Home Made Ballistics Gel **UPDATED FINALLY!** in 1st post!

**Update Below!**

I've always wanted to do my own quasi-scientific ballistic tests, and I have been somewhat curious about the real(ish) life properties of some of the ammunition that I have been carrying. So tonight, I got together the necessary ingredients, and cooked up some home made ballistic gel! Through a few sources around the internets I knew that Knox unflavored gelatin is a pretty good substitute for the real, and expensive, actual science type gel. for about $30 I got 24 1oz boxes (all the store had, sorry if anyone had any last minute confectionary plans [rolleyes]), which ended up to be more than enough to fill a plastic bread container. The bread container seemed to be pretty good dimensions for this sort of application. It's a pretty easy process. I mixed 1 cup of water per 1oz of gel powder. Each box was an ounce. At this point the gel is gritty and mushy. Its pretty thick, not watery. Mixing in the tub:

4100141222_75d99a540a.jpg

And done mixing:

4099385579_3ca6b5c584.jpg

After mixing, I put the gel in the fridge for two hours to "bloom." After that its still gritty, but more solid. The gel has had time to absorb all the water (i think.) Now, I set the pot-o-gel on the stove and let it sit over low-medium heat. It took about an hour to melt into a liquid. Melty gel:

4100141532_2d02e1f6d2.jpg

After the gel was fully melted, I poured it into my bread container, which was lubed with with cooking spray to make sure it will be easy to remove. I set the container in the fridge where it will set until saturday afternoon. Then, I'll take it to the range and put some holes in it! Setting:

4100141882_07e6722205.jpg
+rep for first one to identify the product to the left! Here's all the boxes of gelatine

4099385513_555c9c7d08.jpg
All the packets emptied:

4099385647_684bf44121.jpg
To the range I will be taking some 180 gr. .40 Winchester PDX1, mostly because its what I have around, and also because some people have been asking about it.

Check back sometime this weekend for a range report and possibly somewhat useful results! references:

http://www.myscienceproject.org/gelatin.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae3vSmKTpz8

**Update**

So its been a while since I first posted this, but I finally got a chance to get out to the range (I was waiting for a time when my buddy and I could both go). Well, the tl;dr version is: Shot it twice, caught one bullet, it worked great! I wasn't able to get the gel out of the container, probably because of a vacuum, or because it had been in the mold for so long. The first shot was top right corner, and solved that problem! Do note, the bullet never impacted the mold at all as far as I can tell. The breakage I believe is just from the cold weather and shockwave!

As questions about the material came up earlier, I can report that the gel is very dense, more so than your typical gelatin dessert. I believe this recipe used about half as much water as the package called for in food usage. It held together well, and I could pick it up without breaking, and It withstood a finger poke with a decent amount of force without breaking.

4180069026_6e811066bf.jpg
4180069440_a6279ba0f1.jpg

Hitting near the edge actually seemed to work out well, you can see the pattern left behind. Here you get a pretty good look at the spin.

And, for the "pics or it didn't happen" crowd, the captured bullet:

4180069306_9ddfe8e25e.jpg

Side view of the expansion zone

4179302887_5348b0f706.jpg

Heres a nice closeup of one of the "in" holes (after my buddy knocked it on the ground)

4179302781_cc1b37f6c5.jpg

And some before and after of the ammo.

4180064792_eaac2f74ac.jpg
4179277117_c27152616d.jpg

So it only took a month to the day -1 to get the gel to the range, but I would say this mission was a success [smile]

Last edited:
Sweeeeeet. Definitely would love to see the results. Maybe you could compare against "actual" ballistics gel?

And I'm sorry, but I have to ask, where the hell did you find Pibb in Mass!?!?

That is awesome PUNX. Maybe I will brew up some of this mix too and compare my assortment of ammo. I look forward to your results.

Subscribed. I can't wait to see how it works. I can only assume you're going to have to set it up and shoot it the long way so the bullets actually stay in the gel?

sorry to burst all your bubbles, but the Pibb is imported. My buddy picked it up in MD or VA, cant remember.
[crying]

and i dont know about video, even though i have ready access to equipment. kinda leery bringing work stuff to the range. i can at least offer better than phone photos though, assuming i remember to bring my dslr...

Last edited:
That is awesome PUNX. Maybe I will brew up some of this mix too and compare my assortment of ammo. I look forward to your results.

Something tells me that I'd better pick up some gelatin before it's cleaned out.

I can see the headline now:

"Stop & Shop, New England's largest grocery store chain is at a loss to explain the sudden and mysterious run on gelatin."

Does this seem to have the consistency of Jello or the consistancy of actual ballistics gel?

I wouldnt think that anyone would eat anything with the consistancy of actual ballistics gel.

There are places to purchase actual balistic gel and if I remember correctly it was not that expensive and was able to be re-used.

Does this seem to have the consistency of Jello or the consistancy of actual ballistics gel?

I wouldnt think that anyone would eat anything with the consistancy of actual ballistics gel.

I never saw actual ballistics gel. What she makes is like a rubbery(?) consistancy. Firm to the touch. You can play catch with it and it's great for 'food fights' !

It is really good!

Nice report. I love this science stuff, and it's really gratifying to see that the bullet peels back just like the advertisements (which I don't often believe).
+reps.

Great stuff!

Since the gel captured the round, any chance you could post how deep it penetrated?

Great stuff!

Since the gel captured the round, any chance you could post how deep it penetrated?

off the top of my head i'd say the gel was 12-14" long, and it made it within and inch or so of the end. The first round exited the back somewhere.

This is where i think the science may become dubious, however, since this is pretty similar to real ballistic gel, but not sure how close it really is.

Back
Top Bottom