Hi-Point 9 mm for home defense?

Very inexpensive new gun. I'm trying to find out if it's apt to jam, especially when new. Also, because it's a non-metal gun, are parts going to wear out quicker than a metal gun? Does anyone have experience with this gun?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi-Power 9 mm as defense weapon...

I'm considering to purchase a Hi-Point 9 mm for home defense. It's a very inexpensive handgun and I'm sure manufacturing shortcuts were taken to offer a gun at such an attractive price. I don't intend to put thousands of rounds through the gun just want it to work when the need arises.

Anybody have any experience with Hi-Point or thoughts on my reasoning for using this gun for home protection. I don't imagine a composite gun will last as long as an all metal gun, but in my case do I have cause for worry?

thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
Maybe you should edit the title of this thread, you said "Hi Power", not "Hi Point"!

If you're talking High Power, go for it. If you're talking High Point, tread carefully. I have not heard great things about their builds and the example I fired failed to eject twice in the same magazine...They do however have their supporters.

I'm considering to purchase a Hi-Point 9 mm for home defense. It's a very inexpensive handgun and I'm sure manufacturing shortcuts were taken to offer a gun at such an attractive price. I don't intend to put thousands of rounds through the gun just want it to work when the need arises.

There are a ton of guns out there for only marginally more money
that are easily a thousand times better than any Hi-Point pistol
ever made.

I'd try to find a used G17 first or 2nd gen or a Ruger P series
first.

-Mike

Inexpensive handguns like the Hipoint are good enough to knock over tin cans or a convenience store and not much else. If you're planning on defending your life I would take frugality out of the equation and find something with a better track record. If you're looking for basic reliability and a low price, consider a revolver or shotgun.

I have the Hipoint carbine and while it's fun at the range I still keep my .38 next to the bed and my 870 in the closet.

Thanks everyone...

Inexpensive handguns like the Hipoint are good enough to knock over tin cans or a convenience store and not much else. If you're planning on defending your life I would take frugality out of the equation and find something with a better track record. If you're looking for basic reliability and a low price, consider a revolver or shotgun.

I have the Hipoint carbine and while it's fun at the range I still keep my .38 next to the bed and my 870 in the closet.

I tried to chamber a round in a new 9 mm Hi-Point and pulling back the slide is too hard for me, I can do it but it isn't easily done. I could be unfair in my evaluation as I'm comparing it to my Star pistol which easily chambers a round. I don't like to keep a round in the chamber, so in an emergency I would have to chamber a round. And I imagine in an emergency that easier would be better. I'll continue looking.

Thanks again everyone,
Dave

Anything Hi Point is going to be of low quality, I wouldn't trust my life to a Hi Point. I agree with JonJ. If you are set on getting a handgun over a shotgun, a S&W model 637 would be a good option. They 637's are compact and easy to operate and go for about $380ish new. Or, you could look into as used autoloader, as stated above by another poster, Glock 17/19, or one of my personal favorites, the SIG P-239.

I have a hi-point 995 9mm carbine. It was cheap. It's guaranteed for life, no questions asked. It shoots every ammo I try. I have about 500 rounds through it. With winchester white box 115gr I can put 2 mags, rapid fire into a 3" circle at 25 yards. How can you knock it? It's a ball to shoot. New mags are $17.00 shipped to your door.

That being said, I didn't buy it with home defense in mind. After having it, I think a 4095 in .40s&w would be fine for that purpose.

I have no experience with their handguns, but, I don't think they are as well regarded as the carbines.

Back
Top Bottom