How could we go about getting a Louisiana style "fundamental right" amendment in NH.

I don't know if many people noticed it but in the election the people of Louisiana voted to amend their State Constitution to list the right to own and carry firearms as "Fundamental". Thereby protecting them from any politician who tries to pass unilateral gun restriction, or any judge from using their "interpretation" of gun laws to push for restriction without putting it on a ballot. Given the freedom we have to own firearms here and the heavy restrictions of almost all the states surrounding us it seems that this would be a good thing for NH Gun Enthusiasts to push for. Any Ideas?

The LA law goes much further than Constitutional carry... who was behind the NH bill? I just see restrictions galore around us and I like it here...I don't want to move to the south if I can avoid it.

Article 2a of the NH constitution is very clear.

[Art.] 2-a. [The Bearing of Arms.] All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state.

December 1, 1982

Constitutional carry would have removed any need for a P&R license (ie Vermont/Arizona/Alaska carry), except one could be issued for reciprocal purposes with other states. The bill was set to pass, except the NRA decided it needed "improving" (so they could claim credit) and due to the long term pissing contests among the pro gun groups, it lost the votes to override Gov Lynch's expected veto... and the new legislative majorities and gov will never vote for it now...

Louisiana constitution as amended:
LA said:
The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms is fundamental and shall not be infringed. Any restriction on this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny.
The change removed "but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person" and added the sentence about "strict scrutiny"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom