hey hams, I'm thinking about getting a tower

Realtor MA

NES Life Member
NES Member
I've been thinking about getting a tower to improve my antenna situation. I want to install better antennas and I don't like the look when they're on top of the house. Wondering what some of you other hams have done and your thoughts on tower installation. I have the land although I will have to remove a tree or two.

On Field Day someone described their experience with setting up a 50' tower. I'm not trying to scare you off, but I was surprised at how big a deal a tower can be. He paid $500 for a used tower, but for him the tower was the cheapest part of the operation. He lives in Redding. He needed an Engineer's sign-off on the whole operation and permits not only for the pad & tower but for burrying the coax in 3" PVC. A friend dug the hole for the pad. He dug it oversized and with all the boulders and perhaps some sloppyness the hole took and unbelievable 11 yards of concrete to fill. Set-up required a cherry-picker. I hope he likes it, because it will be a real pain to make it all go away if he wants that part of his yard back.

I'm considering a self supporting type of tower. From what I've read it will need a little over a yard of concrete.
I'm going to have to check the zoning by-laws. One of the biggest issues for me is the tree work.

If any of the papers require a FCC General Class license holder to sign off on it let me know. Just make sure you ground it!

I had a 50 foot rohn tower at a house before the one with the 100 foot one. I installed it myself and you do it in sections with a gin pole. I set the first section in concrete let it cure then just kept adding pieces. It had one house bracket on the peak. Once done then the antennas. On the 100 foot one I had a pro do the tower and large HF triband beam I added all the uhf antennas myself after. I knew I could only climb it once in a day on the 100 foot tower. You use different muscles and its a longer climb then you would think. Standing on the thin cross sections gets to your feet as well.

I'm really getting the itch to do this. I have a place all picked up and I've read and re-read the zoning by-laws. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should do a crank up or tilt over.

I'm really getting the itch to do this. I have a place all picked up and I've read and re-read the zoning by-laws. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should do a crank up or tilt over.

They have tilt-overs that also crank up.
I helped install one two years ago, we used a full pallet of 80lb bags of concrete for the base. The baseplate is triangular and hinges on two legs.

I helped install one two years ago, we used a full pallet of 80lb bags of concrete for the base. The baseplate is triangular and hinges on two legs.

Yes. I've seen those and i think I know where I can get a second hand crankup. As for the concrete, I would probably have it delivered.

I'm considering a self supporting type of tower. From what I've read it will need a little over a yard of concrete.
I'm going to have to check the zoning by-laws. One of the biggest issues for me is the tree work.

Are you sure? Only one yard of concrete for a self supporting tower?
I have 70' of Rohn 45, and the base has 6 yards of concrete. The tower is guyed as per instructions at 35 and 65 feet.
It's been up for 15 years without any problems. At the top is a 4 ele SteppIR.

Are you sure? Only one yard of concrete for a self supporting tower?
I have 70' of Rohn 45, and the base has 6 yards of concrete. The tower is guyed as per instructions at 35 and 65 feet.
It's been up for 15 years without any problems. At the top is a 4 ele SteppIR.

It,s probably more. I think the .base has to be about 5x5x6. Still trying to find the 'right' tower

Thanks. I bought a Tri-ex W-51 from a guy in Gloucester. It's a self supporting crankup I've got it all planned out I' m going to need someone with a machine to dig the hole and I'll need someone to do some welding for the base.

If anyone wants an old free tower (two 20' sections). Let me know!

Sorry, he declined.
He said it was light-duty aluminum Rohn 20, probably 70's vintage.
The heavy stuff only comes in 10' sections.
He says it's OK for TV antennas, which is what it was really made for, but for big HF antennas it's not rigid enough and prone to twisting in the wind.

Last edited:

Hey!!! Did I help with that install? Sounds familiar.

Back
Top Bottom