Help me choose a shotgun for my 12 yo boy.

icyclefar

NES Member
I am ready to upgrade my 12 year old son from a 20 GA to a 12 GA for Trap, and Skeet shooting. I have narrowed my choices down to two models, both made by Beretta.

The first is their model 3901 Target RL, this is a true youth gun with an adjustable length of pull from 12" to 13" the gun comes with a choice of either 26" or 28" barrel, and an adjustable comb.

Choice number 2 is the Beretta 391 Urika RL, while almost identical to the one above it is more of a "small person's" gun with a length of pull of 13.25" (not adjustable), and a fixed elevated target comb, this model can be bought with 26", 28", or 30" barrel.

I see this purchase as being that one gun that will carry him until he can manage a full size adult model.

So what do you think ...............

I know the 30" barrel is not an option, but I'm on the fence between 26" and 28"

Anyone out there with first hand experience outfitting their kid?

If he already has a gun he can shoot ok, I'd wait a year or so and get him a full sized one then. He'll be big enough for a full sized, real quick, unless you don't feed him very well :)

Maybe he can handle one now. Have you let him try a full sized one?

I did that with my grandaughter and a .22. She had a kid sized one until she was 12 when I got her a full sized one. She had no trouble with it's size.

He's been shooting a 20 GA adult field gun with a 26" barrel, and while he can "handle" it, there is no doubt that it is too big for him and costing him 5 or 6 birds on the trap field, and it makes skeet very hard. Part of my motivation, is to give him the biggest advantage possible (better gun fit, bigger gauge) so that he can improve and enjoy the sport more.

Find a gun you can get a spare stock for (either a full size gun with a spare stock) or a youth/adult. and cut the stock down for his reach. I did that with my son (he grew quick) and it worked out well. unless you have other kids on the way up at this age I wouldn't spend the coin on a youth only model.

I recently acquired the 391 Urika RL - I'm a 5'4" woman and the length of pull with the smaller recoil pad (it comes with two) is *just* short enough to make it comfortable for me. Ideally, I'd like it a bit shorter (my youth Remington 870 is very handy), but the 391 RL is entirely manageable for me. Also worth considering is that the gentlemen I shoot trap with find my 391 Urika RL to fit them quite well. In fact, one of them owns a standard 391 Urika and thinks the RL is might actually be a better fit for him and he is not a small man. Unless your son is on track to mature well above 6', the 391 Urika RL will be suitable for years to come.

I've not had any experience with the 3901 RL.

Back
Top Bottom