Henry Big Boy .44 magnum

The Goose

NES Member
I bought his a little while ago and just got around to shooting it this last weekend. I love this rifle! The fit and finish is excellent and the functioning impeccable. I installed the big loop lever from Henry. I hesitated to put a scope on it, but these old eyes struggle with irons so I mounted a Leupold 1.25 - 4X that has a center dot that will illuminate (or just regular cross hairs). I bought 2 boxes of Magtech 240 gr. soft points and gave it a whirl. It took a half dozen shots to get it dialed in. I fired 10 shots at 50 yards and they grouped just under 1" into a ragged hole. Moved it out to 100 yards and without any adjustment to the scope it grouped 10 shots in 2" dead center. I was amazed. If I have any criticism it is the front loading tube which takes some getting used to. Like the old .22 I had as a kid. However, given the intended purposes of this rifle and it's 10 round capacity the method of loading is pretty much moot.

I will be reloading and casting for this moving forward. I have a 240 gr. RNFP mold that should work well. I also have a 200 gr. RNFP that I will try.

Henry really makes a great rifle.

I really like the Henry design much more than my Marlin. For all those who complain about the lack of a loading gate, I've never found the need to top off, and my fat fingers don't manipulate the gate that easy.

TBH, Ive never laid hands on a lever action, but the loading gate always seemed a lot more user friendly than having to pull the tube, load up and put it back in.

Those are great looking rifles though. Ive been eyeballing one for a while just never pulled the trigger. I may be too ocd to handle the inevitable fingerprints on the brass, lol.

Funny, every time I look at the polished brass I think 'first thing I'm going to do is let the brass oxidize and dull'. I don't like 'shiny' on most things.

For me it depends. There was a guy here who polished the crap out of his sp101 and I thought it looked awesome. Oxidized looks good, shiny looks good, fingerprints all over it would bug me. Shiny is ok for something that hangs on a wall. If I were using it constantly, it wouldnt be for me. (Im a little "off" though[wink])

>>For all those who complain about the lack of a loading gate, I've never found the need to top off, and my fat fingers don't manipulate the gate that easy.<<

I agree... I'll take the tube any day.

That scope kind of looks like a rocket motor on a model T. Still an awesome rifle though. It's on my bucket list. Along with about a dozen others.

I have the BB steel in 45 colt. Its my favorite rifle to shoot. I'm not that good with irons and I can ring a steel IDPA torso consistently at 100 yards with it open sights. I'm considering putting skinners on it, but really, it shoots so well I haven't.

I'm a fan of the tube. Easier on the fingers. If i need to throw one in, loading in the chamber is easy.

Fit, finish, walnut, and action is hands down better than the new Marlins. Take the Henry apart and everything is polished.

I really wish mine didn't have a kickpad, that's my only minor complaint, I like it to look as old west lever action as possible. Actually considering asking Henry to make me one without it.

Last edited:
Funny, every time I look at the polished brass I think 'first thing I'm going to do is let the brass oxidize and dull'. I don't like 'shiny' on most things.

I agree thats why both of my Henrys are the steel receiver models. I prefer the look and feel especially w the nice wood furniture henry uses.

- - - Updated - - -

I really like the Henry design much more than my Marlin. For all those who complain about the lack of a loading gate, I've never found the need to top off, and my fat fingers don't manipulate the gate that easy.

Im with you on this. The tube loading method works fine and is no issue for me.

Got the same rifle and absolutely love it. You should try shooting some water jugs at 100 yards - it obliterates them. I've been meaning to chrono my 180 gr XTP loads with 31 gr of H110 out of the Henry. They ran about 1600 fps out of my 7.5" super redhawk so they must be at least 2000 fps in the 20" Henry barrel.

Got some cool photos here if interested:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ag-reloads-vs-water-jug?p=5051507#post5051507

Last edited:
but the loading gate always seemed a lot more user friendly than having to pull the tube, load up and put it back in.

It is, though when unloading, one has to give the nod to the Henry.

BTW, I never seem to remove the rod in the field. I only take it out to unload or while cleaning. Why have something else to juggle? Just flip he rifle over, hold it at a natural 30-45 degree angle, pull out the brass inner magazine tube until the opening in the steel outer tube is clear, slide the rounds in, and push the brass tube back down. The configuration while loading is not one I'd want to be in if in a cowboy gun fight taking cover behind a boulder, but I don't have a lot of experience with that sort of thing. I can say it works great at the range when you're not under fire. Now I have seen folks on YouTube loading them vertically and dropping the rounds in ... clunk ... clunk. Then you do have to take the rod out, I guess, but...why load like that?

Back
Top Bottom