Hi-Point 4595 carbine; review

The Goose

NES Member
Just before Christmas I picked up a Hi-Point 4595 .45 acp carbine. Most firearms that I purchase are pretty well researched prior to buying, I have done some research and know that I want one. The Hi-Point was a total impulse buy and I was virtually unaware of their existence. I had heard the name, mostly as crap, and that was it. I was at Collector's in Stoneham and spotted the 4595 and thought what the hell is that. I handled it. It felt very solid, well balanced and went to the shoulder well. Then I looked at the tag, saw what it was and the $278 price tag and I bought it. Once home I did the reverse of what I would normally do and started doing some research. Every review that I found basically had some level of grudging respect for it. The gun rag hacks all wanted to hate it, expected to hate it and then in the end had to say that it was not too bad. I found the Hi-Point forum and discovered that they have a rabidly devoted following. Polls I found disclosed an extremely high satisfaction rate with those that actually owned one. Every gun store gossip (who did not own one) told me they were absolute POS and every one who owned one loved it. So now off to the range.

To date I have put in excess of 700 rds through the 4595 without cleaning it. I have fired several brands of factory FMJ loads, various lead reloads, plated reloads, personal defense ammo and so on without a failure of any type what so ever. I have consistently been able to hit a golf ball at 50 yards with the iron sights. Right now it has a Bushnell Trophy red dot on it and is sighted for 50 feet, I like to shoot it at the pistol range. I have put 200 rds rapid fire throught one less then 3" hole at that distance. Recoil is negligible and sight picture recovery is very fast. Most of all this little carbine is just sheer fun to shoot. I have added the dual mag holders that affix to the stock, kind of a nifty extra.However, there are plenty of rails for other toys. Most people gripe about the 9 rd magazine capacity, but here in MA that is less of an issure given that no pre-ban mags exist so a larger capacity is pretty much moot. One round is not a make or break.

Personally, I am not a fan of a rifle or carbine as a home defense gun. I live in a very small house in a suburban community. I prefer a handgun for home defense, especially given that the absolute longest range inside would be 25 feet and probably a lot less. Maneuvering a long gun in such a cramped environment seems counter intutive to me. At the next level of a social breakdown (SHTF) I would much prefer a real rifle with larger madazine capacity and more power and distance. That being said I think of the house I grew up in. A large house in a rural setting with out buildings such as a chicken coop, barn, sheds etc. This little carbine might shine in a situation where some predators have four legs and not just two. Put a light and/or laser on it and it would be a formidable weapon to discourage all manner of intruders. Based upon my experience so far I would trust my life to this cheap little POS.

4595004.jpg

4595003.jpg

4595006.jpg

Great write up and right on the money. I bought the 9mm HP last year after hearing about it, read up all the reviews I culd find, same results as you. No one wants to admit they bought one, but can't find anything wrong. The factory says to shoot em, don't take them apart, minimal cleaning... just shoot em!!!

Nice write up and I also got a 9 and got a friend the 45. I cant knock what you get for the price. Ithas shot without a problem. Good little home defense for the size and price. I see nothing wrong with grabbing one of these for fun and/or home defense.

I've had the old style 9mm that looks like the planet of the apes weapons. Works great, recoil like a 22. HiPoint has a wonderful warranty too. Call them and they will send you a part or service for you forever. No questions asked, just give them the serial number for verification. Simple kick back mechanism. Easily good to 100 yards.

Nice gun! I've been wondering about these based on their price point. After reading this sounds like I'll be picking one up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Great writeup...I got the 9mm version 995ts and it has quickly become one of my favorites at the range.
Not only is it got the recoil of a .22 its cheap to feed with 9mm. I would highly recommend anyone that just likes to have fun with a gun to put one in their collection.

My first 2 guns were Hi-Points, the .40 and the C9. Still have the C9, only got rid of the .40 to get a lighter CCW (Kahr CW45). Have been thinkling of a Hi-Point 45 for the night stand, and am really considering the 45 Carbine.

I have been looking at the pistol caliber carbines lately and really want a Marlin Camp 9 but willing to settle for a Ruger PC9 if I found the Ruger 1st. After your review though, it seems the Hi-Point might be the way to go for price. Where can I buy one, I am in the Attleboro area? Looking at the HP website, Flint Armament in Fall River is listed as a dealer.

C-Pher set up a group buy for these in 9mm and 45 a few months ago. there great little guns

He has a feeler out for a new Buy now http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...Hi-Point-Group-Buy-Part-II-***Prices-Added***

Ok, so here's the updated prices. Actually, they aren't that bad compared to last year. The only one that really went up with the 9mm. It looks like the .45 only went up two bucks. LOL!

9mm 995TS Carbine $230.95
.40 4095TS Carbine $239.95
.45 4595TS Carbine $254.95

Time to jump in I did Mike

I was pondering the thought of purchasing one of these bad boys... Now I'm definitely going to.

The only problem that I can think of encountering is if I try to purchase the pistol ammo for it, and get declined for being <21

Anyways- Thanks a TON for the review.. It's a huge help and I'll let you know if/when I do decide to get it :) (might go in 9MM to save some bills though)

Hell, it's a plinker. Go with the 9mm and save on ammo. I only bought the .45 cause that is what they had and it was an impulse buy.

I was pondering the thought of purchasing one of these bad boys... Now I'm definitely going to.

The only problem that I can think of encountering is if I try to purchase the pistol ammo for it, and get declined for being <21

Anyways- Thanks a TON for the review.. It's a huge help and I'll let you know if/when I do decide to get it :) (might go in 9MM to save some bills though)

The recoil on the .45 is neglible. One of the fun things about this carbine is that you can pretty much hold it right on target and squeeze off shots. Sight picture recovery is very fast. I imagine the 9mm is even more so. My wife has the Beretta Storm carbine in 9mm and it is like shooting a .22.

How does the recoil like for the 45?

The recoil on the .45 is neglible. One of the fun things about this carbine is that you can pretty much hold it right on target and squeeze off shots. Sight picture recovery is very fast. I imagine the 9mm is even more so. My wife has the Beretta Storm carbine in 9mm and it is like shooting a .22.

I got the 9mm and its got little to no recoil and agree its like shooting a .22

"No one wants to admit they bought one, but can't find anything wrong." TURBO 38

Sounds like a moped or a fat chick, no one wants to admit they're fun to ride!!

Nice write up Goose, you've peaked my interest.

Ever heard "Running Block" by Toby Keith. LOL! If not check it out. It will bring a big grin to your face.

"No one wants to admit they bought one, but can't find anything wrong." TURBO 38

Sounds like a moped or a fat chick, no one wants to admit they're fun to ride!!

Nice write up Goose, you've peaked my interest.

you just gave me a great idea. methinks im going to trade my RIA or sell it and get one of these. Im going to get a higher end 1911 anyway. sweet!

Ever heard "Running Block" by Toby Keith. LOL! If not check it out. It will bring a big grin to your face.

AWESOME!!

Laughing my ass off!

BTW Goose, you just cost me $300! Based on your review, I joined in C-pher's group buy for the Hi-point 4595.

The wife's gonna kill me....

Last edited:
[Aw shucks, I guess I shouldn't have made all that stuff up! LOL!

QUOTE=Donvin999;2228562]I too joined the group buy after I read your review... Thanks! Lol[/QUOTE]

These are also really good for those indoor ranges that only allow pistol calibers.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

Is this still open? I'll get a membership if that is what it takes.

He has a feeler out for a new Buy now http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...Hi-Point-Group-Buy-Part-II-***Prices-Added***

Ok, so here's the updated prices. Actually, they aren't that bad compared to last year. The only one that really went up with the 9mm. It looks like the .45 only went up two bucks. LOL!

9mm 995TS Carbine $230.95
.40 4095TS Carbine $239.95
.45 4595TS Carbine $254.95

Time to jump in I did Mike

Back
Top Bottom