Hero Brooklyn cop had just one bullet to save partner - NY Post

She continued to march and put the guy down when others could have and would have turtled......... was it perfect...no... but sh!t happens and she overcame it. God Bless that they both survived.

I guess I just take issue with calling a cop a "hero" for doing their job. While making a crucial shot under a do or die situation is a "good on ya" for sure, I just don't like the creative twist that takes a possible (probable in my mind) screwup that compounds the seriousness of a situation, and turning into "a hero that came out on top".

I guess I just take issue with calling a cop a "hero" for doing their job. While making a crucial shot under a do or die situation is a "good on ya" for sure, I just don't like the creative twist that takes a possible (probable in my mind) screwup that compounds the seriousness of a situation, and turning into "a hero that came out on top".

But can't ya just read the story and say "hey good for you, job well done," instead of ya well she got lucky blah blah blah so on and so forth. Sometimes people on here jump right on the wrong doings instead of maybe just saying hey, cheers ya did well.

well... it does sort of go without saying that if a sidearm is part of your daily kit for your job, you probably ought to make sure that your mag is seated properly, and that your holster doesn't trip the mag release... but i think that would make NES anti-LEO. [wink]

As I recall, a few NESers with LE jobs have noted that they've seen their magazine come loose while riding in the car.

As I recall, a few NESers with LE jobs have noted that they've seen their magazine come loose while riding in the car.

Great... then they better be damn sure they know how to seat that sucker if it's not.

Better yet, if it's a common thing I'd be slamming the fugger home as part of my draw. But, like timber said, with many cops, the weapon goes days, weeks... even months, between coming out of the holster. I stand by my statement... for many cops, it's part of the uniform, nothing more.

But can't ya just read the story and say "hey good for you, job well done," instead of ya well she got lucky blah blah blah so on and so forth. Sometimes people on here jump right on the wrong doings instead of maybe just saying hey, cheers ya did well.

Sure. But then I'd be just another LEO fluffer here. Also, there'd be no opportunity to learn something.

I give credit where credit is due.

At least once a week I make sure that my sweet, loved one is clean and well lubed, with a complete functionality test of course.

I would like to do it more often but...

Last edited:
The factual errors don't change the fact that this situation could have very easily turned out quite differently.

Reminds me of the time at a cookout a certain NES members magazine wasn't properly locked in his Sig. [wink]

I bet she has a flinch now.

Huh?

I want me some of those heart-seeking bullets!

"...striking heavily armed Michael Romero in the shoulder with a bullet that pierced his heart."

He was probably shot at the same angle that South Carolina Trooper Mark Coates was shot at, or that Michael Platt was shot at in the Miami shootout, i.e. from the side.

I think it likely that the magazine dropped out on the draw due to hitting the magazine release, or because the magazine was never fully seated. I've seen Glocks do this reasonable frequently, maybe because of the design of the magazine catch or just not great magazines.

I'm not going to congratulate the broad for anything more than getting lucky. Sounds like lack of practice causing f***up on draw hence dropping the mag "somehow", and second failure in locking the mag back after initial failure, then lucky shot after two dickups.

its not about hwo many suspect one has shot, but whether the person can draw from their holster successfully.

No. It says in the article:

As Hayes leaped out of the passenger seat, she somehow accidentally ejected the clip from her gun.

The quick-thinking cop caught it and slid it back in, sources said, but she hadn't truly locked the magazine into the gun -- which requires pointing the weapon toward the ground and pulling the slide back, the source said.

A duty holster is almost always carried exposed, for a faster draw. It's very common for magazines to catch on doorframes and be stripped out (similar to how mags get stripped out of the gun when clearing certain malfunctions). Since duty holsters are desgined to firmly grip the duty weapon, there's not a lot of room for error on some models when they're molded to tightly fit the gun, so if the gun gets bumped towards the body the magazine catch could be struck by the side of the holster. It happened to me once with a G23, which is the same size as a G19...I switched to my spare duty holster when I got home and purchased a new one right away.

The article also said that she only had one available shot. She probably didn't find out that the mag wasn't re-seated correctly until the gun went "click" after the first shot.

Unseated magazines are, without a doubt, the most common failure mode of semi-autos.

Yessir.

I know there are so many here that would have made a perfect draw and fired a perfect double-tap in between the perp's eyes in less than a second, with the second round out the barrel before the muzzle even flipped from the first shot. I would imagine that it takes a bit more discipline to make the shot if the perp has the drop on you and everything up to the shot has gone straight to shit.

Actually, this scenario seems like a great idea for the start of an IDPA stage.

The two officers involved were working the Anti Crime unit at the time of the shooting. This is the unit that replaced NYPD's Street Crime unit, which was disbanded after the Amadou Diallo shooting. This is a group of guys and gals who chase violent criminals with guns every night they work. They are put in neighborhoods to target violent criminals who prey on innocent people, and they make record numbers of armed robbery and firearms related arrests. They are at the dirty end of the stick, all the time, and positions in that unit aren't easy to get. This isn't a group of regular beat cops, you have to be more than just the average cop to get selected. The people in that unit would have to be foolish to not train intensely with their guns.

Something else that people are forgetting is that she was in the passenger seat of the car when the felon stuck his pistol in the face of the driver. She had to jump out and run around the car to get a clear shot, and she had to park her bullet a few inches from her partner's head. She probably had 2-3 seconds to jump out, draw, correct the malfunction and take her shot.

This would be a great IDPA stage. Shooters could take turns shooting past the heads of their close friends while on the move a split second after clearing a weapon malfunction. Naturally someone would have to kill their close friend if their shots weren't instantly incapacitating, and to further add to the stress, the IDPA stage could be held on a busy street in one of the worst neighborhoods in NYC, without a rangemaster, whistle or earmuffs.

/sarcasm

The two officers involved were working the Anti Crime unit at the time of the shooting. This is the unit that replaced NYPD's Street Crime unit, which was disbanded after the Amadou Diallo shooting. This is a group of guys and gals who chase violent criminals with guns every night they work. They are put in neighborhoods to target violent criminals who prey on innocent people, and they make record numbers of armed robbery and firearms related arrests. They are at the dirty end of the stick, all the time, and positions in that unit aren't easy to get. This isn't a group of regular beat cops, you have to be more than just the average cop to get selected. The people in that unit would have to be foolish to not train intensely with their guns.

Something else that people are forgetting is that she was in the passenger seat of the car when the felon stuck his pistol in the face of the driver. She had to jump out and run around the car to get a clear shot, and she had to park her bullet a few inches from her partner's head. She probably had 2-3 seconds to jump out, draw, correct the malfunction and take her shot.

This would be a great IDPA stage. Shooters could take turns shooting past the heads of their close friends while on the move a split second after clearing a weapon malfunction. Naturally someone would have to kill their close friend if their shots weren't instantly incapacitating, and to further add to the stress, the IDPA stage could be held on a busy street in one of the worst neighborhoods in NYC, without a rangemaster, whistle or earmuffs.

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I think she clearly did a great job getting out of the car and getting around it and engaging the target. I think it was good discipline - even if her training failed in getting the magazine back in, everything else she did seems to have been done right. Clearly, she'll be checking her magazine more often now, but the rest of her training and instincts seem to have worked and probably saved both their lives.

As for the IDPA comment, my point was to say that it might be interesting to start a stage with an unintentional mag drop as it would add some challenge (and might give some people who are mocking the unseated magazine pause). I don't even shoot IDPA.

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. I think she clearly did a great job getting out of the car and getting around it and engaging the target. I think it was good discipline - even if her training failed in getting the magazine back in, everything else she did seems to have been done right. Clearly, she'll be checking her magazine more often now, but the rest of her training and instincts seem to have worked and probably saved both their lives.

I agreed with you on that point.

As for the IDPA comment, my point was to say that it might be interesting to start a stage with an unintentional mag drop as it would add some challenge (and might give some people who are mocking the unseated magazine pause). I don't even shoot IDPA.

Neither do I, evidently I misinterpreted what you were saying here. I think we were saying the same thing, but different ways.

Back
Top Bottom