How do I break in my leather holster?

So I have just received my Galco shoulder hoslter (Miami Classic II), but my gun is quite snug in it, to the point that there's no way I could draw it in any reasonable self defense encounter. I've heard ideas like putting the gun in a sock and holstering it overnight to stretch the holster and break it in so that the gun fits reasonably. Since the holster has a retention snap, I don't need to worry too much about the gun falling out, so it seems that looser is better. I don't like the idea of carrying in a holster that I can't draw from, so I'd like to get it broken in before carrying with it. Does anyone have any tips?

The sock thing works great, use a thin dress sock and stick in the safe for the day, also spraying the inside with Jig-a-Loo silicone lubricant or both.

I had the same problem with a Mitch Rosen holster for my P45. I just left the gun in the holster overnight a few times and now it works fine.

I got a new Galco recently and what I did was pour some CLP in the inside of the holster a few times; it serves two functions -- loosens up the leather and it lubes my gun while it's holstered...lol. True story.

Don't try and soften your holster, it will lose its shape forever.

and by all means do not use petroleum products either it will eventually

ruin it. your hoster needs to retain its shape. Galco makes "draw ez"

you apply a small amount to the inside of your holster and your gun will

come out. .

JimB

Don't apply ANYTHING to the holster or the gun.

Run the gun in and out of the holster repeatedly until it breaks in. If there is some sort of dimple on the leather designed to engage the trigger guard or ejection port, you can moisten that part of the holster with water to soften the leather and work it back in and out until you achieve the desired level of retention. Then let the holster air dry completely.

Wear it. All leather will mold to shape with a little warmth and moisture. Once the shape and fit is as you like it use any leather dressing than does not soften or stretch the leather.

Just use it. [smile]

It'll be stiff for a day or two, but that's the best way to break it in. Don't pour all kinds of lubricants on it, you'll mess up the leather & decrease it's service life.

Motor oil for a leather lube? [shocked] Try some Lexol, Mink Oil, Feiblings, or some of the other good quality leather boot/saddle conditioners.

I use leather gloves at work, & the diesel fuel & other oils usually ruin them within a month or two. Each his own, however, & if it works for you, keep doing it. [wink]

Last edited:
Hmm, when I left for tennis this morning I just knew I'd come back to some interesting comments. I just knew somebody on this site would say I'm wrong, funny how I knew that. Maybe it's due to all the Internet experts here. Or maybe I'm just not old enough to have seen the damage, most of my holsters are only 10-15 years old, and I have never seen oil ruin the leather in any of them. I've used motor oil on one holster, still works, not ruined. Maybe it will happen at year 20? [grin]

Just sounds funny to me to think oil will ruin leather -- Why, well when I clean my pistols I always leave a light coating of CLP on them, then I holster it -- how come over time that hasn't ruined my leather holsters?

I've used oil on leather boots, leather gloves and leather holsters and I have never seen any damage due to it. I'm not saying I soak anything in oil, just give it some lube. I dunno, maybe it just me. Good luck.

Last edited:
So I was impatient and didn't wait for many responses, and I did the sock thing last night. I ended up using two dress socks, because they were particularly thin. It seems to have worked well. This morning I could draw it easily, but it wasn't so loose that it wobbled around. If I use a leather care solution, I'll probably get it from Galco. I don't want to risk messing up such an expensive holster.

Just use it. [smile]
My Galco M&P45 was MUCH tighter than the others. I just crammed my M&P in as far as it would go and left it in the gun safe for a couple of days... Then some cycling (repeated draw/re-holster) and a few more days with the gun crammed in as far as it would go and its fine now...

One thing that I do...which is an old county way of breaking in boots.

Put the gun in a plastic bag. SHOVE it in the holster. Pour rubbing alcohol so it soaks into the leather. IT will mold to the gun...then when it drys it will shrink to the exact fit of the gun. And it will fit perfectly.

I've done it many times for my cowboy guns. It also works for boots. Put on your boots...soak them while you're wearing them. Then when they dry, they will fit very well.

People do it all the time in the South on 300 dollar boots. If it's good enough for them, it should be fine on a 50 dollar holster.

All my leather is made to order and takes anywhere from 5 to 16 weeks to get. Even though no holster I have is over $100, I am not going to take the chance of ruining something I waited that long for.

They will break in on their own if you just use them.

I have the Vertical shoulder system from Galco. Mine was tight at first, just put the pistol in it for a day or two. Do not use any mink oils or saddle soaps to soften it else you'll lose the shape. The only thing you'll need by way of care is Galcos leather lotion. I do all my leather with it along with all the firearms during the christmas break. Three days later, I'm all set.

Back
Top Bottom