• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hornady Critical Defense 9mm review **UPDATED**

I finally found some of this ammo at First Defense today. I've been interested in trying it out since I heard about it several months ago. Last month's Rifleman's report on it just made me want to try it even more.

Supposedly it's designed for short barreled guns - lower recoil, less flash and faster burn - plus it uses the FTX bullet which I've read really good things about

So, it's a JHP with a plastic plug in the hole which is supposed to aid in penetration and expansion. There's a cannalure at the crimp which SHOULD help reduce setback or at least make it obvious if the bullet IS setting back. The other thing is the bullet is more 'pointed' then the usual JHP (HST or Gold Dot) which may reduce the incidence of set back anyway.

Bullet weight is 115 grains which is a little light, but with a short barrel you're not going to be accelerating a heavy bullet to the point where you're going to get reliable expansion anyway. Based on what I've read, the lighter weight bullet performs as well/better then the 124 and 147 weights in some of the other brands out of a short barrel (I shoot a P239)

Took it to the range. Shot 1 box of 25. No issues at all feeding (was a little worried based on the rather radical shape). I was shooting indoors today & it did seem that there was much less flash. The business end of my pistol was a lot cleaner then usual as well (not much carbon at the muzzle - I've a 2 tone so the stainless really shows the grit) and the round was supremely controlable. Accuracy was about as well as I've shot. No flyers in 25 rounds and the only ones off the black were my fault.

They're pricey - 29.99 for 25 - but so are any quality JHP. Low flash, very cotrolable in a light weight gun, the 'experts' like the performance of the bullet - looks like another nice alternative in 9mm.

Last edited:
Bob,

Thanks for the review. I've been looking at the 9mm Critical Defense also after reading the American Rifleman review. It seems to expand well under many different conditions, where other jacketed hollow points are affected by the number of layers of clothing that must first be penetrated.

I have been procrastinating on selecting a good personal defense round for my 9mm, but your positive report has got me off of the proverbial dime. [wink]

A photo of the round in 9mm thanks to 6Hold!

attachment.php

One thing to note, in person, the bullet looks more conical then it does here - it almost looks like a little Apollo space ship.

Attachments

• jghg111.gif
    jghg111.gif
    98.6 KB · Views: 784
Last edited:
Bob,

Thanks for the review. I've been looking at the 9mm Critical Defense also after reading the American Rifleman review. It seems to expand well under many different conditions, where other jacketed hollow points are affected by the number of layers of clothing that must first be penetrated.

I have been procrastinating on selecting a good personal defense round for my 9mm, but your positive report has got me off of the proverbial dime. [wink]

Take a ride out to First Defense. Denis had at least 3 more boxes when I bought mine on Saturday. I would have bought more but I wanted to try it first [laugh]

Experienced a dud round last night. No issue with light strikes, visable dimple from firing pin. NOT happy about that. FYI & YMMV

Last edited:
I've tried these rounds out, and I'll agree with Bob on his points. The one thing that stood out to me was how much cleaner of a round it was. I also found it feeds well. I had some problems with speer gold dot before. This stuff seems to work just fine. I'm pretty pleased with the round. It shoots about the same as a hyrashock for me, but I can admit I still have a lot of work to do on my shooting technique.

I've picked up a few boxes at Bass Pro. I didn't know First defense had them. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them next time I'm in the shop.

The dud really bothered me last night. I put the hydrashoks back in the mags after that. I LIKE the round a lot but I'm going to have to shoot a whole lot more w/o failure before I'm going to trust it.

Bob - great info - especially since I sell this ammunition at DSG. I would call Hornady - they have, (or at least had) great customer service. I had a dud .450 Marlin round several years ago and they comped me an entire box...

Didn't even think of doing that, Thanks! I will! Great advice.

They were super nice....This was a while back and the customer service landscape has changed, but perhaps theirs has not. When I called, the person I spoke with seemed very concerned - especially at $50.00 a box. They sent me a mailer and a week later, I got a coupon for a full box...

They were super nice....This was a while back and the customer service landscape has changed, but perhaps theirs has not. When I called, the person I spoke with seemed very concerned - especially at $50.00 a box. They sent me a mailer and a week later, I got a coupon for a full box...

Ah. Didn't save the round - put it in the range's dud box (I don't reload).

I'm going to call them anyway and find out if this is a known issue or a fluke.

I wish Hornady would get off the dime on heavy for caliber bullets for this ammo.

115 grain 9x19 and 110 grain .38 Special will not do for me. Now, if they load 147 grain 9x19 and 158 grain .38 Special +P then we'll talk.

I didn't as I haddn't saved the dud - left it in the dud can at my range.

I've since shot 2 more boxes and haven't had a problem so I'm considering it a fluke. I'm currently loaded with them.

i have my SR9 loaded with 17+1 Critical Defense ammo, i like it alot its alot more accurate then my Hydra-shoks and GD. i shot at water jugs 2 weeks ago with them and boy did they blow the water jugs up, i got soaked at 7 yards with the CD worst then i did the GD or hydrashoks!

I have been carrying the critical defense 9mm rounds in my Kahr cw9 for quite a few months now. No malfunctioning of any kind. I'm very happy with it. Get little setback after several chamberings as well.

So about a year since my original review. I've fired approx. 300 rounds of this stuff through my P239 and haven't had any issues since the one a year ago. It's my carry round of choice for that gun. The only issue I have at this point is FINDING them. I do use a heavier bullet out of my P226. Usually a federal 124 grain JHP

I've had a lot of good luck with this round in .380acp. Solid results, never a failure, easily controlled, consistent. Soon they are releasing .44SPL for 2011.

They also use the same flex-tip in the .45-70 govt 325gr, but that's tricky for CCW.

I have nothing but problems getting the Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain 9 mm to feed in my Walther PPS.

The second and further rounds jam upon trying to be fed into the barrel. It seems the 'rubber tip' is holding the round against the feed ramp.

I sent the PPS back to S&W, they said they polished a burr and replaced a part, but upon return to me the next box of Hornady Critical Defense 9 mm did the same thing. In the returned the pistol to me, S&W sent me a flap from a box of American Eagle 115 grain 9 mm FMJ, perhaps that was their hint that the gun may not like the Hornady Critical Defense 9 mm 115 grain rounds? ;)

Unless others are having no problems with this round in the PPS, I would recommend not trying to use this round at all as it could be a waste of your money.

Does anyone else have any experience with the Hornady Critical defense rounds in a Walther PPS in 9 mm? I have a few boxes of it and would prefer to use it.

Federal Hydra-Shok in 147 grain 9mm feeds fine as does standard 115 grain 9 mm rounds.

Last edited:
I recently contacted Hornady about the issues with their Hornady Critical Defense not functioning in the Walther PPS.

They confirmed my finding saying that they have had good luck in every pistol they have tried, except they have had reports of it not working in the Walther PPS.

So if you have a Walther PPS, save your money and don't purchase any Hornady Critical Defense for use with it.

just picked up some winchester ranger 147 grain SXT and some federal HST 124 +p.. cant wait to try them at the range

Back
Top Bottom