Horizontal vs. Vertical shoulder holsters

Which do you prefer and why?

Contemplating a purchase and am undecided on which to go for...I'll go try several models of each to see what works for me, but I'm curious as to what my fellow NES forum users think.

Get yourself a good in the waist band from Mitch Rosen. Shoulder rigs are not practical at all unless your Sonny Crockett. The Experts will agree.

Yeah, I actually carry with an in the waistband holster currently. My only gripe is it's a pain in the ass when I'm driving.

Okay, here's my issue with IWB and OWB holsters: waist band holsters pull one side of my pants/shorts down. What I want is something that hangs from the shoulders, but puts the actual hoster at my waist level, and with a forward cant for strong side. Oh, and I shoot lefty. Any suggestions? [wave]

Kyle

I've tried both.

I found the vertical carry version causes the butt to dig into my ribs when driving or seated.
Horizontal carry was much more comfortable.

'Scuse me, I have to go feed my alligator now... [wink]

For many years, I carried a J frame in the old style Bianchi upside down shoulder rig under my shirt as a BUG. It was the most comfortable carry I ever had for that application.

I wish I could find one now [sad]

Next best thing would be horizontal carry properly adjusted for the use I had.

As for the statement IWB is better, Not for every application [wink]

I have a shoulder holster for my PPK/S and one for my model 657 4 inch.I liked them at first and wore them for quite a while. But I got tried of them flapping around.

So I went back to a trick my Grandfather, an old Boston police sargent, taught me. I just put on an extra belt, about 4 inches above my regular belt, using a slide holster with a retention strap.

You have to thread the belt around the holster, so it won't tilt out and that way it will stay close against your body and won't move..

It makes the gun virtualy invisable under a loose fitting untucked shirt.

Last edited:
Okay, here's my issue with IWB and OWB holsters: waist band holsters pull one side of my pants/shorts down. What I want is something that hangs from the shoulders, but puts the actual hoster at my waist level, and with a forward cant for strong side. Oh, and I shoot lefty. Any suggestions? [wave]

Kyle

suspenders.

Back
Top Bottom