• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hornady One Shot- Case Lube vs Dry Lube!

Oh my. I first bought a can of One Shot to lube my 223 cases for resizing. It didn work very well at all (stuck cases in die) so I switched to Dillon Case Lube and all was good. Well someone on another forum mentioned using One Shot CASE LUBE on all pistol cases for reloading as it smooths things up quite nicely.

So tonight I figured I'd use up that One Shot (not as sticky as Dillon Case Lube) on some 9mm cases... but I just noticed I was using One Shot Dry Lube NOT Case Lube!!!! No wonder I got all the stuck cases with .223!!!! What an idiot I am. The question now is will the Dry Lube cause any issues on my loaded 9mm??? I just sprayed a tad on the cases. I did about 200 rounds this way... it was smoother. [rolleyes]

The .30 Carbines would load without lube, but hard. All I had was One-Shot Dry Lube so I tried it out and it worked. It's a lot less messy than case lube and you don't have to tumble it off, so I use it on that one caliber. I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax on all my bottlenecked rifle cases (and no lube on pistol cases - even .460 and .500).

The .30 Carbines would load without lube, but hard. All I had was One-Shot Dry Lube so I tried it out and it worked. It's a lot less messy than case lube and you don't have to tumble it off, so I use it on that one caliber. I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax on all my bottlenecked rifle cases (and no lube on pistol cases - even .460 and .500).

Awesome- thanks! Yeah- it seemed like a little went a long way.

I use one shot (and a carbide sizing die) for loading .223 and haven't had any problem with it. They get a little sticky, but I've never had one get comletely stuck.

I use one shot (and a carbide sizing die) for loading .223 and haven't had any problem with it. They get a little sticky, but I've never had one get comletely stuck.

Keep using it, it's only a matter of time before you stick a case.
My advice (no charge), quit using One Shot while your're ahead and get some real case lube for your rifle cases.

I think the trick to One Shot is to start with a clean die, then shake the can and give the die a good squirt. When I do that it seems to work ok. If I start with a dirty die (from one shot) it wont work all that well and heaven forbid I run a case lubed with One Shot into a die that I last used with Imperial SDW. Only time I ever stuck a case was when I did that.

FWIW,

B

Go to home depot, buy a big ol bottle of wire pulling (wax based) lube. It works great for a fraction of the price of "real" case lube.

Back
Top Bottom