• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you lock a Savage 99?

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
I have a lever action Savage 99. I want to know if anyoune has any ideas how to legally secure it without putting it in a safe. I have it squeezed in there now, but it falls out and bumps me when I open the safe.

I know I should get another safe, and will soon, but I'm planning a move in the spring and don't want to buy anything right now.

A regular trigger lock will not stay on because the lever disengages it.

Is there some type of breech lock or muzzle lock that would be legal?

I can't use a bike type lock because the only opening is the loading/ejection port.

How about a cable lock to wrap around the stock through the lever? That's what I use on my Marlin 1894.

Try a cable type lock throught the lever loop and around the wrist of the stock.
If the cable is too long, wrap it twice around.
It should prevent the lever from opening enough to load the gun.

Use a soft case with a lock in the zipper.

OR, I saw a neat device at Walmart of all places. It went through the lever, around the grip area and had a lock that sat behind the hammer so you could not cock it. can't load, cock, or operate the action with it in place.

You take away his keys!

(Sorry, it reminded me of the old "How do you stop and elephant from charging?" joke.)

NEVER store a gun in a soft case. It's a sure recipe for rust.[crying]

I guess it depends on the case itself and the environment. Before I got
something remotely approximating a safe, I stored the 3 long guns I had
all in soft cases, in the corner of my closet. I did take the guns out
of the cases once every couple of months though, wether I was going to take
them to the range or not.

Now those egg-crate FOAM type cases... I agree, that those can be bad juju,
the foam can do weird things to finishes on a gun if they have to touch for
long periods of time. (Ever notice that S+W packs this piece of brown
paper the gun is wrapped in before the case is closed? I'm guessing that
keeps the moisture or evil foam juice or whatever it is away from the gun).

-Mike

If the lock is the same one Chris mentioned that I saw Iit could be opened with a pair of needle nose oliers. I have the same problem with my 3 single shot falling block rifle you can slip trigger lock off .
solution bought a nice albeit heavy ALUMINIUM lockable case.
Sharps and case 30# Holy Tendonitis Batman

Thanks for the good ideas folks. I thought I was going to get dumped on for such a dumb question, I'm real glad to get good answers.

Bill

I guess it depends on the case itself and the environment. ...
-Mike
I've bought quite a few guns in the last 40 years, from people whose luck ran out. A Ruger Blackhawk for $50 and a Win.94 for $45 were the most recent. The Ruger went back to the factory for a refinish. The Winchester was parted out, a shame too, it was unfired.

Back
Top Bottom