Help removing Garand rear handguard band

How do you remove the rear handguard band? I've seen the CMP instructions to use a screwdriver, but that isn't working for this one. I've also seen a special tool, much like snap ring pliers. Is there anyone with such a tool who might let me borrow it?

Hmmm, I wouldn't recommend doing it that way, that's asking for trouble. Most people would say leave the clip on unless you are doing a repair.

If it needs to come off, take the handguard off the rifle first. This is done by driving out a pin in the lower band. Once the pin is out, (may be a roll pin that is hard to see, but there's most likely a pin in there) carefully remove the lower band. Do you best not to oval the band when tapping it off.

Then the handguard can slide off. When it's off you can get much easier access to the clip and you should be able to get it off WITHOUT spanners. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Last edited:
They might be-I'm not an expert.

That guide was the one I was following. I'm tempted to buy those pliers if I can't find someone nearby who already has them or a better solution

Thanks for your help

Be careful, you can crack the wood if too heavy handed.

I do one side at a time, using a pointed tool that fits in the hole as a lever and an object like the screw driver in the CMP photo as a pivot.

The only problem with the CMP way is you may leave a small scratch on the barrel if not careful.

Make sure you have a good reason to remove the handguard, otherwise leave it on.

The clip is easily removed if you make a simple hooked tool to insert in the hole. Insert the hook and pull outward until you clear the wood then rotate the clip around the HG until it disengages the other side. If the wood is tight in the forward band you may be better off pulling the forward band off first.

The clip is easily removed if you make a simple hooked tool to insert in the hole. Insert the hook and pull outward until you clear the wood then rotate the clip around the HG until it disengages the other side. If the wood is tight in the forward band you may be better off pulling the forward band off first.

I have an old o-ring puller that has a nice hook. Perhaps I'll try that. Thanks.

I use the wire method. Cheap and effective.

mrb1.jpg

Details: http://www.trfindley.com/pgmetrepr.html

What are you repairing? Personally I would leave the stock ferrel alone.
To remove upper hand guard as follows http://www.youtube.com/guide_ajax?d...gL_n9v3J6gA&bvm=bv.59568121,d.cWc&app=desktop large c clip or boring pliers can be used to remove clip from wood. The key is to spread the clip until you can rotate the wood 90' and slide clip off. Don't slip and be careful the wood breaks easy if the clip sharp edge gets a chance to spring loose. Also watch your grip preasure when holding the wood. They can crack right down the middle with a little to much mmmppphh.
I learned the hard way. Leave clip on the wood if you do not "need " to remove it.

Here's the tool in action http://www.youtube.com/guide_ajax?d...qeDmuBSGkyg&bvm=bv.59568121,d.cWc&app=desktop

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom