• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How do you clean up spilled powder?

Now that I have been reloading .223 I have a lot more spilled powder due to the Finocchi being hard to seat. How do you clean up the spilled powder on the floor? I have a Fein shop vac that is all plastic and has an anti-static hose, is this an ok approach or am I asked for trouble? It is around 40% rh in my basement and the floor is concrete.

Chris

If you're concerned about a static spark ignition, lightly mist the floor area as well as the hose and wand of the vacuum with water then vacuum it up. Dump the bag or contents outside away from the house afterwards.

I wouldn't use a vac wet or dry. It might not ignite right away but then you've got power residue in the vac.

Ideally use an old fashion hair dust broom. A paint brush would work too. Put in paper bag. Save for BBQ starting [devil2]

How-to-Identify-Heroin-300x200.jpg

I had a shop vac light up on me once when I was vacuuming my reloading area. It had a mix of sawdust, wood shavings, and smokeless powder in it at the time. It was awe inspiring.

Fortunately, I have a walk-out basement. Except it was a run-out basement that day when I dragged the burning shop vac into the yard.. I've been sweeping it up since then.

I had a shop vac light up on me once when I was vacuuming my reloading area. It had a mix of sawdust, wood shavings, and smokeless powder in it at the time. It was awe inspiring.

Fortunately, I have a walk-out basement. Except it was a run-out basement that day when I dragged the burning shop vac into the yard.. I've been sweeping it up since then.

I would have shipped my pants.

-Trolling via S3.-

If it's an ongoing issue, try a small rug (4x6) under the press area. It catches the powder, and you can take it out and shake it clean.

[rofl]

If it's an ongoing issue, try a small rug (4x6) under the press area. It catches the powder, and you can take it out and shake it clean.

No, I am doing fine now, but when I was first setting up the press for .223 there was a lot of spilled powder. Sounds like I should be fine sweeping up the large messes and vacuuming whatever is left.

Chris

No, I am doing fine now, but when I was first setting up the press for .223 there was a lot of spilled powder. Sounds like I should be fine sweeping up the large messes and vacuuming whatever is left.

Chris
Keep a fire extinguisher and exit at the ready.

Static is what you want to avoid.

-Trolling via S3.-

I like this story, I can picture this happening to me.

Back
Top Bottom