Hi Point

I've only shot a Hi-Point pistol in .45...my friend bought it because it was $100 bucks. It shot like a $100 gun...it was as accurate as you'd expect a $100 gun to be...the ergonomics on it sucked, felt like a brick in my hand and was really unbalanced. Looked and felt like a toy laser gun.

Some people really like the hi-point carbine as a throw around, beat around, shove under your seat and fuggetaboutit, crappy gun that they don't have to worry what happens to.

I've been looking for one for a while. From everything I've read Hi-point handguns suck but the carbines are pretty good (for the $). The ATI stock is a nice upgrade to the old hideous looking stock. The new TS looks a lot better. The big disadvantage compared to the other pistol carbines that take pistol mags (glock, sig, beretta) is that hi-point only makes proprietary 10-rounders.

Hi Point handguns are pure crap, but the people I've run into with the carbines generally seem to like them, for what they are, as a range toy. There are stock/furniture kits to change the looks of the gun out there... (I think ATI makes a stock kit for the Hi Point carbine that makes it look more like a Beretta Storm).

-Mike

I have the old style 9mm carbine and LOVE it. one of my favorite guns to shoot and we call it the ape gun (Planet of the Apes). It is so awful ugly and that is the best part of it. The new style ones do look pretty damn cool and I am waiting for the .45 version to come out in August they are claiming. I was extremely surprised at how accurate the gun is as well. There will be plenty of gun snobs who will knock it as a hi-point but I can tell you don't listen to them. I have actually shot the hi-point 9mm handgun and it shot better than my sigma. Granted it was a new one and not one of the older crappier ones.

So I can tell you for sure you won't be disappointed with the carbine. After shooting mine my buddy went right out and got one and loves his too. Another friend (both members here) just asked about info on buying one last week as he has shot mine as well.

I am waiting for the .45 version to come out in August they are claiming.

I'll believe it when I see it. I was looking for a 995 6-9 months ago. IIRC they were saying the .45 version was coming out in about month then.

On another note it could be a cheap gun for in IDPA Defensive Multi-Gun in either Stock Pistol Caliber Carbine (SPCC) or Enhanced Pistol Caliber Carbine (EPCC).

I know a few people who keep one nearby with 30 round mags for it. Better than a pistol if things get weird. ... in compliance with all laws and regulations of course.

They are a complete blast on a pin/plate range.

I saw them for $159 at several stores in MT. $250 sounds like a ripoff.

I paid $185 brand new for mine but told Paul not to pay $225 used for his at a certain shop and just wait.[wink] That was too high...but he was impatient.

Hell...if a certain shop can get me a .45 version as soon as they are available for a good price count me in for one at least...maybe more. [smile]

Last edited:
I just picked a used one up and it had no problems with the 150 or so rounds I threw at it. It was fun to shoot and was hitting the bowling pins at 50-60 yards away. I have two KelTec S2000'S and a couple other 9mm carbines and it was every bit of fun as they are. Its worth the 175ish dollars just to have. I have heard alot of good from people that own them, and crap from people that don't own it.

I paid $185 brand new for mine but told Paul not to pay $225 used for his at a certain shop and just wait.[wink] That was too high...but he was impatient.

Hell...if a certain shop can get me a .45 version as soon as they are available for a good price count me in for one at least...maybe more. [smile]

I read it and responded on the phone, the ones I saw for $159 were the Hi-Point pistols. But didn't that certain shop have one with a fancy sight or something [wink]

The Columbine shooters used one.

Did we have to bring this up in the public section of the forum? Nothing like another reason for the public to fear a particular object.

The 995 is an ok range gun, though the firing pin broke on mine. Hi Point was very good about getting me a new one. I had it in my hand 4 days after calling them. The call lasted long enough for me to say what kind of gun it was, what was wrong, and tell them my address.
It works well, considering how much it costs, and Hi Point's warranty is pretty good. Lifetime, "no BS" warranty. Sometimes they'll even take care of you even if the problem is your fault (or so I've heard).
It's about $250 worth of gun. It's heavy, bulky, and built like a brick. But it's also cheap and fun.
YMMV

I read it and responded on the phone, the ones I saw for $159 were the Hi-Point pistols. But didn't that certain shop have one with a fancy sight or something [wink]

had a cheap red dot scope...no worries (supply and demand and all) though cuz he is happy as hell with it plus I think the cool owner dropped it down to $200.[smile]

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses...aside from the random comment about Columbine it sounds to me like the carbine is a good for the money purchase....its my b-day today so i think i'll head down to Cabela's and pick up the TS version. I think they have some higher capacity magazines in stock too....Happy Birthday to me.

Thanks for the responses...aside from the random comment about Columbine it sounds to me like the carbine is a good for the money purchase....its my b-day today so i think i'll head down to Cabela's and pick up the TS version. I think they have some higher capacity magazines in stock too....Happy Birthday to me.

Happy Birthday!

I own one and like it. I've put about 100 rnds through it, but I just don't have a real use for it. All I can see it doing is costing me money in ammo, so I'll probably be seeling mine to fund another project. If you like pistol caliber carbines, I think they are good for the price and can be a ton of fun especially on steel.

They are inexpensive and they have a great warrantee.

The 995 carbine are miles above the hi-point pistols.

They are fun to shoot. I only sold mine when I found a Marlin Camp carbine to replace it with.

At this price point, you get a half way decent plinker that you can scratch without crying over it.

I just picked a used one up and it had no problems with the 150 or so rounds I threw at it. It was fun to shoot and was hitting the bowling pins at 50-60 yards away. I have two KelTec S2000'S and a couple other 9mm carbines and it was every bit of fun as they are. Its worth the 175ish dollars just to have. I have heard alot of good from people that own them, and crap from people that don't own it.

Did you buy it from a red headed kid named Rob?

They are inexpensive and they have a great warrantee.

At the retail price point, a lot of them are bought by people who have no intention of taking care of them. They throw them in the boat, in the truck, blast away plinking in the woods, never clean them, and don't care. I know a guy in Washington state who prowls the gun shows and pawn shops looking for beaters. He picks them up for $75-100, takes advantage of the great warranty, and often gets back a practically new carbine that he can sell for $150+.

I think they have some higher capacity magazines in stock too....Happy Birthday to me.

I don't fully understand your location, but if you're a Mass. resident keep in mind that it's illegal for you to possess post ban mags that hold more than 10 rounds in the state of Mass., even with an LTC.

I don't fully understand your location, but if you're a Mass. resident keep in mind that it's illegal for you to possess post ban mags that hold more than 10 rounds in the state of Mass., even with an LTC.

Thanks, well aware of the great laws in my former great state of Mass...But I'm actually I'm in CT. When I wrote my location I had just finished sampling my new arrivals Makers 46 and Woodfords Master Collection and mistakenly switched the north and south, oops. But I like it so I have decided not to correct it :)

Back
Top Bottom