shoot for a bit. If they change their mind and say they don't want to do it, that's it: their word is final.

I've "inducted" about 7 people into my "militia" this year.

EVERYONE who doesn't have a LTC/FID gets plopped infront of my TV to watch the LFI handgun safety video. No exceptions. Ayoob is straight forward in the video and a couple of the cases mentioned during the lecture(the child shot at the gunshow and the man who shot his wife through the wall) really hammer home that guns are not toys, and they will kill you or someone else faster than anything. I've noticed that this helps weed out the people who have short attention spans or do not have the maturity level to use a gun safely.
After the video, I go over everything one on one again, and take any questions, then I make them do all the manipulations with dummy ammo. Only when I am satisfied do we go to the range.

I use the video for the same reason it is used at LFI. The video never forgets a section or leaves something out or gets side tracked by questions. Everyone who gets the video gets the same lecture. Then anything not covered is fielded by me afterward.

also life has gotten easier and cheaper with a .22 pistol and rifle.

Last edited:
I tend to think that the less is explained, the better it sticks, so I try to avoid starting off explanation heavy.

if a Semi-Auto one round at a time in a magazine.

I'd go with something that has as little kick as possible if they're timid i.e. a heavy steel framed .22 or the like.

Third, keep it simple! Just the basics! No talk of muzzle energy, external balistics or extensive theory!

All of these things especially, but the rest is all good info too.

I've found that you'll need to cater to the shooter. Some people jump right in, no fears, and cacth right on. Others need to be eased in, with more time taken.

With everyone I take out (and I've taken a lot of people out) I explain it in a way that they'll understand, and answer any questions that they have. Sometimes I learn when they ask, because I don't know the answer and have to look something up. [laugh]

One thing I've noticed (especially with women who're new to guns) is that appearances matter, and they won't want to shoot something that looks "scary."

Also, know what the shooter wants to gain from the experience. If they've never shot a gun before and want to do it once before they die, like Kalahari said, stress safety skills that they'll remember. If they want to start carrying for self defense, get a little more in detail.

The biggest thing I've found is to keep things comfortable and natural.

One more thing, if you're going to bring an attractive female to the range who's never shot before, do it on a quiet day, or at least stay far away from other people there. Guys pay way too much attention to women like that anyway, but since shooting is already percieved as a "guys activity," this can make it even more uncomfortable for girls, especially when some range looney tries to offer their own "education" to impress the newbie.

Any more on handouts or 'study materials' that anyone uses before hand or as 'take aways', or is it consensus that is overload?

I direct people to info if they're getting into guns (websites, etc.), but IMO if you want to get into guns, you need to maintain a healthy appetite for gun education, and keep it ongoing.

I've never given anyone handouts, I would if they asked, but to me it seems too much like homework, which could affect how they approach shooting.

Oh one more, start off by shooting paper grocery bags, removes the pressure of having to get a bullseye. Just hit the paper bag to start...

This is a great idea, +1.

If you don't own a .22, do you guys thing 9mm is okay?

Sure, why not? [grin]

Back
Top Bottom