How do you prep newbies before range visits?

Titan

Banned
I have a personal objective of introducing at least 5 new shooters to the sport in the coming year.

I'm curious about what methods/tools some of you use to orient folks to the sport, before a first range visit.

I'd love to hear from you on how you 'train/prep' folks face-to-face, and if you use any printed material, emails, etc. to give them critical points for study.

I'm in the process of doing just that at the moment with my honey. Since we live together it's a lot easier so whenever we have spare time we spend about a half-hour or so at a time.

I started like this:

- Teach SAFE gun handling first and formost. From the NRA Here

- With a revolver and NO AMMO explain the parts and functions of the gun.

- Demonstrate how it works (see my video on Youtube.com) My video here

I'm sure others will post more information so this is just to get you going.

Good luck.

Comfortable safety glasses and hearing protection. Take them during a slack time at the range. Take them to a quiet and sane range. Don't take them to a public range where they rent guns.

Have a .22 pistol available

Snap caps are really helpful for showing them how to safely load and unload.

If they've never shot before, I go with the four rules, plus instructions for loading, unloading, and making safe whatever we're going to be shooting.

I tend to think that the less is explained, the better it sticks, so I try to avoid starting off explanation heavy.

a .22lr revolver or if a Semi-Auto one round at a time in a magazine.

Basic safety instruction.... keep the finger out of the trigger guard, never point it at anything you don't intend to shoot, keep it down range, always assume it is loaded, how to load, clear and secure the weapon.

Sighting the weapon, breathing, proper finger position on the trigger, pull the trigger don't jerk it, and once they get to multiple round shooting trigger reset.

If you don't have a .22 anything I'd double on on the ear protection when they finally start shooting. I'd go with something that has as little kick as possible if they're timid i.e. a heavy steel framed .22 or the like.

I'm in the process of doing just that at the moment with my honey. Since we live together it's a lot easier so whenever we have spare time we spend about a half-hour or so at a time.

I started like this:

- Teach SAFE gun handling first and formost. From the NRA Here

- With a revolver and NO AMMO explain the parts and functions of the gun.

- Demonstrate how it works (see my video on Youtube.com) My video here

I'm sure others will post more information so this is just to get you going.

Good luck.

Thanks for the links. Good advice.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed so far for the tips.

I do have snap caps and will use them.

The guns I would probably choose from for initial training would depend on interests and are...

Walther P22

S&W 686+ with 38 special ammo

Ruger 10/22T

I stress safety, and go over the 4 basic rules. As stupid as it sounds, I make them repeat them back to me.

I also tell them what to expect (noise, recoil, don't expect to hit everything you aim at the first time out, etc).

I also start them off with a .22 rifle (single-shot, lever, pump, or bolt action).

I stress safety, and go over the 4 basic rules. As stupid as it sounds, I make them repeat them back to me.

I also tell them what to expect (noise, recoil, don't expect to hit everything you aim at the first time out, etc).

I also start them off with a .22 rifle (single-shot, lever, pump, or bolt action).

And keep em away from that .22 pistol of yours, the thing is scary! [laugh]

I try to take them during a down time at the range (Sunday afternoons are the best at my range). First thing I do it teach them the 3 (or 4) safety rules. I then break down the pistol and explain the parts and how they work and what happens when you pull the trigger.

Then I let them hold the lower half of the frame (no slide installed) so then can get a feel for the grip and make sure they keep their finger off the trigger. I also teach them the proper grip at this point. I then pick up the slide and show them how to aim properly (just holding the slide, no lower half of the gun).

I then reassemble and step to the line and teach them how to squeeze the trigger, and let them discover when in the trigger stroke the gun will fire (let them dry fire it once so they hear the "click"). I then load 2 or 3 rounds and make them stand behind me while I fire so they get an idea of the noise and recoil. At this time I also teach them how to stand and aim.

I then ask them if they are comfortable. If so, I load a SINGLE round into the gun and set it on the bench so all they have to do is step up, pick up the gun, point it down range and pull the trigger. I start with a single round in case they drop the gun, or fire a single round and then turn to say "that was cool" while turning around with a loaded gun.

I explain to them why the slide locked back, and how the slide operates to cycle in another round. If they are still comfortable I then load up two rounds and do the same thing.

Eventually I give them a loaded mag, and empty gun. I let them put in the mag and rack the slide/release the slide so they get the feeling of knowing "hey, I can operate this gun without training wheels now".

Somewhere in there, I explain to them why all their shots are going low (dipping the muzzle) and explain to them to only focus on keeping the front sight still.

After they get the basics down, its pretty much a free-for-all from there. Let them load the mags, load the gun, and fire all they want (while carefully and cautiously observing over their left shoulder).

First, make sure YOU'RE comfortable - if you're nervous, or hesitant about teachng, it will be contageous.

Second, be ready for surprises - I introduced a friend's wife to the game, and she had minimal sucess with a .22 rifle, .22 pistol, and .410 shotgun. The military 9mm was her favorite: lots of holes in the black!.

Third, keep it simple! Just the basics! No talk of muzzle energy, external balistics or extensive theory! And, when they make a hole in the paper (even if it's not in the X-ring), make sure that they know that it was an AWESOME shot! (I've spoken with Instuctors that will shoot below their own ability to help the student see that no one's perfect....not that I necessarily endorse this, just putting it out there....)

Finally....make sure YOU have fun! If the student feels that they've imposed,
they'll be less likely to go a second time - first time may not set the hook....

Good luck and Good shooting!

I'm getting some great tips...thanks guys.

Any more on handouts or 'study materials' that anyone uses before hand or as 'take aways', or is it consensus that is overload?

I then break down the pistol and explain the parts and how they work and what happens when you pull the trigger.

You obviously don't use a Ruger MkIII for this [laugh]

So far, I've only roped in two people (same trip). We used a ruger mkII and a .22 rifle of some sort (I can't remember, it was a while ago and not my guns). We covered the safety rules beforehand. I loaded the rifle with 1 round, and handed it to them, safety on. Got them lined up, had them remove the safety and shoot once. These were two girls who were kinda scared of the guns, so my friend and I kept shooting the guns, and whenever the girls wanted another try we let them. By the end of the afternoon (and ~700 rounds of .22 or so later) they were comfortable and doing pretty well. There were probably better ways to get them introduced, but it worked.

In Scouts we would have a safety and operation session the meeting before our rifle trips (to Boy Scout Troops even do rifle trips here in MA??). We'd cover safe operation of the rifles, range safety rules, and a brief intro to cleaning (though we never actually had to do this). The rules were re-iterated the day of the shoot. First time shooter were supervised 1 on 1 until we were sure they weren't gonna shoot themselves or anyone else.

Basic safety instruction.... keep the finger out of the trigger guard, never point it at anything you don't intend to shoot, keep it down range, always assume it is loaded, how to load, clear and secure the weapon.
This. Safety rules can be gone over without the weapon. No distractions, just some simple rules. The guns don't come out until these have been reviewed and understood.

Sighting the weapon, breathing, proper finger position on the trigger, pull the trigger don't jerk it, and once they get to multiple round shooting trigger reset.
I do this at the range where we can pick up the gun and keep it in a safe direction.

And yes, single shot loading at first, then multiple rounds.

I'm getting some great tips...thanks guys.

Any more on handouts or 'study materials' that anyone uses before hand or as 'take aways', or is it consensus that is overload?

One other thing I just remembered about stressing the rules is simply repeating:

"Finger, thumbs, downrange."

While holding the pistol, I rotate it so they can see my finger in register and say "finger". Then show them where my thumb is and say "thumb" (i do this do they remember to keep their thumbs away from the back of the slide). Then "down range" is so they always remember to keep the gun pointed down range.

It seems to work pretty good. Three words are pretty easy to remember.

"Finger, thumbs, downrange." I tell them to repeat this to themselves before they pick up the pistol.

I have used air pistols and air rifles to introduce the exceptionally paranoid/timid/meek to hands on safety exercises. Airsoft might even be safer (I don't have any of those). One student I had some years ago was so bad/nervous that I started him out with a rubber band gun (a 6 shot repeater...still have it today). He never got by his issues so I gave him his money back as I couldn't give him his certs. The NRA has some pretty decent materials regarding instruction and firearms safety you may be able to get your hands on to leave with your newbies. EC already stressed the 4 things he makes his students repeat back to him (though I only did 3 of them....and yes, I made them memorize them and repeat them back to me - it is not retahdid to do so).

Depends on the person but usually:

* four basic rules
* ear and eye protection
* explanation of how the firearm works (how to load the mag, drop the slide, how it locks back when you're done)
* explanation of how to unload if asked
* note that if it doesn't go bang, KEEP POINTED DOWN RANGE, could be a hangfire or misfire

This. Although my .22 is a semi-auto.

Generally, if it's someone who I'll most likely only take once, I stress the safety and less the form of shooting. I show them how to hold the rifle properly and line up the sights. I generally don't get into natural point of aim and things like that unless they're a real natural. I mostly want them to have fun, and most people can do that without punching out the X ring.

If they do well with the .22 and want to step up a little bit, I go over safety again with the SKS; teaching them about recoil and the differences in operating it and the Marlin 60.

Usually the people I bring to the range are friends who've never been, or never would go, and just want to try something new out. I emphasize having safe fun over anything else..I have somewhat of a tendancy of worrying that I'll bore them if I start telling them what a bolt release is or how to adjust for a natural point of aim. I save that for the guests who want to keep going and learn to shoot better.

Consequently, I almost always have more fun at the range when I'm with a new shooter than by myself or with my regular shooting buddies.

Guests get ammo on their first trip for free. After that they have to chip in.

Last edited:
I'm an instructor, and I happen to have a very large urban, left leaning social circle, so I have a lot of opportunities to introduce new people to shooting. In fact, my father is trying to convince his wife to agree to buy a gun for their home, so I took the two of them to the range this weekend.

One thing to keep in mind when you're working with new shooters is that you need to keep it simple. They don't need to know the name of every part of the gun, or the advantages of .45 over 9mm, or proper breathing techniques while shooting. You just need to be sure they're safe, comfortable, and hitting the paper under 10 yards.

Before we step foot on the range or even see a gun, I spend at least a solid half hour with a new shooter going over safety. I go over the first four Rules, first reciting the rule, then explaining and discussing each one with some examples or anecdotes, answering any questions, then having them recite the rule back to me. Sometimes I'll use a blue gun for demonstration, but I'll keep the firearms stowed (tends to distract at this point in time). Then I'll talk a little about what I call "range etiquette." We'll talk about eyes and ears, what to do if the gun jams, the Cease Fire command, etc, etc.

I also have a handout with all this info (bulletin points, no details) that I hand out.

Then we'll go to the range, and I'll walk through the basic operations of a .22 revolver (Smith 617) - how to load, grip, single action & double action trigger pull, and a very basic how-to-shoot (sight picture, sight alignment and a word or two on trigger squeeze).

I'll load and fire a couple rounds with them watching, so they know what to expect when the gun discharges. Then I'll have them dry fire a couple times. Then they get to shoot, usually 2-3 cylinders. I never use a target, just a blank piece of paper.

Then we move onto a semi auto .22 (Ruger MkII), and we basically follow the same steps. Then, if they're doing well and comfortable, I'll move them up to .38 Special (Smith 686) and 9mm (Beretta 92FS), using the same procedure.

From there, the next step depends entirely on WHY I have the person at the range, and try to personalize the experience - educational, fun, etc. Maybe we'll move onto long arms, maybe we'll try out more of a variety of small and medium caliber handguns, maybe we'll move onto big stuff. They key is always focusing on safety, comfort and simplicity.

One thing I forgot - if you're teaching new people, BRING A FRIEND! When I'm bringing new people to the range (especially when it's more than one or two at a time), I always try to have a shooting buddy with me. They don't need to be an instructor or a pro, but having a second pair of experienced eyes at the range with you is invaluable.

I do a big shooting event for newbies every year (10-20 shooters), and Fooped has been there the last 2 years to help out. I never would have been able to do it without him.

And even this weekend with only 2 shooters, I had my girlfriend with me. She's only been shooting for about a year, but she knows what she's doing, and she'll see things that I miss, or be able to relate to a student better than I can. And her guns plus my guns means there are twice as many guns we can use.

I stress the 4 rules.
Tell them how to point out unsafe acts ("the proper term is to yell 'cease fire', but I've also found that screaming 'holy cr@p stop shooting!!!' works well - you've got to add humor and let them know that they don't have to get the terms right).
Point out some of the basic "gotcha" terms so they'll feel a little more confident when talking to someone (clip versus magazine, bullet versus cartridge, etc - mainly to prevent someone from criticizing them and making them more uncomfortable than they are).
I make sure they've got closed toed shoes and (for the females) a high necked shirt. I really stress this, and make them realize that they are in far more danger of getting a small (but painful) burn from one of the empty shells than from being hurt from the business end of the firearm. This tends to put them a little more at ease, I've found.
Finally, I give them lots of encouragement and congratulate them on hitting the paper, if they do real well, I tear down the target and write thier name on it with me as a witness and put it aside for them to keep.
Always at the end, I tell them that I had a great time, and they're always invited back, and to let me know if they need help getting a permit and gun of their own.

My regiment for new shooters involves most of what has mentioned, but here we go, mostly in order:

- Discuss the history and reason for us having this freedom and the importance of maintaining our heritage.
- Go over the safety rules, make them *memorize* them and repeat them back.
- Demonstrate proper trigger and muzzle control.
- Demonstrate how to make the firearm safe, verify it is safe, and how to work the firearm, load and unload, etc.
- Demonstrate how to aim and dry fire.
- Discuss malfunctions and how to deal with them safely.

Then off to the range, where we go over the above again. I usually start them off with a .22 pistol/rifle, then work up from there. I have them demonstrate the safe handling, etc while at the range. I then give them *one* round and let them shoot that, repeating a few times. After that we go a couple rounds and do a double-tap, etc then work up to a full mag. Same goes with rifle or pistol, then we work up to larger calibers, etc. Usually by the end of the day we are doing Appleseed-style drills on AQTs.

By the end of the day a new shooter is usually born and that they end up wanting to do an Appleseed. [grin]

I just take them there, let them shoot and look at their target, laugh and say "You suck! THIS is how you shoot!" and proceed to send 10 bullets through the same hole at 50 feet.

But really, I haven't taken anyone with me yet, lord knows I offer. It kinda sucks going by yourself, late at night with noone there. Oh well, more for me I guess.

Back
Top Bottom