• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

House votes to let mentally ill buy guns

I have a friend that has been hauled away a couple times by the people in white jackets and butterfly nets. He agrees that nobody should allow him a gun. I have personally seen three people have psychotic episodes, all were taken away. It gives you a whole new outlook on this subject.

I have a friend that has been hauled away a couple times by the people in white jackets and butterfly nets. He agrees that nobody should allow him a gun. I have personally seen three people have psychotic episodes, all were taken away. It gives you a whole new outlook on this subject.

The only problem here is that the house vote has nothing to do with deranged or insane citizens.

The fact that someone has another designated to handle their financial affairs is absolutely no proof that a person is mentally ill!!! Yet the current edict throws all those people into that same bucket.

I had a neighbor (since deceased) who worked hard at the late GM plants around Boston for >40 years, Veteran and quite competent. But he told me that he never walked into a bank. When he was a bachelor his Brother took care of his banking for him. When he married (the widow across the street from me) in his 40s, she was a bookkeeper and took care of the finances. It was his choice and I don't think he had more than a high school education.

Take a look around us, most people are in debt up to their eyeballs, Skysoldier's thread on people not being able to do math is correct. Doesn't make them mentally ill! We have failed as a society in teaching students to deal with math, money and practical skills to live life without fear of the debt collector.

Looks like they changed their title to "House rolls back Obama gun background check rule"
And from their website:

"CLARIFICATION: The story and headline have been updated to more fully reflect the impact of the rule."

Looks like they changed their title to "House rolls back Obama gun background check rule"
And from their website:

"CLARIFICATION: The story and headline have been updated to more fully reflect the impact of the rule."

Yeah...they did a great job "clarifying" that ruling...[rolleyes]. Typical MSM.

Dems are in full TDS(Trump Derangement Syndrome) and CNN is leading the way w/more fake news. They've descended into the MSNBC mode

Can someone clarify this ruling? I'm trying to find a source other than NPR or huffingtonpost....

I had a liberal friend (who wants to get a gun because Trump is president and thinks the world is going to end) who just posted this on Facebook:

To be clear: Republicans will allow those adjudicated in court as incompetent by reason of mental illness such as schizophrenia to purchase firearms. In other news, the Klan is off of the terror watch list.

Last edited:
Can someone clarify this ruling? I'm trying to find a source other than NPR or huffingtonpost....

I had a liberal friend (who wants to get a gun because Trump is president and thinks the world is going to end) who just posted this on Facebook:

To be clear: Republicans will allow those adjudicated in court as incompetent by reason of mental illness such as schizophrenia to purchase firearms. In other news, the Klan is off of the terror watch list.

Let him know that he should not be getting a gun. His own logic dictates that he should not be allowed to do so. Liberalism is a mental illness, after all.

The house action to reverse Obama's order simply allows those on the SS rolls that have someone that oversees their finances to once again legally own guns. BO's original order and this congressional pushback have NOTHING to do with mental illness. Len's response a bit earlier is an excellent example of the problem here. Well, there is one more "problem". You have a liberal friend who is utterly ignorant and spreading lies about this action. Those that have been PROPERLY adjudicated with a mental illness are still prohibited from ownership.

The house action to reverse Obama's order simply allows those on the SS rolls that have someone that oversees their finances to once again legally own guns. BO's original order and this congressional pushback have NOTHING to do with mental illness. Len's response a bit earlier is an excellent example of the problem here. Well, there is one more "problem". You have a liberal friend who is utterly ignorant and spreading lies about this action. Those that have been PROPERLY adjudicated with a mental illness are still prohibited from ownership.

Thanks. I just commented on his post and his response was "it is proof that they are mentally ill by definition. This legislation is insane"...

More fake news BS from CNN. The National Enquirer has more facts than these hacks at CNN.

CNN and WaPO are the primary perveyers of fake news. Don't watch them or give them any clicks at ALL!

Thanks. I just commented on his post and his response was "it is proof that they are mentally ill by definition. This legislation is insane"...

Seriously? How does asking someone else to handle your finances for you make you mentally ill? What's next? If someone does your taxes you're mentally ill? If you're over 65, you're automatically mentally ill for living so long, because everyone knows old people are demented and deranged? Jesus Christ!

The legislation is just ensuring that the elderly retain their civil rights, nothing more and nothing less. Being adjudicated mentally unstable still a prohibited person makes.

It never had anything to do with mentally ill. My elderly father got caught in the VA version of this Obama trap when it first started. Since my mother always ran the household finances (Dad never had any interest), the VA encouraged him to sign a paper giving mom full control thereby adding a few dollars to his VA pension... never telling him that he would lose his LTC and, therefore, his ability to buy or own a gun in MA. [thinking]

Long story short, we fought it and we eventually won his rights back... but it was a hellish scare and experience that he never deserved. [angry]

The "mentally ill buying guns" mantra is a boogyman used by the left to restrict peoples rights. The left wants ban people who seek voluntary mental health services from owning firearms for things like anxiety, depression, ADHD..ect without due process.

The problem is the definition of mentally ill.

The SS definition was "anyone who appoints someone to manage their finances is mentally ill and a PP". The problem is many people, particularly the elderly, appoint a trusted family member (often an offspring) to manage their finances and deal with the Social Security Administration. Many do this for convenience absent any mental illness.

Funny thing - people applying for disability often hire a disability law firm to handle the application process for them - not because they are incapable, but because of the complexity of arguing the case. But, that is OK, because hiring an attorney for assistance is an accepted practice in everyday life.

Of course, we can have numerous Muslim terrorists and is it not evidence Muslims pose a danger. But, if one person with a SS representative shoots someone who does not need killing, we can be assured it will be offered as proof that all such people with representatives are a danger.

The real message is this: If you are gun owner, never appoint a representative before a federal agency except an attorney (and then do not designate the person your "representative" but have him/her appear as your legal counsel), and do not seek help if you are exhibiting signs of a mental illness.

Last edited:
VA encouraged him to sign a paper giving mom full control thereby adding a few dollars to his VA pension...
How did appointing a representative payee add a few dollars to his pension?

Can you describe the process by which you fought and won?

How did appointing a representative payee add a few dollars to his pension?

Can you describe the process by which you fought and won?
I'd post more details but it would only confuse rather than help. The extra money was intended to compensate the assigned representative (in this case, my mother) for time spent managing my father's finances. Regardless of how it was intended to work, the VA simply held it out as a bit more pension money for merely signing a piece of paper. The surprise ugly part came later. [thinking]

Last edited:

You need to choose your friends more carefully. With friends like this who, well you know the rest.

The problem is the definition of mentally ill.

The SS definition was "anyone who appoints someone to manage their finances is mentally ill and a PP". The problem is many people, particularly the elderly, appoint a trusted family member (often an offspring) to manage their finances and deal with the Social Security Administration. Many do this for convenience absent any mental illness.

Exactly this. Many elderly are targeted by scammers and con artists. Having someone oversee their finances does not mean they are mentally ill or dangerous. In fact, knowing when they need help and seeking it, indicates to me that the person is responsible.

Back
Top Bottom