How are you eating while bugging out?

If you are in a real BO situation, water is your main concern. Food is only secondary. Get some of those lifeboat bars and keep moving.

So here are the pictures of my cooking gear.

the pouch I made to keep my food hot as it rehydrates. (the water goes in the regular package and the package slips into the insulated pouch)
Then there is a series of photos showing my snowpeak cook set (280z) and how the items are stored inside. The orange cup can be used as a cup or as a coozie to hold onto the hot pot. There is a lid to decrease boil times and also doubles as a pot holder.
Then you can see the contents laid out that live in my cookset. (I realized I moved my small pocket knife to a pocket in my backpack so it is no longer in my altoid tin)

cookingbag.JPG
enclosed.JPG
coveronbottom.JPG
inthepot.JPG
contents.JPG

Total weight of gear and cost?
Thanks,
~Matt

Weight is 1 pound 4.1 ounces

cost:
Snow peak is $50 at REI http://www.rei.com/product/800043/snow-peak-hybrid-summit-cookset
Esbit stove runs $12 at REI (cheaper elsewhere as low as $9) http://www.rei.com/product/653343/esbit-pocket-stove
the sharpener is about $6
magnesium fire starters are $6-$9 depending where you get them
Bic lighter $1?
esbit tab replacements are pretty cheap
cotton balls and vaseline and matches are all pretty cheap.
used altoid tin - free

total cost about $75-$80.

I like the esbit stoves because I don't have to worry about liquid fuel or fuel canisters. If I had to I can burn wood instead of tabs.

Extra fuel tabs are about $2 for a dozen. If you want to go even lighter, a MSR Titan will save you 2 ounces over the snowpeak (though both are about as light as they come), get rid of the unnecessary things like the altoid tin, cotton balls/vaseline/extra fire starters. I like the fuel tabs over fuel for the convenience. I even find them more convenient for actual backpacking as well.

If you are in a real BO situation, water is your main concern. Food is only secondary. Get some of those lifeboat bars and keep moving.

I found some of those at a pretty good price here. I like the idea of extreme simplicity of food in a BOB.

I'm also strongly considering getting a Kelly Kettle but as someone mentioned, burning wood can bring unwanted attention. I wonder how well the Kelly Kettle would work with using those fuel discs only?

I found some of those at a pretty good price here. I like the idea of extreme simplicity of food in a BOB.

I'm also strongly considering getting a Kelly Kettle but as someone mentioned, burning wood can bring unwanted attention. I wonder how well the Kelly Kettle would work with using those fuel discs only?
kelly kettles are great. a group of us just used one for coffee and mountain house food while camping over the weekend. water boiled using pine cones and needles. but it is huge. we actually discussed how cool it was but how terrible it would be to carry in a backpack for camping or whatnot.
also, emergency essentials has that kit on sale for $95 this month.

Most places that carry lifeboat bars will also carry lifeboat water pouches. You can leave those in your car year-round as well as the bars.
I leave regular bottles of water in my car year round and have never had an issue with them. Not saying I never will, but it hasn't come up yet. Getting a case of the lifeboat water pouches or aqua blox is on my list of things to do, just haven't gotten around to it, yet.

Edited for spelling fail.

Since the Northeast has such relatively abundant water year round, I would lean towards a filtration solution, personally. The Katadyn portable pump filters look good but I haven't purchased or used one yet.

Extra fuel tabs are about $2 for a dozen. If you want to go even lighter, a MSR Titan will save you 2 ounces over the snowpeak (though both are about as light as they come), get rid of the unnecessary things like the altoid tin, cotton balls/vaseline/extra fire starters. I like the fuel tabs over fuel for the convenience. I even find them more convenient for actual backpacking as well.

I always have extra ways to start fires. If I need heat I want to be able to make a fire. the cotton balls soaked in vaseline and matches and fire starter are for making fires if needed for warmth. I also carry a blast match elsewhere in my pack.

The esbit tabs are for cooking/heating water

Back
Top Bottom