How are you eating while bugging out?

FrugalFannie

NES Member
A lot of times I see people posting what they have for food in their GHB/BoB but very little about what they have for cooking it. Yes, I carry food that requires some 'cooking' as well as food that doesn't. So, What have you got in your GHB/BoB to cook your food/heat your water?

While these are stock photos, this is what I carry. Maybe tomorrow I will take pics from my GHB and show you how I stash this stuff. I also use this same exact set up when backpacking.

This is my cook set. http://www.backcountryedge.com/snow_peak-hybrid-summit-solo.aspx
I use an esbit stove for heating. http://www.basspro.com/Esbit-Pocket...sions&kpid=13092506162616&kpid=13092506162616

The stove, 12 tabs, a lighter, knife sharpener, an altoid tin (with vaseline soaked cotton balls, waterproof matches and striking surface, fire steel, and small knife) and a couple of other items (IIRC) all fit inside the mug.

I also pack an insulated pouch I made myself to slide my dehydrated meals into for 'cooking.'

My bug out bag has 4 mountain house meals , a few high protein bars ( chocolate-peanut yummy ) and a pair of MREs. Oh , and like 20 of Starbucks instant coffee packs.

The coffee is the only thing that needs a cooking container , and I have one of those Nalgene bottle stainless cups.

My hierarchy of Bug Out food prep is as follows

Junior beef , mayo, cheese. Small fry. Small coke to go , please.
Pocket snack bars.
MRE
Mountain House
Cabinet / Pantry
Long term storage.

Each level is more of a PIA to prepare.

Bug Out , to me , is " travel time." With a destination in mind. And seriously ( and realistically ) Plan A is to get ahead of the pack if possible. That means I can eat road food , or stop into Ossippee Pizza House on the way. Failing that , I fall back a level on the plan.

I put an esbit stove, a GI canteen cup, and a Sierra Cup in the wife's BoB. I have a GI canteen/canteen cup/stove and triox tabs for our primary cooking needs. My BoB has one canteen cup lid, too. I also have a titanium firefly wood burning stove in the pack for plan B. You can use triox/esbit tabs or wood in the stove and it weighs nothing. The canteen cups fit on all these stoves.

Example GI Canteen/Cup/Stove here.
Sierra Cup here.
Firefly stove here.

Last edited:
Fire in general is a bad idea if you're attempting to move undetected. If you want hot water, get a jetboil and call it a day. It will minimize the time you spend prepping hot food and give off no odor.

I keep Coast Guard approved lifeboat rations in my car in case of blizzard or etc. They're good for 5 years through the full range of temps we get here in the Northeast. Datrex or Mainstay bars, and Datrex water in pouches. The bars aren't nutritionally complete, but are packed with non thirst provoking calories. Water pouches can handle freeze/thaw cycles without bursting.

For longer term, I'm thinking of throwing an MRE or two in there too. That Esbit stove does look useful, though. Very light and compact.

I've got an Esbit Cookset on its way to my house. I was going to go with the Esbit folding stove and a USGI canteen, but this seemed like it accomplished both of those tasks in a simpler package. I expect I'll pack some Starbucks VIA packets, cocoa and maybe some bouillon cubes in it. The Esbit stoves will work with twigs in a pinch.

I also have a JetBoil stove and an MSR Internationale stove, but this just seemed quicker and more compact. The JetBoil is awesome but requires the bulky fuel (which does pack inside the cup). I also don't like that you never really know how much fuel is left. I use that when I'm camping and only need to heat water.

The MSR stove works great, but is a lot more to set up if you're just trying to boil a cup of water. I save that for camping.

Of course I'll have some fire starting devices in an Altoid tin, like PennyPincher. I use dryer lint soaked in vaseline, but otherwise we have the same setup. Now that I think of it, I might make some small lint/wax cubes for backup use in the Esbit stove.

Was just looking at this. These little solo stoves will burn twigs, leaves, etc. Great reviews and build quality: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

I was just looking at those too... Seems like a much better idea, since you don't need to worry about bringing fuel with you. The 'Titan' version looks like a good one to go with. Unless you're sure it will only be you and maybe one other person. I'd rather have more capability than less.

Try to remember burning wood is one of the most recognizable smells humans can detect and it can be smelled very far away. Burning wood in an escape/evade scenario is probably the dumbest thing you could ever do. If you're going to use a solo stove for regular camping or homesteading, its a good plan. In a BOB it's a poor one.

Was just looking at this. These little solo stoves will burn twigs, leaves, etc. Great reviews and build quality: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

I was just looking at those too... Seems like a much better idea, since you don't need to worry about bringing fuel with you. The 'Titan' version looks like a good one to go with. Unless you're sure it will only be you and maybe one other person. I'd rather have more capability than less.

I would rather pack a cube than have to try to find burnable wood in the winter or wet. I can still use twigs/sticks/etc with the esbit, but having the tabs is just a gaurantee that I have 'fuel.'

I would rather pack a cube than have to try to find burnable wood in the winter or wet. I can still use twigs/sticks/etc with the esbit, but having the tabs is just a gaurantee that I have 'fuel.'

It works with those too of course.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems awful pricey for a thing that holds your fire. An empty can with holes cut in the side for wood and bottom for air would do the trick for $0.05.

That's cool too. Then carry an empty can around with you and something to cut nice holes in it. [smile] I'm not trying to sell anything, just throwing around options.

A lot of good stuff here, useful info and what not. I saw that low dollar stove, I think it was for 2 bucks that someone posted in the thread, one of our mechanics wants to build a couple for himself and me. Nothing to do with cost but he thinks he can improve on it. Anyway, it would be a useful thing to have something in my truck full time with a small stash of supplies just incase. Really, you never know.

Try to remember burning wood is one of the most recognizable smells humans can detect and it can be smelled very far away. Burning wood in an escape/evade scenario is probably the dumbest thing you could ever do. If you're going to use a solo stove for regular camping or homesteading, its a good plan. In a BOB it's a poor one.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRE's are big and bulky. Do you guys break them down or just have giant freaking bags?

I don't have a 'BoB' per say, but I do keep a 'survival' bag in my car. I use the same thing I use for backpacking, a little fold-up Esbit stove and fuel tabs. For food, I just have some Ramen, candy bars and candy, maybe some jerky, and backpacking dehydrated meals.

I have several ways to cook and boil water: esbit stove with fuel tabs(tabs can also be used to start camp fires), emberlite backpacking stove that uses wood with little waste unlike a normal camp fire and a small canister stove.

I am a fan of food in light weight pouches like spam, tuna and other assorted foodstuffs. Furthermore, one can buy just add water and boil pouches from Lipton for one's carb requirements.

Last edited:
If I'm moving fast...I'm eating cold.

This^

I have several ways to cook and boil water: esbit stove with fuel tabs(tabs can also be used to start camp fires), emberlite backpacking stove that uses wood with little waste unlike a normal camp fire and a small canister stove.

I am a fan of food in light weight pouches like spam, tuna and other assorted foodstuffs. Furthermore, one can buy just add water and boil pouches from Lipton for one's carb requirements.

Spam, tuna & most stuff of that nature can be eaten cold AND while moving.
Sure a warm meal can be nice (especially in cold/raw weather) but sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.

Me too. Just some water purification tablets and food I can eat cold.

I get that, if you are on the move. I keep my GHB (get home bag) in my vehicle. So maybe I am broken down in a snowstorm and waiting for assistance, or stuck at work overnight (without electricity) and everything is shut down around me. I can heat water for the dehydrated foods I keep with me and have a nice hot meal, or just eat my almonds and jerky, etc. I have options. There are plenty of reasons why being able to eat hot food or have a hot drink is feasible and essential.

I get that, if you are on the move. I keep my GHB (get home bag) in my vehicle. So maybe I am broken down in a snowstorm and waiting for assistance, or stuck at work overnight (without electricity) and everything is shut down around me. I can heat water for the dehydrated foods I keep with me and have a nice hot meal, or just eat my almonds and jerky, etc. I have options. There are plenty of reasons why being able to eat hot food or have a hot drink is feasible and essential.

I'd say it more situations than not, having hot food and fire is both feasible and essential. Unless people plan on going all Frein, I'm likely to want to find people rather than not be found...

A New England-centric GHB (auto carried) should definately have warmth/fire related cooking and heating eqipment.

4 season regions are best suited by seasonal changes to your gear, food and training.

The chances of a snow storm-related personal disaster are very real. An Ebola-forced bugout on the other hand... once in a lifetime?

Deb's got it right.

Truck kit for snowstorm and my GHB are very different. On top of a blanket extra gloves, etc I keep a yankee candle in the truck with matches, because it is amazing how much heat one candle can throw

Back
Top Bottom