• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Heraldry challenge for you guys...

I have the dogtags, blouse, trousers, tie, and jacket for a US Army Veteran who died childless, AND what I am told is his casket Flag. I'm fairly certain he passed after his time of service.
The entire service record is in the hands of one of the family members, which I hope to receive before sending this collection on to his unit historian or museum... but I know the basics.
I figure a heraldry challenge is called for, as it may lead to more info than I have currently.

(Yes, none of the remaining family wanted the Great Uncles' service uni, and yes, that makes me sad.)

attachment.php

IMG_1766.JPG IMG_1767.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG IMG_1769.JPG
IMG_1770.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1764.JPG
    IMG_1764.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 324
Try one of the local veterans organizations. They may point you in the direction of some museum or other organization that would love to have it. Just a thought......[halfmast]

Sorry missed the part were you had already figured out were to send it....Look at it this way. It will be in fare better hands than his family's. You my friend are a solid guy for caring.

The unit he served with may no longer be active and you may have trouble finding a current unit POC or historian. I also recommend trying a local VFW or Legion and seeing if they can find a good place or use for it.

Do you know what's in the record? It's sad his family doesn't want the stuff, but honestly if was just an average Joe there might not be many places that will want to display that stuff anywhere. This is he type of stuff that should have significantly more family meaning than public interest.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

So far I've got Technical Sargent, Honorably Discharged, XXIVth Corps.
I know from documentation that he was Occupied Korea, immediately after the end of hostilities with Japan:
http://www.31stinfantry.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Chapter-8.pdf

I don't know if he was 6th ID or 7th ID, or the third division not named in the above PDF.

- - - Updated - - -

The unit he served with may no longer be active and you may have trouble finding a current unit POC or historian. I also recommend trying a local VFW or Legion and seeing if they can find a good place or use for it.

Do you know what's in the record? It's sad his family doesn't want the stuff, but honestly if was just an average Joe there might not be many places that will want to display that stuff anywhere. This is he type of stuff that should have significantly more family meaning than public interest.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

All too true, I'm afraid. If I find actual unit details in the documentation, when I receive it, I may be able to reach out to the unit command but you may be right: They may be defunct. XXIVth was deactivated after the end of occupation and then re-activated for Vietnam, only to be de-activated again in 1972.

So far I've got Technical Sargent, Honorably Discharged, XXIVth Corps.
I know from documentation that he was Occupied Korea, immediately after the end of hostilities with Japan:
http://www.31stinfantry.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Chapter-8.pdf

I don't know if he was 6th ID or 7th ID, or the third division not named in the above PDF.

- - - Updated - - -

All too true, I'm afraid. If I find actual unit details in the documentation, when I receive it, I may be able to reach out to the unit command but you may be right: They may be defunct. XXIVth was deactivated after the end of occupation and then re-activated for Vietnam, only to be de-activated again in 1972.

He wasn't "in" either of those infantry divisions. He was in the 24th corps headquarters element, which was probably a battalion-sized unit. Get on the Google and find out what a corps HQ MTOE was back then; it'll give an idea of where they'd have put the medics and who he'd have been treating.

Everyone else is right: fairly random e-5 medic, honorably discharged with no further service or he'd have put the patch on his right shoulder. That, or he didn't ever deploy from the States; that's possible as well. Having his ribbons would answer those kinds of questions.

And, as has been said, his kin probably aren't the only ones that won't want this. Ike jackets from random servicemen are not rare, museum-wise. Especially from defunct formations.

i was having coffee with a buddy this morning and i asked him about this, he's active in his local vfw post. he said don't be surprised if the post turns down your offer. he said his post gets hundreds of these "donations" a year. with the wwII and korean vets dying in substantial numbers, they can't possibly accept and store these garments so they refuse them. the post won't even accept uniform donations from deceased post members. myself, i do hope your idea works.

i was having coffee with a buddy this morning and i asked him about this, he's active in his local vfw post. he said don't be surprised if the post turns down your offer. he said his post gets hundreds of these "donations" a year. with the wwII and korean vets dying in substantial numbers, they can't possibly accept and store these garments so they refuse them. the post won't even accept uniform donations from deceased post members. myself, i do hope your idea works.

thanks for the reply. My expectations are adequately tempered, I'm just hopeful that this will be respected wherever it goes.

Back
Top Bottom