Holbrook Sportsmen's Club

I went today to the show. It was my first show as well. I was not really that impressed with the selection. There were a couple decent buys (the gf was with me so I would have got the evil eye had I bought anything). I was eyeing a Norinco MAK90 for $325, oh well. But I wasn't impressed with the prices. Considering you have to pay to get in and there were all the different proprietors you would think there would be a little more price competition. I would like to go to a bigger better show sometime and I hope I don't get disappointed like I was today.

Today, I decided I hate gun shows! I went to Holbrook, other than getting a little ammo from M&M, it was just a waste of time.

I was standing at a booth with my son, he was looking at pocket knives. At the next booth over the seller is training his new part time help, I am overhearing his conversation, he tells him:

"Look, I take all the prices from the shop, I mark them up 10%, that way at the show you can give the guy 10% off and we still get what we want."

Nice strategy, I won't be visiting your shop anytime soon, and that explains why I look at your stuff and keep on walking.

At another table, I see a brand new AR15 upper in 50 Beauwolf (sp?), I'm checking it out, I start a conversation with the seller's assistant, we are talking about different caliber options for AR uppers. I tell him I want an upper for the FN 5.7 round, he tells me: "Not in Massachusetts, they will never approve that"

I should have kept my mouth shut and walked away. I told him no approval was needed, and besides, it's only an upper, you don't even need a permit to buy one. He then informs me that he will not sell an upper to ANYONE with out a permit, because thats the law.

That's it ............ if I ever walk into another show, I'm plugging into the iPod and keeping my mouth shut.

i seriously hope that there are better gun shows that happen in Mass. I mean this was pretty bad. I felt like I was at a yard sale in downtown Brockton. In fact a yard sale in downtown Brockton would probably have a better selection. I think that some people need to learn to take baths as well. My girlfriend even commented on the odor put off there. I was looking around to see if anyone had any decent Mossberg pistol grip shotguns like the Cruiser Tactical or something and the only thing there was some used Remmington or something. Friggin ridiculous.......

Well, it was my first gun show, so I thought it was great. I'm just glad that gun shows exist. Met some real decent folks. Thanks Holbrook!

And the wife didn't faint at the sight of all those guns, so we're making some progress. :)

I never looked at the Holbrook show as a being a real gun show. It's small and usually the same dealers with the same stuff but you can sometimes find something. I don't usually go to shows to buy but to look around at the stuff and people watch. It's a nice diversion from everyday stuff.

I never looked at the Holbrook show as a being a real gun show. It's small and usually the same dealers with the same stuff but you can sometimes find something. I don't usually go to shows to buy but to look around at the stuff and people watch. It's a nice diversion from everyday stuff.

What you said. The first time I went I ended up buying a very nice S&W Model 10 for $200.00 including tax. Every time I go, I hope to repeat that score. This time there was a Model 18 that looked very nice, but I thought the price was a bit high. I never had a chance to haggle with the guy, so I don't know if I could have got him down a bit or not.

Other than that, most of the stuff was typically over priced. A guy tried to sell me a poor condition SMLE No1 MkIII Ishapore rifle for about $250.00 (I think). The Ishapore screw had been replaced with what looked like a 1/4-20 bolt, the wood was beat up, and it had very little finish left. I mentioned that I didn't like Ishapore rifles that much and he gave me a song and dance about the .308 Ishapore rifles being better than the .303 British ones. Which might be the truth, but several hundred thousand dead Germans, Japanese, and other enemies of the British Empire found the .303 more than adequate. I was almost going to say that, but I just smiled and walked away. :)

Gary

i went to the show it was better then some shows ive gone to. i was checking out the safe too what did anyone make of that safe? im running out of space in mine time for a new one soon.

Back
Top Bottom