• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Here we go again - this time 1918 ERFURT

Picked this up the other day. All matching numbers, including the magazine (with wood base). No import marks.

I also have the original holster, also stamped 1918. I'm pretty sure nothing has been done to it - especially since it didn't have the two parts needed for the trigger to actuate anything - that's been fixed.

The inside is clean, with a few rust spots here and there. You can't see it on the pictures, but there is pitting on the outside - the bore seems clean, though.

Any thoughts on value, condition?

2011-10-08_15-45-49_280.jpg 2011-10-08_15-46-01_190.jpg 2011-10-08_15-46-40_769.jpg 2011-10-08_15-49-09_58.jpg 2011-10-08_15-49-26_568.jpg

Let me know if you need any other specific pictures.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks solid. Now get that rust off of it. If you dont mind me asking, what did you payfor the old girl? I have a 1916 DMW that I am going to restore when I get the extra cash. She shoots like a dream but has about 10% finish on her.

I'm planning to flip this - so I guess I want to get it as restored as possible with minimal effort to then sell it. I was thinking the old WD-40 and 0000 steel wool for the rust....

I'm planning to flip this - so I guess I want to get it as restored as possible with minimal effort to then sell it. I was thinking the old WD-40 and 0000 steel wool for the rust....

Be very careful - you can ruin a gun's collector's value with steel wool. Unless you are an expert in collectible firearms and the preservation thereof, I'd make sure it was wiped down with a quality oil to prevent further rust and not screw with it.

Nice old Lady, congrats!
The late Erfurts' finish is known for being a bit more "rough" compared to the DWM's.
ETA: Try a nylon stocking before even brass wool. Soak the parts in petroleum for
some days and wipe her down carefully.

@daltrey99
Welcome to the club, I have a DWM 1916, too. That pistol has an amazing history.
Are we going to meet at Monument Beach on Sat or Sippican on Sun?

especially since it didn't have the two parts needed for the trigger to actuate anything

Really? That's odd. What was missing, the sear bar and trigger lever? Sounds like someone was trying to temporarily deactivate it. That surface rust is not so bad. I've seen much worse. If it were mine, before I did anything I would wipe the whole gun down with CLP. Then look her over and decide if you would be better off selling it as-is, or risk biting into the existing finish too deep with a clean-up attempt. Steel wool? No. Not on a finish like that. Juergen's idea with a nylon stocking and kerosene is much more safe. Take the wood grips off first of course.

Is it chambered for .30 or 9mm?

ETA: At the Marlboro gunshow a few weeks back, I saw a refinished DWM (can't remember the year) 9mm with an artillary barrel. I don't know a whole lot about the artillary Lugers but I know the gun was not originally artillary because the rear toggle had the sight. The seller wanted $700something. I held it and looked it over. It was a really nice refinish job but I had to put it down and internally bitch-slap myself for even considering buying such a bastardized gun!

Last edited:
ETA: At the Marlboro gunshow a few weeks back, I saw a refinished DWM (can't remember the year) 9mm with an artillary barrel. I don't know a whole lot about the artillary Lugers but I know the gun was not originally artillary because the rear toggle had the sight. The seller wanted $700something. I held it and looked it over. It was a really nice refinish job but I had to put it down and internally bitch-slap myself for even considering buying such a bastardized gun!

Yes, I saw that one too. I didn't even look at it, not interested in anything non-original and don't have the money for another original.

Let me know when you are going to sell it...please. And please. No steel wool. Its better to sell as is and if the next owner wants to have it refinished so be it. As 45 Collector said there was a $700 item that if the guy had left it alone it would have been snatched up in a minute.
I still cant find one of these. I don't ant to pay over a grand and some of the ones out there have been messed with something awful. Oh well the search continues.

Back
Top Bottom