How do you practice for IDPA?

I've got some decent targets, and Im just curious what people do to practice. Yesterday, I ran stage 1 of the classifier, which I thought was helpful, but what else can I add to my practice? Thoughts?
You can practice all three stages of the classifier. That helps somewhat, but doesn't help you practice getting into and out of a position. One drill you can do is to step forward one step, drawing as you go, and fire one shot into the target. Repeat. Change to three steps. Repeat. Change which foot you move, repeat.

More drills here: http://brianenos.com/pages/reviews.html#steve

Go to some local matches- figure out what skills are most often required. I think the classifiers stages are some of the best drills you can run for the round count- but that alone won't help you win matches. Practice getting into position behind barricades quickly, shooting in awkward positions, etc.

IMO the required skills for USPSA and IDPA are very similar- respect all targets, get good hits, learn to shoot on the move and around walls, thru ports, etc. Both sports require the ability to make tough shots... work on that first.

One thing that the classifier doesn't help you with is field courses. I used to practice the classifier a lot and as a result I do OK on "stand and deliver" type of stages, but don't do as well on field stages (stages with more movement).

One recommendation that has helped me is to practice the things that you suck at.

One thing that the classifier doesn't help you with is field courses. I used to practice the classifier a lot and as a result I do OK on "stand and deliver" type of stages, but don't do as well on field stages (stages with more movement).

One recommendation that has helped me is to practice the things that you suck at.

Certainly.. but the fundamentals are the building blocks or running a good field course. Plus, it's always a bitch setting up field courses for practice... but you can make up portions.

On the practicing what you suck at.. I have mixed feelings on this.

If you suck at long shots- you need to work on that.
If you suck at reloads- you need to work on that.
If you suck at steel- you need to work on that.

However- there are some skills that are more important than others. Without getting into specifics- I'd practice all of the above before practicing tac-reloads, since they USUALLY aren't required in matches, but are optional. Strong hand shooting is more prevalent than weak hand in matches so plan accordingly.

You need to evaluate what is costing you time in the end - that's what to work on. But, I think if you try to tackle too many things at once it will be hard to measure what is working consistantly. Just an example, one thing for me is I know I lose time on mag changes. That's what I practice right now. Either at home with dummy rounds, or at the range (load one round, fire, drop, reload, rinse and repeat) I don't waste my time throwing rounds down range "just because", it's one at a time with a reload since that's what I'm working on.

If I were nose-diving and dropping shots I'd be dry firing at home, etc.

I'm also limited on what I can actually do to pratice at my club (range rules). So alot of my experience is through matches. If you have some place where you can fully practice IDPA, take full advatage! [grin]

If you really want to be a better shooter, take a class with someone that knows what they are doing and that is geared towards competition. You have a perfect opportunity to develop the correct skills and fundamentals while not having to dig out of bad training ruts.

At the very least, find someone to practice with that correctly understands the fundamental and can not only recognize what you are doing right and wrong, but knows how to correct the issue

And video tape your practices and matches, then have other critique them

Last edited:
And video tape your practices and matches, then have other critique them

I did that. Worked well as you have some great shooters on this forum including this bacon guy ^ who offer good advice.

Practice what you're not good at. It sucks but you sort of have to in order to get better.
Don't forget your weak hand only, strong hand only drills.

And when you practice, do it with a timer if you don't already have one. Set the par time so you can keep a record of what you are doing.

Practice? what's that? seriously, go to every match you can. Shoot every weekend and then some. And as Mike said, find someone who knows what they are doing.

When IDPA was first formed, the idea of the average person competing with carry gear was the prevalent theme. You could use pretty much any concealed carry gear and with minimal skills, you could succeed at a match (I did NOT say win)

The Classifier match was designed to have all the skills necessary to compete in one place. It has draw and fire, head shots, shooting on the move, shooting from cover, and some longer range. The idea was, if you did well on the classifier, you could succeed in a match at a higher level than someone who did not have the skills.

If you worked on the classifier stages, it would give you the basics for any IDPA match.

(DELETED so as not to upset the IDPA Cheer leader who needs to re-read the entire rule book)

The best way to become a better shooter is shoot USPSA and stop playing hide and seek.

Last edited:
If you are looking for things to practice I would recommend the following on top of what a lot that has been said already in this thread.

Free: http://pistol-training.com/drills - specifically dot torture drill, 1-reload-2, 26662 drill

Not Free: I would suggest buying this book, Competition Handgun Training program by Mike Seeklander - https://www.createspace.com/3418137

Free: iPhone app, by Surefire called ShotTimer which will help you with par times especially for dry fire drills.

You sure do.. and you win too. And not just IDPA. [wink]

Gary- I can understand Mike making fun of the sport, he's a funny bastid usually... I can't understand all your continuous bitterness towards IDPA. Regardless as to why... why bother with these kinds of posts when the OP is looking for REAL advice??? Isn't it enough now? Ok we KNOW you don't like it.

You sure do.. and you win too. And not just IDPA. [wink]

Gary- I can understand Mike making fun of the sport, he's a funny bastid usually... I can't understand all your continuous bitterness towards IDPA. Regardless as to why... why bother with these kinds of posts when the OP is looking for REAL advice??? Isn't it enough now? Ok we KNOW you don't like it.

And when did you become the hall monitor. Last I knew free speech was still allowed and the OP DID get REAL advice. If you disagree with it, that is your right.

What I truly get sick of is you constantly turning all threads into something IDPA. Kinda like what you did with the Walls of Steel thread. It detracts from the other sports.

All sides of the issue and all opinions of what IDPA is and is NOT should be presented. If you don't like what I post, there is an ignore button.

Last edited:
What I truly get sick of is you constantly turning all threads into something IDPA. Kinda like what you did with the Walls of Steel thread. It detracts from the other sports.

I think your facts are off here. My post in the WoS thread was related to the NER scheduling conflict I responded to. I never said a damn thing that detracted from the WoS match, quite the opposite Gary, I made a point to let people that shoot both know that I would do what I can to prevent such scheduling conflicts next year. I have never said anything that detracts from WoS or USPSA, etc. If you want to personally attack me like you did and then delete that part of the post- take it off line with me. I may be an advocate of IPDA and all shooting sports. Getting into IDPA was what helped me meet some great friends that got me into USPSA, WoS, etc so yeah... I'm a cheerleader... not a grump.

Practice

Dry fire at home. Unloaded firearm, holster and any mag pouches on your belt. Practice your draw, target aquisition, sight aquisition, trigger squeeze then mag change. dont squeeze the trigger unless that front sight is on the target. make sure you watch the fresh magazine as you make the change, you want to see it into the magwell.

Couple hours a night will make a huge difference in your match performance.

Now I'll retreat to behind the firing line again.

I think your facts are off here. My post in the WoS thread was related to the NER scheduling conflict I responded to. I never said a damn thing that detracted from the WoS match, quite the opposite Gary, I made a point to let people that shoot both know that I would do what I can to prevent such scheduling conflicts next year. I have never said anything that detracts from WoS or USPSA, etc. If you want to personally attack me like you did and then delete that part of the post- take it off line with me. I may be an advocate of IPDA and all shooting sports. Getting into IDPA was what helped me meet some great friends that got me into USPSA, WoS, etc so yeah... I'm a cheerleader... not a grump.

Your continuous posts cluttered the thread and maybe, just maybe, you should have started another rather than clutter up the Walls thread with all things IDPA. Maybe your statements should have been in the NE Regional thread which was the conflicting match.

You were the one who started the "Personal attacks" by calling me out and stating my information was not "Real" My post explained why the classifier was used and how it was designed to help. You saw only the part which mentioned the competition only clothing which has infiltrated the sport in spite of a statement in the rule book disallowing it. My post NEVER ,mentioned you but you come back at me so, obviously, there is some guilt there.

I will point your attention to the IDPA section on "Competition only Clothing" When IDPA started, this was part of it which was supposed to eliminate the bill board shirts. Team this, team that was all supposed to be NOT for IDPA. Now they limit it to specific vest modifications. It changed. I disagree with the change. Then we see SSR modifications like speed loaders specifically modified for competition. Guess they are allowed now. It changed and I disagree with the change. Then they started strictly scripting the stages. I totally disagree with that concept. Now, individual walk through of stages seem to be allowed. That is forbidden in the rules but overlooked. And on and on.

The main goal is to test the skill and ability of the individual, not equipment or gamesmanship. “Competition only” equipment is not permitted in this sport.

We all play games for different reasons and we find games that fit what we want out of them. Then people new to the sports decide there is a better way. The better way is not always the best way. I was met in a very insulting way early on by the Metro West Tactical group and that is what soured me on IDPA. The lack of knowledge as to how and why the sport developed and what it is supposed to be was lost. Maybe the group has changed but I will not support any of their matches. Maybe that is just my loss. Same reason I stopped shooting the S&W match. Rude and clueless Safety Officers at the last Winter Championship I attended. I will not pay to be insulted. I can come here and have that done for free. [wink]

IDPA in the North East is not what it was 10 years ago but this will be the last you hear from me on it. My membership expires soon and I will not be back. The loss is to the sport. I have worked matches in three states over the years and ran a lot of shooters through the classifier with MY targets on My time. I have given a lot to the sport with no return expected.

You are a very good shooter Dave and I commend you for your dedication to the sport. My problem is I do not deal well with BS and that seems to be what I find here more and more.
If your feelings are hurt Dave, because I don't like your shirt or your attitude, tough. You started this by calling me out and I won't back down here or in person. This started in public and as far as I am concerned it is finished in public. I am entitled to my opinion and I have stated it. IDPA in the Northeast has moved away from what it originally was intended to be by those who originally formed it with Bill Wilson.

Sorry I dirtied this thread. Maybe I am a grump but at least I am an honest one whether you like it or not.

Last edited:
I like Saul Kirsch's practice matrix idea a lot. Basically, make a list of all the skills you see needed in matches. Give them a importance from 1-10 and rate your skill level 1-10. For each skill multiply the importance times ten minus your skill level. Practice the biggest numbers. Check out his book "Thinking Practical Shooting" for more.

I think Steve Anderson's book "Refinement and Repetition" is a great set of dry fire drills. I just got the Seeklander book Ken mentioned, and it looks great. It really goes in to coming up with a good training plan.

Dry fire at home. Unloaded firearm, holster and any mag pouches on your belt. Practice your draw, target aquisition, sight aquisition, trigger squeeze then mag change. dont squeeze the trigger unless that front sight is on the target. make sure you watch the fresh magazine as you make the change, you want to see it into the magwell.

Couple hours a night will make a huge difference in your match performance.

Now I'll retreat to behind the firing line again.

The only part I disagree with is unloaded mag, using full weigh dummy rounds definitely makes a difference on how the gun reacts and tracks. same with mag changes

Maybe the thread should have been more about pistol training than IDPA specific... Thanks for the pointers guys. I'm always interested in new ideas for training. I've been dry firing and practicing reloads, but needed some new drills for the range.

Back
Top Bottom