• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hi-Cap Magazine Laws

Ok, let's say you buy a gun that was made not too long ago, but is legal in MA. It's shipped with restricted magazines.

But, they do make pre-ban standard capacity magazines for this pistol.

Can you still have the pre-ban magazines in the gun even if the pistol itself was made just recently?

I don't see why you couldn't, but someone was telling me that you can't.

Ok, let's say you buy a gun that was made not too long ago, but is legal in MA. It's shipped with restricted magazines.

Can you still have the pre-ban magazines in the gun even if the pistol itself was made just recently?

G. L. ch. 140, section 131M:

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement

I've got a related question about "Assault Rifles". I am interested in an AR15, and my reading of the regulations says that you can only buy one which was made before 1994 and is pre-owned? is that right?

But if I wanted to get a Ruger Mini-14, that's not an "assault rifle" and there's no problem? I assume there are aftermarket magazines which hold more than 5 rounds available for the Ruger?

I've got a related question about "Assault Rifles". I am interested in an AR15, and my reading of the regulations says that you can only buy one which was made before 1994 and is pre-owned? is that right?

But if I wanted to get a Ruger Mini-14, that's not an "assault rifle" and there's no problem? I assume there are aftermarket magazines which hold more than 5 rounds available for the Ruger?

I don't know about only owning one, I'm sure someone else here will enlighten us on that. You will however be able to find pre-ban mags for both rifles.

I don't know about only owning one, I'm sure someone else here will enlighten us on that. You will however be able to find pre-ban mags for both rifles.

MA laws only (disclaimer)*:

AWB = gun OR mag must be made before 9/13/94. Who/where/if owned before then is irrelevant! Date of mfr is the ONLY limiting factor, assuming you have LTC-A or -B (hi-cap rifles/shotguns only).

Some mini-14s fall under AWB. Read the law about what that means. It is "features" that make something an AWB or not. Brands or models are not very relevant here.

You can put ANY legal to possess mag in any rifle/pistol/shotgun! If it makes it into a "hi cap gun", then you just need the proper permit to possess it. Thus, pre-ban hi-cap mags in a post-ban non-AWB is fine for a LTC holder of proper class.

* I sometimes forget this is NORTHEAST Shooters, not MA Shooters when replying. Thus the disclaimer that this applies to MA only.

AWB = gun OR mag must be made before 9/13/94. Who/where/if owned before then is irrelevant! Date of mfr is the ONLY limiting factor, assuming you have LTC-A or -B (hi-cap rifles/shotguns only).

Some mini-14s fall under AWB. Read the law about what that means. It is "features" that make something an AWB or not. Brands or models are not very relevant here.

You can put ANY legal to possess mag in any rifle/pistol/shotgun! If it makes it into a "hi cap gun", then you just need the proper permit to possess it. Thus, pre-ban hi-cap mags in a post-ban non-AWB is fine for a LTC holder of proper class.

* I sometimes forget this is NORTHEAST Shooters, not MA Shooters when replying. Thus the disclaimer that this applies to MA only.

hminsky said:

I pick up my NEW, MA compliant AR-15 with M-4 goodies tomorow! This is a new not used gun that stills sells great in MA. The stock is fixed and the muzzle brake is permantly attached as well to help it along the MA laws. I think it only comes with a 10 rd. clip as well.
I was also told that Bushmaster will be discontinuing this model for some reason. I grabbed one of the two that my dealer could get his hands on from his distributor. He would really like to know why he cant get them anymore as well, said they were a great selling gun.

hminsky said:

I pick up my NEW, MA compliant AR-15 with M-4 goodies tomorow! This is a new not used gun that stills sells great in MA. The stock is fixed and the muzzle brake is permantly attached as well to help it along the MA laws. I think it only comes with a 10 rd. clip as well.
I was also told that Bushmaster will be discontinuing this model for some reason. I grabbed one of the two that my dealer could get his hands on from his distributor. He would really like to know why he cant get them anymore as well, said they were a great selling gun.

hminsky said:

I'm so confused ... does that mean it's new but was manufactured before the ban date listed in the MA regulations?? Or are there specific features it has which make it exempt from that ban?

I'm so confused ... does that mean it's new but was manufactured before the ban date listed in the MA regulations?? Or are there specific features it has which make it exempt from that ban?

Back
Top Bottom