HK reintroduces the SL8

I like most things HK but this feels like a MEH to me, at least it has the rail and is black now which makes it look WAY more tactical and extra killy than before.

Got to handle one at my local FFL this weekend and was not impressed. The first thing that stood out was how front heavy it was. The grip angle was also really unnatural and felt awkward. Then the final nail in the coffin was the fact that it takes a single stack 10rnd mag. If it came out of the box accepting AR mags then it might be okay, but it doesn't so oh well, it's a hard pass. I decided to go home with a 1301 tactical instead.

Single stack…. Could have easily been a dual stack but HK said what they always say to civilians….”GFY”.

Single stack…. Could have easily been a dual stack but HK said what they always say to civilians….”GFY”.
They probably lazed and didn't make it here. They do not care because they know that people will pay the money for half assed shit because it says HK on it. They could sell horrible ADA compliant toilets that sit 14in off the floor branded HK with an SEF lever on the tank and theyd sell 1000 of them instantly. Even if it was the worst toilet in the world that had like .3 gallons per flush it wouldn't matter. Then some guy would charge you three grand to upgrade it to 1.6 gpf and almost all of the thousand people would pay it....

HK, quit stalling and finish the P365 competitor.
View attachment 509777

View attachment 509778

Honestly, that's super boring. Looks like a Hellcat and a P365 had a retarded baby that felt backstraps on a micro 9 are more important than what made the other two special: capacity (if the single stack thing is true). All other things equal, and it really looks like HK took "equal" to heart in the design, I'd stick with my P365.

Because HK hates me and I have cash in my wallet that needs to be thrown at something, I'm considering picking up an SL-8 and doing some level of conversion to a G36. Parts seem to be an issue, with half the parts I'm looking for being out of stock, but I can be patient and throw money at the problem as things come up.

My question is for those who have an SL8 conversion (not the TB T36), to go double stack mags, does the bolthead need to be replaced with a G36? I've read in places that it does as well as having to remove the existing mag release for the TB magwell conversions. Any other parts/issues that need to be dealt with on the doublestack AR mag conversion?

Also looking at going the ACR lower-stock-grip adapter as I like the ACR stock infinitely better than the standard G36 and most AR stock conversions look silly. Anyone have one? Does it fit well? Tolerances? Play? I've read that the some lower/adapters are too loose. I don't feel like spending thousands to find a chopped receiver and weld and this is the simplest conversion, but looking for feedback from those who have gone this route.

How's the stock trigger? I plan on swapping a flat metal trigger to replace the curved polymer one, but not swapping the lower to an AR trigger lower as then I have to do more on the receiver conversion. Unless the SL8 trigger is so bad that I can't stand it. Keep in mind all my AR's have Geissele's, as well as my Tavor, so the bar is high.

Last, recommendation on the SL8 barrel. I know it's a bull barrel, so weight distribution will be problematic, but the upside is it should be a relatively accurate barrel. Plan was to chop it to 16" or 18" and thread it while adding a Surefire warcomp. Other option is to replace with a G36 pencil barrel. Not sure I want to SBR this yet, hence keeping it to 16 or 18...

Thoughts? Ideas? Other than Tommybuilttactical and HKParts, anyone got a location to source parts?

Yes, I know I could just pick up an HK MR556, but I have a few AR's already and I'm looking for something a little different, hence the G36.

Last edited:
Because HK hates me and I have cash in my wallet that needs to be thrown at something, I'm considering picking up an SL-8 and doing some level of conversion to a G36E. Parts seem to be an issue, with half the parts I'm looking for being out of stock, but I can be patient and throw money at the problem as things come up.

My question is for those who have an SL8 conversion (not the TB T36), to go double stack mags, does the bolthead need to be replaced with a G36? I've read in places that it does as well as having to remove the existing mag release for the TB magwell conversions. Any other parts/issues that need to be dealt with on the doublestack AR mag conversion?

Also looking at going the ACR lower-stock-grip adapter as I like the ACR stock infinitely better than the standard G36 and most AR stock conversions look silly. Anyone have one? Does it fit well? Tolerances? Play? I've read that the some lower/adapters are too loose. I don't feel like spending thousands to find a chopped receiver and weld and this is the simplest conversion, but looking for feedback from those who have gone this route.

Last, recommendation on the SL8 barrel. I know it's a bull barrel, so weight distribution will be problematic, but the upside is it should be a relatively accurate barrel. Plan was to chop it to 16" or 18" and thread it while adding a Surefire warcomp. Other option is to replace with a G36 pencil barrel. Not sure I want to SBR this yet, hence keeping it to 16 or 18...

Thoughts? Ideas? Other than Tommybuilttactical and HKParts, anyone got a location to source parts?

Yes, I know I could just pick up an HK MR556, but I have a few AR's already and I'm looking for something a little different, hence the G36.

You can either replace the bolt head or you can send the bolt head that comes with it out to have the missing lug welded back on. Something like that. It supposedly works, and is cheaper than spending the 400(? More?) for a G36 bolt head. You can buy a double stack magwell for short money.

You can either replace the bolt head or you can send the bolt head that comes with it out to have the missing lug welded back on. Something like that. It supposedly works, and is cheaper than spending the 400(? More?) for a G36 bolt head. You can buy a double stack magwell for short money.
Does the bolt carrier work as is for the SL8 when you swap out the bolthead for a G36 to convert to doublestack?

It looks like used German bolt heads are going for $450 at Gatewood. They were going for as much as $600 within the past couple of years.

I think a guy named George Dechant is your best bet for the weld job, which is going to be much cheaper ($100 as of several years ago).

For those who are interested, Tommybuilttactical.com has the SL8 to ACR stock AR pistol grip lower conversions in stock and available today. They've been out of stock for months... I finally picked one up today. They've had the Magpul PRS stock adapter available for a while if you wanted to go for a more distance/precision build.

It looks like used German bolt heads are going for $450 at Gatewood. They were going for as much as $600 within the past couple of years.

I think a guy named George Dechant is your best bet for the weld job, which is going to be much cheaper ($100 as of several years ago).

Yeah, I'd rather go with a used or new G36 bolt head than weld the existing SL8 one. If I eventually sell it, I want to be able to convert things back to an SL8. Also, I'm leary of the longevity/strength of any weld modification to the bolt head. I'm sure it's safe, I'd rather go with something factory in that sense...

I'll probably try and go this route it it eventually is in stock again as it will also help with 922 compliance and it's only $280:

Last edited:
H&K got me twice, nope, not again. Good luck getting parts (hkparts.net hahaha), or finding a smith that will touch them. Sold my two H&K pistols on and never looked back.

Now a reissued P7, well maybe......

H&K got me twice, nope, not again. Good luck getting parts (hkparts.net hahaha), or finding a smith that will touch them. Sold my two H&K pistols on and never looked back.

I've got an HK45C that I'm enjoying. Looking at a few other HK handguns because I have the HK bug now. This will be my first HK rifle. I've been looking at them for years, so I understand the pain of parts availability and cost. Sometimes you have to touch the hot stove to learn not to touch hot things lol...

Last edited:

That's the beauty of them - you don't need a smith, they just run, and aside from springs and stuff like that they don't break. They also seem to hold their value pretty well. Even these SL8s were pulling in big $$ before HK reissued them.

It is cool but I’d rather not spend 1200-1600 bucks on a gun to only throw away 80% of it to make another gun that’s just a little too retarded.
Curious why you think the G36 is retarded. I get the cost issue in buying the SL8 and then the cost to convert, but the piston system in the G36 and SL8 is the same as the HK416/MR556. Once it's converted, it will take double stack mags, so... the rest seems to be aesthetics, and there seem to be enough options in the conversion to address some of these issues (high sight line/low top rail, stock LoP with adjustable stock, etc).

I know the Germans had some issues with the G36's in Afghanistan overheating, but that was under sustained automatic fire using pencil barrels and plastic hand guards. The SL8 comes with a bull barrel, I'll be replacing the forend with an aluminum railed forend from B&T, and obviously it won't be full auto.

Or did I not fully grok your statement in that you were saying it was retarded to buy a gun, throw away a bunch of that gun to make another gun while spending top dollar to do so? In which case, yes, it's stupid, but we already know HK hates us so...

My statement above regarding turning the SL8 into a G36 sort of reminds me of this:
"I'm the dude, playing a dude disguised as another dude"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu0Vucn7xww

Last edited:
People who have done the full conversion like their guns, but I think I've heard more than not voice regret over doing it. You can usually find a few for sale on the boards and on gunbroker. I have a NIB SL8 that I got years ago. At one point I had a plan to convert it but it's really expensive, and some of the parts have gotten tougher to get over the years. I did grab a german bolt head, magwell, and a couple of other parts just so that I could at least run normal mags in it (even if I never did fully convert it), but never even did that. It just didn't add up when the end result still isn't a true G36, it's a gun that's had the back end plastic welded on. For the all in price of a K conversion ($4k? $5k?) you can get some pretty awesome guns.

Back
Top Bottom