Help figuring out what to buy...

richc

NES Member
So I have various needs that likely will require more than one piece of equipment. That's OK, actually.

First I'd like a new police radio. I like being able to scan through various channels, listening in on stuff. Yeah, I'm a bit of a voyeur but it is interesting. I've seen the GRE PSR-800 and like it. Lots of channels and choices and it is programmable from a PC. And it seems to support all the latest industry standards and buzz words. I'm open to other suggestions, but this is cool.

Then my needs get more into the ham radio world. I'd like to listen in on things going on out there. If there's a Katrina style disaster I'd like to listen in. And maybe listen in beyond our borders if that is possible. I suspect we'll see some interesting events in this country this election year and I'd like to hear what's going on. And if/when SHTF I'd like to listen in and have the ability to communicate. No, I don't have an FCC license but I certainly can get one. And if/when the SHTF I don't imagine licenses will prove to be all that important.

I like to buy things once and have them last a long time. I like lots of flexibility, so I'd like something that provides access to the max number of frequencies. Even if that requires a hack, and I understand there's lots of them out there, I'm ok with that. I don't mind spending a bit extra to get what I really want. I don't like limits when they can be avoided...

For a ham radio I'm thinking a mobile unit for several reasons. Maybe I'll want to listen in from the car. Two, if power is out I'd like to use DC power from rechargeable batteries.

So what say y'all? How would you spend my money?

Thank you,

Rich

Last edited:
Rich,
I am a big fan of Yaesu radios and have an 817, it's a 5W radio that will do all bands. The upside is it's tiny and ultra-portable, the downside is it's only 5 watts. I picked up a small amp that will takes 2.5W and push 35W which gives me a lot more power and still maintain a small package. Yaesu makes the 857 which is all band and outputs 100W. The 857 can be used as a mobile and as a base station. I think the 857 coupled with a screwdriver antenna like the Lil' Tarheel will meet all of you transmitting needs. I haven't delved into scanners but i use a handheld 2M/70cm that picks up all of the local ER.

I have an FT-857 and use it for a base station and the rare mobile use with simple hamstick antennas. As Madball says, it's 100W and does all modes and all bands (HF, 2M, 70cm). It's a nice all purpose compromise. iCom makes a similar radio.

Back
Top Bottom