Hornady vs Speer SD rounds - changing carry round

I have been reading some about 9mm self defense ammunition and am trying decide on a carry round in my 3.5" barrel P99c AS. I am comfortable carrying 9mm but want to maximize effectiveness. I have been carry the Hornady Critical defense 115gr. It feeds reliably etc. Based on what I have read it makes sense to at least start carrying a 124gr round.

Just looking at manufacturers numbers and what has been written Speer 124gr looks like a good candidate. The decision to make there is standard load or +P. Again, if one goes by manufacturers numbers +P would be the logical choice.

Given that the P99c has a 3.5 inch barrel and Speer and Hornady use 4 inch test barrels I would expect some losses in muzzle velocity and energy. Assuming that the losses are proportional across the board Speer 124gr +P again seems to be the best choice - as long as they feed reliably.

Hornady
9mm Luger 115 gr FTX® Critical Defense® 1140fps332ft-lbs
9mm Luger 124 gr XTP® 1010306
9mm Luger 124 HP XTP® TAP® FPD™ 1110369
9MM 135 gr FlexLock® Critical DUTY® 1110339
9MM +P 135 gr FlexLock® Critical DUTY®1110339
http://www.hornady.com/store/9mm-Luger/

Speer
9mm Gold Dot 115 gr Personal Protection1210fps374ft-lbs
9mm Gold Dot 124 gr Personal Protection 1150364
9mm +P Gold Dot 124 gr Personal Protection 1220410
http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/ammo.aspx

I have a couple boxes of Speer 124gr on the way, and want to shoot them side by side with some 124gr +P to see what the difference in recoil/muzzle control is. Assuming that they both feed reliably, muzzle control and getting on target will probably be the deciding factor.

Any thoughts, recommendations or other considerations?

Thanks.

They're a little louder and may flash a little more out of a short barrel but aside from that I don't notice a hell of a lot of difference recoil wise between the +p and std 9mm in 124gr.

Speer Gold Dot bullets feed great in everything I've tried them in. They make (and I carry) a 124 grain +P+ designed specifically for short barrels. I posted a thread in the ammo section somewhere where I chrono'ed them out of a 3" PM9. Velocities were excellent and I've never had one mis-feed on me.

I like the Federal HST (the real ones, not that 20 round civilian pack bullshit) for my full size guns in larger calibers, but my pocket / backup guns get Gold Dot Short Barrel.

Speer Gold Dot bullets feed great in everything I've tried them in. They make (and I carry) a 124 grain +P+ designed specifically for short barrels. I posted a thread in the ammo section somewhere where I chrono'ed them out of a 3" PM9. Velocities were excellent and I've never had one mis-feed on me.

I like the Federal HST (the real ones, not that 20 round civilian pack bullshit) for my full size guns in larger calibers, but my pocket / backup guns get Gold Dot Short Barrel.

I saw the Speer short barrel ammo on the Speer website.

Speer calls the short barrel bullet a GDHP-SB bullet vs GDHP in the "long barrel" version.

So those are a +P+ load? The website says +P. The +P short barrel version but muzzle velocity (1150fps) and energy (364ft-lb) are the same as the regular 124gr ammo.

But I thought by short barrel they meant like 2" snubby. Maybe up to 3". My P99c is 3.5" and I have a full size P99 AS with a 4" barrel that I can use the 124gr +P rounds in as well.

Grabbing a couple boxes of Federal HST 124gr 9mm to test along side the Speer rounds as well. I'll say this much - the Federal is LOT cheaper than the Speer.
Muzzle v: 1150fps
Muzzle KE: 345ft-lb

http://www.federalpremium.com/default.aspx

Thanks.

Last edited:
+p is a pressure designation, not a velocity designation. The Gold Dot is an excellent round, I carry it and the Barnes SCHP in 9mm. I believe the short barrel loads have a tweaked bullet design as well as different powders.

+p is a pressure designation, not a velocity designation. The Gold Dot is an excellent round, I carry it and the Barnes SCHP in 9mm. I believe the short barrel loads have a tweaked bullet design as well as different powders.

Got it on the pressure. But what is considered a "short barrel". I am thinking 3" or less. Or do manufacturers consider anything less than 4" short?

agile_1 said:
I saw the Speer short barrel ammo on the Speer website.

Speer calls the short barrel bullet a GDHP-SB bullet vs GDHP in the "long barrel" version.

So those are a +P+ load? The website says +P. The +P short barrel version but muzzle velocity (1150fps) and energy (364ft-lb) are the same as the regular 124gr ammo.

But I thought by short barrel they meant like 2" snubby. Maybe up to 3". My P99c is 3.5" and I have a full size P99 AS with a 4" barrel that I can use the 124gr +P rounds in as well.

Grabbing a couple boxes of Federal HST 124gr 9mm to test along side the Speer rounds as well. I'll say this much - the Federal is LOT cheaper than the Speer.
Muzzle v: 1150fps
Muzzle KE: 345ft-lb

http://www.federalpremium.com/default.aspx

Thanks.

A 2" snubby 9mm? Never seen one... The shortest I've seen is 3". I'd say any 9mm shorter than 4" is "short." Anyway, I was getting close to published velocities out of my PM9. (I don't remember the exact details but the thread is still around here somewhere.)

They look very similar to the regular Gold Dots. The hollow point cavity looks a little deeper and wider, and of course they load them pretty hot which does typically mean faster velocities compared to standard loadings (all other things being equal.)

They probably are just +P if that's what the website says. I haven't looked at the box in a while.

Regardless of whether or not the Hornady is any good I usually refuse to buy it because it does not come in 50 round boxes.... Speer GDHP does.

-Mike

One advantage to shooting speer is you can shoot speer lawman for practice which is cheaper and supposedly has the same ballistics as gold dot. I like Speer because it's pretty available and that's important to me for SD guns because you need to be able to shoot enough of the stuff to know what it shoots like.

A 2" snubby 9mm? Never seen one... The shortest I've seen is 3". I'd say any 9mm shorter than 4" is "short."

True about the snubbies. Speer does make a 38 special +P gold dot short barrel round.

Lots of sub 4" 9mm's around. The Nano is 3.07". The Px4 sub compact is 3". Looks like the PM9 is 3.1". The G26 is 3.4" The list goes on.

Thanks for the info. Still looking for your thread....

Think this is it -
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/149560-Speer-Gold-Dot-Short-Barrel-P

The Speer 9mm +P I ordered finally showed up on my door step today. BUT - and this had me going for a while - the box says 9mm Luger +P 124gr GDHP Short Barrel Hollow Point. Nowhere on the Speer website (that I can see) do they advertise a 9mm short barrel round. .380 yes - 9mm? - can't find it.

Looking at the case stamp it clearly says +P so I am left to think that these are regular +P rounds. But this is what it says on the box (copied manually) -

Gold Dot® Short Barrel Personal Protection ammunition delivers all the great attributes of Gold Dot Personal Protection ammunition, but goes a step further to maximize optimum expansion in handguns with 2 inch barrels.
I don't know of ANY 9mm pistols with 2 inch barrels. Not that there aren't any, but I don't recall ever seeing one.

Aside from the short barrel marketing on the box, this looks to be Speers standard 9mm +P personal protection ammunition. But it's the first time I have bought Speer GD and the short barrel designation had me going.

Jasons - is this the 9mm ammo you are talking about - the stuff in the box labeled for short barrels?

Last edited:
Jasons - is this the 9mm ammo you are talking about - the stuff in the box labeled for short barrels?

That's the stuff that I use in my PM9. I also use the .38 Special version in my j-frame.

Back
Top Bottom