HF is so freaking boring

I bought a Kenwood 520 got an 80m dipole up and running and completed my general exam awhile back. I've been getting on HF 80m and 20m as my antenna works decent on both of those and everyone I come across is so damn boring. The only time I had a decent chat with people was on the first Friday I had my license I was on 3899 and there was a group of guys just shooting the breeze.

Ever since then it's 70year old guys talking about how great their vertical is and their xxx#### radio pushing 600 watts.

Isn't there anybody on HF that talks about anything other than their equipment? Maybe I'm just not cut out for HAM radio but I really don't give a damn what radio/antenna you have I wouldn't mind finding people on air that have similar interests and actually have a conversation about something other than radios.

Anyway /rant.

Oh, I did encounter a guy trolling a few other guys on 80m the other day it was kind of funny, he was being a dick and they were all huffy about it, trying to talk over him and stuff.

That's one reason why I rip the 40 channels on 11meter....always fun for me,if I want to talk shop with a bunch of old fogie porkers,I would just hit the forums.

I ran into guys on 80M talking about guns and stuff and other things all the time. You just have to keep looking around, and sometimes, get on late. If you're barefoot though you might want to rectify that..... voice on 80M sucks for extended ragchewing without an amp, unless conditions are perfect (and they never are down there!) because the static crashes often wipe out the weak signals. Getting up to the 600-800W level really seems to help. (Just listen to the guys putting their amp on standby and notice the difference... it's usually pretty huge).

-Mike

I kind of agree with you, but I'm desperately trying to find something fun and ignore the overwhelming majority of people talking about their gear and gout, since I'm so invested now. Too many people enjoy the hobby for it to be as boring as it seems. Tried playing with echolink a bit, sky command, aprs ... etc. It's all kinda boring, but it beats TV.

I kind of agree with you, but I'm desperately trying to find something fun and ignore the overwhelming majority of people talking about their gear and gout, since I'm so invested now. Too many people enjoy the hobby for it to be as boring as it seems. Tried playing with echolink a bit, sky command, aprs ... etc. It's all kinda boring, but it beats TV.

It's boring because you are hanging out in the areas that are the equivalent of FUDD gun owners. Stop hanging with the geriatrics on 80M. Besides HF DX, I'm heavily involved in 900 MHZ repeaters, having been one of the guys that worked to bring all those former NJ 900 repeaters back to this area, and heavily involved in VHF digital voice repeaters (predominantly iDAS/Nexedge equipment).

>>Too many people enjoy the hobby for it to be as boring as it seems.<<

But yet it is..........

RUT (K1HS)

If you start chasing DX you might find it enjoyable. There are about 340 recognized countries/entities. Try and get them all. That will get you more interested in antennas and propagation and all of that crap that you here people talking about. In my opinion the hard part is getting the QSL cards although Log of the World has helped make that easier.
If you call CQ you can control the pace and direction of the QSO. Call someone in England and ask them if they've been to any of the olympic games or if they go fox hunting :)
Also, if a bunch of us on this forum could decide on days and times we could probably get some nice ragchew going.

Voice over HF is boring.

But digital PSK31 is awesome!! It's much easier to get a solid connection out of the low signals than listening to voice.

With a tiny amount of power, I have talked to people in Russia, California(!), Cuba, Denmark, and well into South America.

Most of the time people are like zombies, only talking about their antenna, but once in awhile you meet someone really interesting. I had some great chats with a couple of people, you have to be in the right mood, and be talkative, and
talk about some interesting stuff yourself. Ask them how they got where they are, where did they come from, etc. There are some fascinating life stories out there.

...you have to be in the right mood, and be talkative, and talk about some interesting stuff yourself. Ask them how they got where they are, where did they come from, etc. There are some fascinating life stories out there.
There you go. When my dad travels he meets the most interesting people. He has the gift to get them to talk about interesting things.

If you have the room, stick up a 160m antenna (even a long wire works "ok" through a tuner)...Summer is brutal on 160 (QRN and all that) but winter, it's a blast. yes, higher power is nice on 160 but not necessary. I have spent many many cold winter nights ragchewing into the wee morning hours running only 100 watts. I like talking technical stuff and there are alot of very knowledgable hams on 160...I will agree, it is frustrating to get a good conversation going on many bands. Maybe that's why I haven't been on HF in about 10 years. Part of the reason may be because the bands have sucked that past 8-10 years due to low SS activity but I will have to get my transceiver and antennas set back up this fall to take advantage of higher numbers...

Back
Top Bottom