Help with scope, fixed 10X or 20X power questions and possible pros/cons

So, I'm looking for a new scope. Please control your laughter, I am using a Barska Swat Tactical 10-40 X 50. It does what I want it to, punches .5 moa at 100 yards an 1 moa at 200 yards.

As it's a a cheap scope I know however it's served me well, I like the ability to see the holes out to 200 yards so I crank the magnification to 40 and then back down to 10. With 10 power I can't see the .223 holes @ 200 yards but once I get beyond 20X I can, thus I am leaning towards a 20X fixed scope. I also plan on getting a spotting scope as well.

So, considering i'm essentially shooting bench rest, what are the down sides to a fixed 20X scope?

Limited field of view with a 20, but if strictly used for target work, it's not an issue.

Who makes a fixed power 20?

Mike Empty you pm box.

I hunt Squirrels with a fixed 36X Sightron "you get use to it"

As for who makes a fixed 20 power.

They are know to stand up to a 50 BMG.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/320982-20X-SWFA-SS-Sniper-Scope

Dean

Last edited:
Limited field of view with a 20, but if strictly used for target work, it's not an issue.

Who makes a fixed power 20?

SWFA does.

I'm considering going to a fixed scope, I see the FOV for the 20X is 1.9 meters which is 6 feet and is equal to the height of a person which isn't terrible as long as the glass is pretty good.

Forgot about those.
I had one and was less than impressed with it.

Well, take into account that it IS a $200 scope. The 10x is a much better scope than the 16x or 20x but for the price they are all hard to beat and the warranty is every bit as good as Vortex.

I have had several and have been very happy with them, plus you can't beat that 100moa plus in elevation adjustment.

Dean

Well, take into account that it IS a $200 scope. The 10x is a much better scope than the 16x or 20x but for the price they are all hard to beat and the warranty is every bit as good as Vortex.

I think I had to pay $300 when i bought the one I had. For $200 its a deal. At $300, not so much.
A buddy had the 10x and it was much better than the 20x I had. Mine was extremely sensitive to eye relief, turrets were hard to turn and mushy, reticle was too course. For $200, I'd much rather get a used 10x Leupold off of eBay.

So, I'm looking for a new scope. Please control your laughter, I am using a Barska Swat Tactical 10-40 X 50. It does what I want it to, punches .5 moa at 100 yards an 1 moa at 200 yards.

As it's a a cheap scope I know however it's served me well, I like the ability to see the holes out to 200 yards so I crank the magnification to 40 and then back down to 10. With 10 power I can't see the .223 holes @ 200 yards but once I get beyond 20X I can, thus I am leaning towards a 20X fixed scope. I also plan on getting a spotting scope as well.

So, considering i'm essentially shooting bench rest, what are the down sides to a fixed 20X scope?

if your going bench rest why stop at 20x?

Used one of these over the summer
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/72...ekveXN95BpZkMBkssTU-4kekmj5YMKo3yphoCwSrw_wcB
was nice.......
unless you want to be tempted stay away from the nicer scopes...I was able to use a March 40x 1/16th moa dot scope crazy putting a tiny dot inside a 6mm hole was cool. Shooting a 600 yard 6BR rifle. I was shooting at 200 yards though. still impressive scope....but way to much for my needs!
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/83...qb57BpazcHxj84r7w7eN9mQC8t6fYIozMCBoCZEPw_wcB
I also tried one of these and for sub 300$ it was darn good. Although just by feel the turrets feel a little mushy and might not hold up to constant adjustment?

Back
Top Bottom