History of GUN Control email

Mike S

NES Member
I have received this email a couple of times and am wondering if any of you history buffs can verify the history info on this?

This is the email,

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
------------------------------
In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
---------------------------
China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated
Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
-------------
Uganda established gun control in 1970... From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
-----------------------------
Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:

* Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.
* Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.
* Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
* In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent
* Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!
* While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.
* There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY.
* Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort, and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns.
* The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.
* You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens. Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.
With guns, we are 'citizens'.

Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti-gun control message to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.
SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
SWITZERLAND 'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE!
SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!
IT'S A NO BRAINER! DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.

I can verify the Armenian/Turkish incident, I personally know people who lost relatives to it.

The Cambodia story has been told firsthand and documented, there is little if any doubt as to its authenticity. Remember "The Killing Fields"? The mass graves have been photographed, documented and dug up. The piles of skulls were enormous, many with a single bullet hole in the head.

The Guatemalan incident is also true, the death squads have been verified by many refugees including one who I know luckily escaped with his family.

The Nazi incident?.......c'mon, even in Germany its a crime to deny it.

Uganda........Remember Idi Amin? Here's his bio, check out page 2. I watched it in the news on a daily basis back when.

http://africanhistory.about.com/od/biography/a/bio_amin.htm

Soviet Union? Well documented: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gulag_Archipelago#Structure_and_factual_basis

China? Do you really doubt their actions? I don't, look how they treat Tibetans.

So yes, I'd say there is a whole lot more truth to the email than falsehood.

The historical events are pretty accurate. It would take some research to determine if gun control predated every single one. Many of the deaths in the time period mentioned for the Soviet Union occurred through starvation, particularly in the 1930's. Joe Stalin found that starvation was cheaper then bullets.

In most of those regimes, I wouldn't doubt that the populace was disarmed. Unarmed subjects are much easier to [STRIKE]control and kill[/STRIKE] debate and reason with. [wink]

BTW, if you want some graphic lessons in how NOT to run a country, or a country's economy, do a little research into Idi Amin (Uganda) and 'Papa Doc' Duvalier (Haiti). I can't believe any armed citizenry would let these two nut cases run anything more complicated than a spoon.

Two Joseph Stalin quotes that come to mind....

One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.

The only real power comes out of a long rifle.

Not to be a wet blanket, but while the elements of the statements may be factual (and indeed appear to be true), to imply a direct causal relationship borders on post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy - the very contempt we raise when the anti's tout the benefits of gun control. At best it's an oversimplification to argue that Hitler's gun controls resulted in the Haulocaust. Just sayin.

Not to be a wet blanket, but while the elements of the statements may be factual (and indeed appear to be true), to imply a direct causal relationship borders on post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy - the very contempt we raise when the anti's tout the benefits of gun control. At best it's an oversimplification to argue that Hitler's gun controls resulted in the Haulocaust. Just sayin.
The causality is the inability of people to protect themselves...

Also, the argument is not really that gun confiscation led to the holocaust so much as the mass killing of dissidents is invariably preceded by gun confiscation.

Since gun control invariably fails to achieve its stated purpose of making people safer, one has to examine the real motive...

This same logic was behind the inclusion of the 2nd Amendment... The threat of force can be as powerful as the force itself - particularly to the foot soldier "just doing his job" marching into homes to collect people en masse... The first time a squad of those guys take return fire, the process gets exponentially more difficult for the government to oppress large quantities of people...

Last edited:

I also am wary of post hoc ergo propter hoc ("after this, therefore because of this"), but I don't think anyone is saying "The Holocaust happened BECAUSE of gun control", I think it's a more nuanced argument that "Preceding all major genocides in the last century, a common component before the genocide can occur is to disarm the citizenry"

Now, that's not to imply that "If you disarm the citizenry, you're preparing for genocide". I'm pretty sure the government of Australia isn't preparing to wipe out millions at the moment. Though it would be great for a future rogue government in Australia to be able to crack down however they wanted given that the citizenry is now completely disarmed.

Now, that's not to imply that "If you disarm the citizenry, you're preparing for genocide". I'm pretty sure the government of Australia isn't preparing to wipe out millions at the moment. Though it would be great for a future rogue government in Australia to be able to crack down however they wanted given that the citizenry is now completely disarmed.
There is also the matter that people have this mistaken impression that from the day Hitler first won office the entire government was aware and in line with his plan...

They weren't... He took advantage of the bureaucratic process to do these things slowly and methodically... So slowly that many people had time to build hide-outs in their houses (Ever wonder about that? Do you have places to hide your children built into your house?)

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Even if the current dictator isn't killing people, the more power you give him, the less trouble the next guy has going one step further...

Our defense? Stop it before it starts. Maintain the deterrent. Political and otherwise... So that we never have to use it...

Of course, the big one missing from the list is Darfur. Liberals usually end up speechless when I ask them why they are complaining when the political situation is exactly what they support here. The general public are forbidden by law to have arms and the government is walking around with all the guns.

Sure, that is a huge simplification, but the raw facts tend to make liberals blow a fuse. (^_^)

Of course, the big one missing from the list is Darfur. Liberals usually end up speechless when I ask them why they are complaining when the political situation is exactly what they support here. The general public are forbidden by law to have arms and the government is walking around with all the guns.

Sure, that is a huge simplification, but the raw facts tend to make liberals blow a fuse. (^_^)

Liberals also hate Rwanda because though it was their cause du jour in the past, they can't STAND the fact that the majority of the hundreds of thousands of murders were committed with machetes. The fact that close to a million people can be murdered without a gun makes them choke on their own spit.

The causality is the inability of people to protect themselves...

Also, the argument is not really that gun confiscation led to the holocaust so much as the mass killing of dissidents is invariably preceded by gun confiscation.

Since gun control invariably fails to achieve its stated purpose of making people safer, one has to examine the real motive...

This same logic was behind the inclusion of the 2nd Amendment... The threat of force can be as powerful as the force itself - particularly to the foot soldier "just doing his job" marching into homes to collect people en masse... The first time a squad of those guys take return fire, the process gets exponentially more difficult for the government to oppress large quantities of people...

A ton of truth in the above.

A second ton of truth.

I will never, ever, understand why some group or country didn't smuggle some arms to the people being attacked in Darfur. UN resolutions and world sympathy didn't help very much when the Janjaweed troops rode in on their camels to rape and kill. All that the victims could do is run and try to hide. Some old surplus guns in the hands of those victims would have made the thugs involved a little less eager to practice their "sport."

This whole issue is why I've found gun rights a good litmus test of any politician. If an elected official (or government) doesn't want me to be armed, they are not my friend. I don't care how wonderful their other policies may be, and how good they are at making speeches, deep down inside, at some point, they will become oppressors and not leaders. That lesson is crystal clear in history, and it still amazes me that some people cannot see it. Maybe the truth is that they can see it, but don't want to admit it, because then they might have to take action on a personal level.

I will never, ever, understand why some group or country didn't smuggle some arms to the people being attacked in Darfur.
I suspect that as usual, for those who are unconcerned with laws, this would be very easy... For everyone else, this would be next to impossible to accomplish without getting someone in lots of trouble long before they got on the continent...

Think about it - how many illegal arms dealers do you have in your rolodex? [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom