• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help ID'ing a handgun...

I need help identifying a Smith & Wesson revolver.

I was at the range a couple of weeks ago, and the gentleman in the range next to me had the most interesting revolver. It was a Smith & Wesson Airweight, .38 special +P, Centennial (hammerless) frame, with a seven-shot cylinder.

I *thought* it said 242 for the model, but a quick Google search reveals nothing, as does a look at S&W’s website.

It had a 2” barrel (not 1 7/8” like the normal j-frame snubbies) and had to have been an L- or K-frame (j-frames in .38 special are all 5 shot cylinders).

Does anyone have any more info on this gun? It shot VERY well (all 7 shots in ~ 3” circle at 21’ under semi-rapid fire) and looks like it would be a wonderful CCW piece, as it was only marginally larger and heavier than its J-framed smaller cousin.

Thanks in advance for any help…

It would be the 242Ti. It's shown on page 185 of Supica and Nahas' Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson Second Edition. It was only manufactured for a year from 1999 to 2000.

Last edited:
I need help identifying a Smith & Wesson revolver.

I was at the range a couple of weeks ago, and the gentleman in the range next to me had the most interesting revolver. It was a Smith & Wesson Airweight, .38 special +P, Centennial (hammerless) frame, with a seven-shot cylinder.

I *thought* it said 242 for the model, but a quick Google search reveals nothing, as does a look at S&W’s website.

It had a 2” barrel (not 1 7/8” like the normal j-frame snubbies) and had to have been an L- or K-frame (j-frames in .38 special are all 5 shot cylinders).

Does anyone have any more info on this gun? It shot VERY well (all 7 shots in ~ 3” circle at 21’ under semi-rapid fire) and looks like it would be a wonderful CCW piece, as it was only marginally larger and heavier than its J-framed smaller cousin.

Thanks in advance for any help…

It is an L frame. If you want one, I saw one today in a shop but did not look at the price.

It would be the 242Ti. It's shown on page 185 of Supica and Nahas' Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson Second Edition. It was only manufactured for a year from 1999 to 2000.

Bless you, Frosty. I could have sworn I saw "242" on the frame, but had no luck whatsoever finding the model listed anywhere.

I'm assuming that they're VERY rare (read: $$$$$$$$) if they were only made for one year.

Figures...

It is an L frame. If you want one, I saw one today in a shop but did not look at the price.

RGS, what shop? I'd be VERY interested in this gun.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom