Hogue Universal Powerspeed Holster for CCW?

Anyone have any experience with this holster?

I wont be doing any competitive shooting with this holster and was mainly considering using it for CCW.

I generally carry IWB and have a set of holsters already for that. But sometimes I like the comfort of a belt mounted rig when carrying med/full size.

Instead of buying a whole new bunch of holsters for every gun, I thought maybe this would do the trick? i would adjust the holster to fit whatever I was carrying instead.

Any and all comments appreciated. Pictures are a plus!

I don't have any experience with this holster. However, based upon looking at the pictures, I would absolutely NOT recommend this holster for CCW.
It is designed as a competition holster to allow for a very quick draw. The gun has very little support inside it. Just imagine running or even jumping down a stair case - the gun could come flying out of the holster.
I know it sucks and expensive to buy a quality holster for every gun, but think about it - the guns on average go from $400 to over a thousand. Why would you trust one to a holster that is not a. designed for the gun and b. is of poor quality (not necessary the hogue holster)?

Andrew.

Just imagine running or even jumping down a stair case - the gun could come flying out of the holster.
Andrew.

Very good point. Probably wouldnt work too well when sitting either. I can imagine it popping out from hitting against the seat or seat belt.

Very good point. Probably wouldn't work too well when sitting either. I can imagine it popping out from hitting against the seat or seat belt.

This is a Competition only holster and is actually a "Firearm Retention Device" Not a holster. It is designed and marketed for Action shooting and no claims are made that it is for CCW.

It will retain a firearm and hold it secure per the requirements of the Action Pistol Sports rules. No more, No less.

Here is the web site http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/powerspeed.html

This is a Competition only holster and is actually a "Firearm Retention Device" Not a holster. It is designed and marketed for Action shooting and no claims are made that it is for CCW.

It will retain a firearm and hold it secure per the requirements of the Action Pistol Sports rules. No more, No less.

Here is the web site http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/powerspeed.html

In the description, this is whats stated on that link, first sentence:

"The PowerSpeed holster is designed for competition, duty and concealed carry use." [thinking]

I thought if it was represented as sturdy enough for "duty" use it'd be good enough for everyday CCW for regular folks. I guess that statement is misleading from opinions I'm reading...

I have to agree with the previous posters. The failure modes for race type holsters can be pretty drastic and sudden. The gun just plops out without warning when the part that retains the gun (usually around the trigger guard) cracks. I have only been shooting IPSC for a year and I have seen two race type holsters fail. It's fine for action shooting because the gun is kept unloaded most of the time and you rarely move around with the gun loaded in the holster.

A leather holster will show wear long before it gives up the ghost so you have plenty of warning. Kydex might let go suddenly, but I haven't seen it and hopefully you can see it coming.

Even among race holsters, the Hogue is not recommended for everything. There are better ones. A good race holster locks the gun with a lever or screw until you're at the line.

Last edited:
I used the Higue holster for my 1st year in USPSA. It is not a bad holster. but it has little adjustment and when the holster in unlocked, the gun is only held in by magnets. it can easily can be bumped out. When the holster is locked, it will hold the gun secure, but the lock goes in the wrong direction, so it can be easily locked when you draw, and is difficult to unlock during a draw. I ended up cutting one of the locking tabs off.

I would not use it for CCW.

Back
Top Bottom